Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep Tripping Breaker

We have the coach on 15A power with everything I can find turned OFF including:
Oasis Power--OFF
Refrigerator-OFF at breaker
Charger set to 5A
Power shed--On
Input Power-Auto with max. amps of 15
12V disconnect engaged
Floor Heat--OFF on all

Despite all this the GFI (public storage area) the breaker pops within second of plugging in the coach. It has been fine until recently. I changed to two other outlets from the same master box and they do the same thing so I doubt it is a bad GFI. Power cord is the same as I have been using for weeks and there is no apparent damage to it.

My plan for tomorrow is to remove the cord reel and take that apart and look at the transfer switch. The transfer switch will transfer power when the genset is on; had to run it today to recharge my batteries.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2020, 04:51 PM   #2

Did you add a surge guard ?

Anything new in the RV ?

Unplug fridge/ice maker as a test ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Surge guard is part of the transfer switch from the factory.

Nothing new added to the coach.

Refrigerator is off at the AC breaker.

Thank you,
Old 11-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you say 12v disconnect, engaged...the house store switch?

My Ventana has the Energy Management System powered by F15 in the half bath. That entire panel is unpowered with the store switch. I would see what powers yours. If it’s not talking to the inverter...not sure if any of yours cutbacks are effective. If it is powered...I am still scratching my head on this one. Not at all familiar with the New Aire wiring...

I don’t have the magic...but if I manual selected 15A on the Precision Circuits control panel...and then hit the store button...I think the management features have been turned off.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #5

Is it the GFI or the breaker that pop first-- they will trip for ENTIRELY different reasons.

But with everything you have turned off I would start by verifying that your adapter(s) and shore power cord are not at issue. Next would be connections at the ATS and main breaker box. All pretty easy to check.

Has this issue occurred at other places on shore power?
Old 11-30-2020, 05:06 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
12V disconnect does not disconnect much from what I can tell. The coach is Silverleaf controlled so there are power drains everywhere from the various modules.

None of this was an issue a week ago..even had the floor heat on for days and no issues until now. Something has changed but I don't see what yet.
Old 11-30-2020, 07:31 PM   #7

I had similar issues, I was using a 15amp GFI service in my garage to power my motor home in storage, I was told by the electrician that pulled 50p service to my garage that power into a motor home from a gfi will make things all discombobulated. We installed both a 15 am, 30amp and 50amp without a gfi circuit. Everything works without issue. You may be able to test it with a non GFI circuit or a small generator with a 15amp plug.
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddowntown View Post
You may be able to test it with a non GFI circuit or a small generator with a 15amp plug.
What do you believe that you would be accomplishing with this "test" and what is the "it" that you believe you are testing?
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #9

RV's don't play nice with GFCI outlets used for shore power. If you goggle it, you will find all sorts of reasons. Mine did the same so I installed a dedicated non-GFCI outlet for the rig.
Kshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:20 PM   #10

TUrn your RV Main CBs Off and try that GFCI again
If it still trips then issue is between your Main AC Panel and the GFCI outlet
Any Adapters being used, the power cord, the Reel Contacts, the ATS

GFCI ...imbalance between HOT and Neutral/...as little as 5ma will cause the GFCI to trip
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:24 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
GFCI do not trip on excess power draw, rather a ground fault. Unless - its current sensor has saturated (ensure charger shore setting is reduced, no air conditioning on, etc).

RVs and GFCI protected shore power often do not play well together - usually due to ground fault situations that can be inherent to RVs.

Best to swap out the GFCI or use different non GFCI protected circuit.

If you want to try to isolate a ground fault source. Drop all breakers in the main/sub breaker panel. Then bring them on individually until it trips.

A ground fault likely is occuring when the inverter bypass relay transfers the neutral/ground bonding. It may be timing sensitive - so occurs intermittently.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:25 PM   #12

Have you tried unplugging your block heater? That resolved a similar problem for us.
TheBigBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Surge guard is part of the transfer switch from the factory.

Nothing new added to the coach.

Refrigerator is off at the AC breaker.

Thank you,
Turning off the fridge breaker does not fix ground fault, pulling plug will.

Breaker switchs off hot line. Ground faults can be between neutral and ground, they are not switched off. Pulling plug does that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:26 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your rig worked this way before, no problem, on that exact outlet... You might try a different GCFI outlet at a different place entirely. I have seen problems, more when using 50A...but if an outlet or rv, which has recently connected to your loop, has an issue...it can screw up others on the same cluster. Many times a cluster of outlets or pedestals share the same main panel. One bad connection, bad appliance, or mis-wired Neutral/Ground influences others at times. Might see if there is a significant voltage at your Outlet...measure AC voltage between Ground and Neutral. With your rv unplugged...the problem is somewhere else in the cluster.

Tags
breaker