Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #1

Just put deposit on BSS 3004 and looking for advice

My wife and I have been trolling (in a good way) iRV2 forums for several months while we have been shopping for your first RV. Firstly, thanks for all the great information that we have been able to get through this forum!

Well after months of serious shopping we just put a deposit down on a used 2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004 even though we have yet to even see pictures of the actual rig or a list of options it has. We have spent about an hour in another unit of this model and believe it is the nearest to the perfect rig (for us) that we have seen. Since the supply of this one year only floorplan will always be slim, we thought we would jump on the opportunity to get a unit from a dealer we are comfortable with (TransWest).

Anyway, because we still have plenty of opportunity to negotiate our purchase price and to review the actual rig, I thought I would file my first post in the Newmar Owners Forum to see if anyone has any input or suggestions as we do our due diligence on the rig. Did I mention we are virgin RV owners?!

Any insight on pricing, important options, what to look for in a used rig, etc would be greatly appreciated!

Skip (and Susan)
HornedFrog91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Skip

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

If you want peace of mind you can hire a certified RV tech, and have it inspected. When you take delivery take notes when they show you how things work. Better yet, video recording will help when you have questions down the road.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:09 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Susan and Skip: welcome to the Newmar family!
In case you haven't found it yet the 2016 BSS brochure is online at: https://www.newmarcorp.com/wp-conten...hure_Final.pdf
Two things I would suggest:
1. request all maintenance records for this coach, and ensure all recalls have been done - bulletins are found at: https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/insta...tMode=&nextURL=
2. join David Lester's Facebook group "RV Pricing and Values" and request an appraisal for $30 - I think the price might be too high at $96,900 and David will confirm that, and this will give you leverage for a fair price - you will need to provide the VIN, manufacturer's standard and option list, plus mileage and anything that would affect the market value

See you down the road!
LennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:14 AM   #4

I was going to start this post by saying what a mistake you are making. You will never be home. You won't be able to decide where you want to go etc.

Truth be told, as long as the coach checks out ok, you made a good choice. Every Winter, I set a count down clock until Spring. Since we haven't retired yet, we still have to stay in the area. Otherwise, we would be headed South to a warmer climate.

if you have never owned a motorhome, it may be helpful to get a friend that has one to take a look at it with you. As said above, request any maintenance records or record of ANY work done to the coach.

I hope everything works to your advantage. Enjoy your new 2nd home.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Skip & Susan to the forum and irv2.
Here is a link to TSB's, recalls, brochures and owners guides for your 2016 , just follow directions.
All the links below in my signature have info for the coach also.
QT's # 3 has a BAY STAR Section with info by members of this forum.
Good luck with your coach and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #6

Welcome to the lifestyle. We started with a big pickup camper and did a lot of the learning on that.
Positive discoveries: we loved the freedom and adventure of travel together. Negative discoveries: no chairs. You have to slither out of bed.
We upgraded to a new Bay Star Sport 2702. Things to learn: driving a class A is not driving a van. It sits up high and you feel the wind as well as body roll on irregularities. Don't fight the wheel and overcorrect the steering. Look far ahead and relax your grip on the wheel.
Don't spend money on handling "improvements" until you have a few thousand miles under your belt. Newmar does a good job of weight distribution and selecting the correct wheelbase for the body length. I'll keep everything stock and have several thousand dollars I can spend on gas.
Also, be sure you register for Newgle. It is your best source of information for exactly your coach.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #7

We put eyes on a Bay Star Sport 3013 this morning. We're impressed. For an entry level motorhome it's miles ahead of FR3, A.C.E., Vista, etc. Bigger chassis, better materials, better build. It's a Bay Star on a lighter chassis for the most part.

We'd opt for the Sport instead of the BS 3113 save for a few things. Queen bed instead of king, smaller fridge (6 cf vs 8 cf) and the 20500 lb chassis instead of the 22000 lb chassis.

That said, you made a good choice. We were impressed on many levels with the Sport and the prices are very competitive with the other (and lesser IMHO) entry coaches.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:33 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Check to see that alignment has been done and that the transmission has been updated by a Ford shop so that the"tow haul" functions properly.

be great if you could talk to the previous owner.

Tags
advice