Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #1

Keeping steps retracted

On my entry steps, the lowest step is only about 3-4" high. This means that, if I want to park in the street next to the curb, the step contacts the curb and is prevented from coming all the way out, which can't be good for the motor/mechanism. Is there any way to prevent the steps from opening when the door is opened?
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think its a safety factor to extend steps when door opens. If you can control door switch magnet switch you may be able to over ride it.
Park coach away from curb to clear.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
The step controller will shut off the motor if it stalls for over a second or so. Actually that is how it works at the end of travel, at least on the two
I've had.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Ours has a switch on the wall by the inside steps/door that you can turn on or off, sometimes we let ours extend and then turn the switch off so they are out all the time, saves on the motor and don't have to wait for it to extend to go inside or outside when parked at the CG or in the driveway. We also have a button to turn the 12 volt on or off and that will stop them also.
hope this helps.

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your steps are Kwikee then depending on the age of the controller the door switch is either "Normally open" or "Normally closed"

here is how to figure it out two ways

One is to download the service manuals from Kwikee and read it.. Since I do not have the manual handy I'll describe you the other

With the steps locked out (Safer this way) find the two light guage wires coming from the door switch and cut one.. If the step light comes on when you cut the wires then the switch closed means door closed. Solder both cut ends to ONE side of a toggle switch, and expose a bit of the other wire and solder it to the other side of the toggle switch (SPST Switch) Closing the switch keeps the steps retracted.. See notes below.

IF the light stays OFF when you cut the wire.. Open the door (light should remain off) and re-connect the wires... IF the light now comes on solder one cut end to each side of a SPST toggle.

So, If light comes on when you cut wire with door closed.

------ wire
Switch
------- wire

If light comes on when you touch them together with door open

----swtich----

--------------

NOTEs:

BEWARE THE STEP.. You do not want to be in it's way if it should decide to move.
Keep clear of the step.

NOTE: if the step light is burned out.. Extend the two cut ends out from under the coach using jumper wires and leave the steps in the "Operate" mode (not locked out)

Note: You can "extend" the wires to wherever you mount the switch

My switch is in the carpeted side of the stair well above the bottom most indoor step, completely hidden in normal operation (I have to feel for it to toggle it)
Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #6

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Don't park that close to the curb. I try to avoid getting close to the curb and having the problem you mention.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I like the toggle switch idea myself. Some of the places we overnight I try to get as close to the curb as possible to keep my slides out of the roadway.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #8

Bob,

I have 09 DutchStar. Same issue as you have. Was told that in 09 the manufacture took out the switch to avoid steps from opening. An apparant law suit where some one turn off the switch, step out the coach and received an injury from falling.

My RV dealer was easily able to by pass the system and put a kill swith on the passenger panel were the bay switches etc... are located for less then $100.

Don't know the ins and out of it, but was able to wire it up from under the steps some how.
Doc C is offline   Reply With Quote