Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Just some unimportant questions on items that confuse me, mostly

I'm certain these questions matter only to me. Part of my path to deciding of whether to buy a motorhome, and which motorhome possibly to buy, if I do buy one. I figure if I went to a Newmar dealer and asked these questions, he would throw me out of his office, but all you folks can do is ignore my questions or laugh at them. If anyone wants to answer any of them, thanks.

1. How much do you pay annually for insurance on your motorhome?How much do you think your motorhome currently is worth?What amount is your deductible?Are there any insurers that you think offer better rates than do others for RVs?Do you insure your motorhome with the same insurer you use for your house and/or cars?
2. For a Ventana LE 3436, there is an option by Newmar (5K070), for zero payment, of “Standard Empire Maple Vinyl Wrapped Stile Cabinets with Mitered Designer Glazed Doors.”I don’t understand what this is all about.Does that mean that the face of these cabinets is cheap lumber covered with cheap vinyl?Really?
3. In the options price lists for 2015, Newmar offers to install a “Whirlpool Two Piece Stacked Washer & Dryer,” in a CSCA 3610 for $2,010 (5J141), and in a VLDP 3436 for $1,613 (option 5J143).Why is there a $397 difference in price for what seems to be the same items?Are the two sets of washers and dryers the same?Why does Newmar offer to install just the W/D prep cabinets to house a stackable washer/dryer in the CSCA 3610 for $468 (5J780) and not offer a roughin option at all in a VLDC 3436? Or did they accidentally omit the roughin option from their options sheet?There are many anomalies in the options price lists concerning which I don’t understand.Are there reasons for these anomalies?
4. Why is it that if you opt for “Double Pane Tinted Windows” in a VLDP 3436 or a VLDP 3636 (5T070), you cannot also opt for a “Residential Refrigerator”?Is the weight for the extra panes of glass so much and the NCC for these models so limited that the coaches can’t carry the extra weight of both?If so, might that not indicate that these coaches are under-engineered?
jjva343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"jjva343".....I'll take a shot at a couple of these.

1. How much do you pay annually for insurance on your motor home? How much do you think your motorhome currently is worth? What amount is your deductible? Are there any insurers that you think offer better rates than do others for RVs? Do you insure your motorhome with the same insurer you use for your house and/or cars?

The insurance has a lot to do with driving record, State of residence, credit score and so on. Ours is approximately $1350 a year in California.

My deductible is $500.00, but my comprehensive I have set at $100.00. This covers any windshield replacements.

My coach is new and is probably about 10%-20% less than I paid 8 months ago. (Hard question to answer).

There are several companies that offer insurance. I always try to inure everything I own with the same company, that way if I'm towing my truck with my motor home and there's an accident, there is no arguing.

2. For a Ventana LE 3436, there is an option by Newmar (5K070), for zero payment, of “Standard Empire Maple Vinyl Wrapped Stile Cabinets with Mitered Designer Glazed Doors.” I don’t understand what this is all about. Does that mean that the face of these cabinets is cheap lumber covered with cheap vinyl? Really?

Many coaches use vinyl. My 2005 Monaco Diplomat was a very nice coach and a midline entry. The cabinets were vinyl wrapped frames with real doors. You would have to look very close to know. Every company uses different levels of finish. If you buy a King Air, all the wood has multiple coats of clear.

3. In the options price lists for 2015, Newmar offers to install a “Whirlpool Two Piece Stacked Washer & Dryer,” in a CSCA 3610 for $2,010 (5J141), and in a VLDP 3436 for $1,613 (option 5J143). Why is there a $397 difference in price for what seems to be the same items? Are the two sets of washers and dryers the same? Why does Newmar offer to install just the W/D prep cabinets to house a stackable washer/dryer in the CSCA 3610 for $468 (5J780) and not offer a rough in option at all in a VLDC 3436? Or did they accidentally omit the rough in option from their options sheet? There are many anomalies in the options price lists concerning which I don’t understand. Are there reasons for these anomalies?

This is a question you need to call Newmar about. It could be as simple as needing a more extensive cabinet design to fit them in one vs the other. One model may not have the space or only the space for a combo....again clarify with Newmar.

4. Why is it that if you opt for “Double Pane Tinted Windows” in a VLDP 3436 or a VLDP 3636 (5T070), you cannot also opt for a “Residential Refrigerator”? Is the weight for the extra panes of glass so much and the NCC for these models so limited that the coaches can’t carry the extra weight of both? If so, might that not indicate that these coaches are under-engineered?

Can't help you on this one.....I'm guessing there is another reason than weight. My DSDP, fully loaded, including the washer/dryer, windows and 30 other options comes in 6K lower than the GVWR.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #3

For these particular four subjects, I suggest that you do what I do.

For No. 1, go to the search engine at the top of the page and enter "Newmar insurance" or "motorhome insurance" and search for previous posts on irv2.com. NUMEROUS posts on this subject can be found.

For No. 2-4, I would imagine that a Newmar dealer would be your best bet for those answers. They will not think that they are silly questions.
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #4

I can answer your option sheet questions, because I had the same questions when we ordered ours.

Here is what Newmar told me directly: They can't put everything that they will do on the option sheet. It would be to big, like the size of a book.

The problem we as consumers face, their dealers don't always know what Newmar is willing to do.

The best thing for you to do is call Newmar.

Seriously, call Newmar. You're spending a Lot of money, the only way to make sure you're happy is to deal with Newmar directly.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #5

We went with Hartford insurance via AARP as a friend mentioned it to us and it was significantly cheaper than other companies including Blue Sky that had been cheaper than others when we insured our previous 5th wheel. Apparently there is *some benefit to getting old after all...

For your vinyl cabinet question #2, yes the doors will be real wood and the frames /faces will be vinyl coating over some kind of wood. We had the same setup in our 5th wheel, and when it came time to sell, no way could I fix up those cabinet sides/faces to look nice. So for our CS 3920, I opted for the real wood everything upgrade. Quite pricey but very very nice cabinets! Easy to clean and the "finish" color won't wear off like the vinyl did.

For your washer /dryer question #3, the CS model we have only have the combo unit prep as an option. Standard is a cabinet that mounts above the w/d location so a stacked unit couldn't fit there. Perhaps something similar causes the differences in the Ventana options??

If your dealer makes you feel these are silly questions, time to find a new dealer. How are they going to treat you *after they have your money?!

cheers
tilliejacque is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse