Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2020, 05:00 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJWinn View Post
I recently experienced the same issue when I had my surge protector pig tail in use, LED indicators/displays showed L1<L2 disparities. I eventually removed the SP Pig Tail and everything works fine.
Happened to me too...Crooked River State Park.

My Precision Circuits Power Control System panel displayed a split between L1 voltage and L2 voltage. Later we had a trip on the poles 50A breaker. They sent an electrician out. I wrote to Precision Circuits about my display. They wrote back to tell me there is nothing wrong with their display. I should check the voltage between Ground and Neutral. It was like 8 volts. Something else in the campground was causing this. After we left that site...never another problem.

If nothing changed on the OP’s rig...and suddenly this problem has arisen...I’m thinking a wiring issue or other tenant has a wiring issue causing the issue for him.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2020, 11:04 AM   #58

GFI issues

I had all sorts of little electrical issues from 12 conversion to 120 v until I replaced my GFI. The 12 v furnace Nd 120 v TV are now just fine. GFI’s can go bad...
Gump159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:18 PM   #59

That would make me tear my hair out if there was any hair left- To find out that the neighbor that plugged in near by is the one that’s throwing off my GFI. Unneeded BS or what.
hoofbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:43 AM   #60

Do not plug your RV into a GFI circuit if at all possible! There is a reason it does not have one on the shore power cord. GFI's in series do not play nice.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:36 AM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter363y View Post
You say that there are other campers plugged in at your storage area. Run your cord over to one of those other outlets that work. If it doesn’t trip it then the gfci is bad. I have seen those go bad/weak and needed replaced. If it pops the gfci then the problem is in your camper.

If you’re tripping the ground fault circuit that is one problem if your tripping a breaker that is something entirely different.

Breakers are not rated to carry the full amount of rated current. I think it is only rated to carry 80 % of the rated load for a long period of time.

Try that and work safe
Scooter

I plugged the coach into a friends house GFI and it also popped so it is not related to the storage area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebfan View Post
As previous reply suggested,turn off all the breakers in the coach,then turn them back on one at a time till the breaker trips. Had similar problem with my TT and turning off breaker to converter fixed the problem

Already did that; as soon as I turn on the Mains it pops with all other breakers open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaDude View Post
Lots of speculation here, but I believe your batteries are too low and the 5 amp setting is not keeping them charged sufficiently. I encountered this same dilemma driveway surfing on a 15amp GFCI outlet. I had also set my charger setting at 5 amp and that was good for a couple of days until it started tripping the breaker. Not the ground fault but the breaker itself. After I independently charged my battery string and went back to normal settings, I was good for a couple of days until it started tripping again.

Batteries were fully charged via the generator before plugging in the coach; it is not tripping a breaker just the GFI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsammons View Post
Turn all the breakers off in your coach. Plug the coach in to the storage outlet. Turn your breakers on, one at a time, until you trip the gfci. Turn that breaker off and reset the gfci. This will be the circuit causing the gfci to trip. There may be more than one circuit causing the gfci to trip so you may have to repeat this until you know which circuits need to be left off.

Can't do this; see above comment on breakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Taylor View Post
Is your hot water heater on electric?

All Oasis stuff is OFF at the Oasis unit so no power being used by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlpeloquin View Post
You said you had a power reel. They do have problems with connections getting loose internally. I wish I had seen this sooner and recommended that you open it up and check the nuts to make sure that they are tight.

I took it apart and all connections were clean and tight with no stray wires.

The dealer indicated they think it may be in the Surge circuit in the transfer switch. They are trying to source a new one to see if it corrects the problem.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:16 AM   #62

I had this issue as well. Some gifts would work and some not.... I have the xantrex xc 2000 inverter/charger, so I reached out to xantrex. They were super helpful. They said there is a couple of possibilities. 1. faulty GFI (ruled out as I tried many and man locations) 2. short causing the GFI to trip (same thing, tried some and not all tripped) 3. setting in the charger (there is a setting that is is set from 5 amps to 30 amp. my understanding it is the load it pulls at startup). The service person suggested starting at 5 amps to see if that works and work your way up. the default is 30 amps. I started at 5 and ended up at 20 amps and now it works!

2020 Bay Star 3005
hanla05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanla05 View Post
I had this issue as well. Some gifts would work and some not.... I have the xantrex xc 2000 inverter/charger, so I reached out to xantrex. They were super helpful. They said there is a couple of possibilities. 1. faulty GFI (ruled out as I tried many and man locations) 2. short causing the GFI to trip (same thing, tried some and not all tripped) 3. setting in the charger (there is a setting that is is set from 5 amps to 30 amp. my understanding it is the load it pulls at startup). The service person suggested starting at 5 amps to see if that works and work your way up. the default is 30 amps. I started at 5 and ended up at 20 amps and now it works!

2020 Bay Star 3005
Thank you for the information. I tried the power management at 5 amps but it still tripped the GFI. Dealer is still looking for the cause.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:26 AM   #64

Plug into a non-gfi shore power OR trip the GFI circuit in the RV and the problem will go away.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:09 AM   #65

I had a similar problem at my house. One day my gfci in the kitchen would pop. I’d reset and the sometime overnight it would pop again. I had installed a sprinkler timer in the yard inside a Chinese made box with a duplex outlet in it to run the timer. That outside outlet would get moisture in it at night and pop the gfci. I replaced that duplex outlet with an American made UL approved outlet and all my troubles vanished. Check and if in doubt replace any outside outlets and covers that might get exposed to water.
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:53 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update on the GFI tripping issue:

Finally got the coach back from the dealer..was there for 3 months..another whole story. Dealer could not recreate the GFI fault. They said they tried several different GFI outlets at their facility but none would trip. I drove the coach back home and plugged it into my storage area slot with only 20A GFI available and it held for 10 hours then tripped. I reset it and it lasted 24 hours. I reset it again and so far is holding for 4 days. What a wacky system.

Long story short...the dealer did no work on the electrical but it now seems to be back to "normal". Will keep checking it frequently via Rozie to make sure it stays on.
Old 02-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #67

I agree with Paul on checking any outside outlets for moisture / condensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Update on the GFI tripping issue:

Finally got the coach back from the dealer..was there for 3 months..another whole story. Dealer could not recreate the GFI fault. They said they tried several different GFI outlets at their facility but none would trip. I drove the coach back home and plugged it into my storage area slot with only 20A GFI available and it held for 10 hours then tripped. I reset it and it lasted 24 hours. I reset it again and so far is holding for 4 days. What a wacky system.

Long story short...the dealer did no work on the electrical but it now seems to be back to "normal". Will keep checking it frequently via Rozie to make sure it stays on.
How old is your GFI outlet? I had one that got more and more sensitive as it aged. Turned out it was a no-name cheapie like what Harbor Freight sells or Home depot puts in their "contractor" 5-pack or 10-pack. I put in a good Leviton and my GFI false trip problem went away.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Mike
Old 02-16-2021, 08:12 AM   #68

I have had 3 RV's with built-in Ground Fault breakers that did not play well when plugged into circuits protected by GFI's. The RV's ranged in age from a 2001 to my current 2019. The RV's GFI were auto reset while the campground, fairground, RV park were manual reset. The first time I stayed at a fairground I unplugged and ran the gennie, park management was very accommodating, the following year I went back and did not have a problem because the fairgrounds had removed the GFI from the pedestal.

The work around is to build a blackbox to trick the GFI but is expensive and heavy because of the transformer needed. No easy solution.

Point to ponder is the parks GFI were all 30 amp and the RV's all had 50 amp service. Perhaps isolating a 50 amp leg might work, thinking out loud.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:37 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerdogger View Post
I have had 3 RV's with built-in Ground Fault breakers that did not play well when plugged into circuits protected by GFI's. The RV's ranged in age from a 2001 to my current 2019. The RV's GFI were auto reset while the campground, fairground, RV park were manual reset. The first time I stayed at a fairground I unplugged and ran the gennie, park management was very accommodating, the following year I went back and did not have a problem because the fairgrounds had removed the GFI from the pedestal.

The work around is to build a blackbox to trick the GFI but is expensive and heavy because of the transformer needed. No easy solution.

Point to ponder is the parks GFI were all 30 amp and the RV's all had 50 amp service. Perhaps isolating a 50 amp leg might work, thinking out loud.
Turning off the RV GFI circuit will solve the problem. Shore power GFI will not trip. you will be without a few outlets in the RV but you will get by.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:20 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerdogger View Post

What's a auto reset GFCI look like ?

I have only seen the ones that need to be reset manually.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker