Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 04:30 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
KIB panel outage

While attempting to add a second KIB kitchen panel that I ordered from Newmar closer to the main cooking area I managed to trip something in PARTS of the KIB system. ‘19 Ventana 4310.

I had temporarily attached the white (neutral) and black (12v) lines and the panel had the blue glow as expected on the new panel. Then as I tried to temp attach the blue (signal?) wire I lost the blue glow and couldn’t get it back. I believe I shorted something although I’m not sure how. Then I discovered that 3 other panels had lost their glow and were now inoperable. Hall bath; hallway; entry door.

I powered off the 12v system via the passenger console switch waited a minute and powered back up; the KIB system came back in the same state. There are the 3 inoperable original panels, new panel is disconnected and all wires taped off; but the other 5 panels in the coach all work just fine.

Anyone have any experience with a partial KIB outage? And if so how did you restore the inoperable panels? Eg., any fuses inside the KIB enclosure etc.

Thanks in advance.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 10:53 AM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Did you check to see if you just turned off the panels. Some of the panels, like the bedroom panels can be turned off. One of the three panels would have to have the button to turn off the panel if the above is the issue.

If I recall, I believe there are a couple of fuses inside the KIB box.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The blue wire is the signal (VBUS). It operates at 5V. Given that the other panels are working (both backlighting and functionality), then no damage done there.

I would check the voltage on the other two wires (12V, GND). I'm thinking perhaps there are separate fuses for different groups of the switches. If no power at the switch then check for blown fuses. Not sure if it would be in the KIB control box, the electrical bay, or the half bath fuse box.
Old 05-16-2022, 01:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Did you check to see if you just turned off the panels. Some of the panels, like the bedroom panels can be turned off. One of the three panels would have to have the button to turn off the panel if the above is the issue.

If I recall, I believe there are a couple of fuses inside the KIB box.

Thanks Don, I did check that because I typically do keep the bedroom panels backlights off. After the reboot all of the working panels came back at full backlight brightness.

Flyboy13 thanks for the voltage explanation on the signal wire.

I did talk to Newmar first thing this morning** and they suggested I inspect the fuses in the cord reel bay.

We have a weather warning with potential for tornadoes so today after work is the wrong time to pull everything out of the bay and work outside. So tomorrow I’ll check fuses in that bay and inside the KIB box. I’ll let folks know what I find later tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions…

** Just as a side note I had no problem getting through to customer service; but they have switched to a new computer system and didn’t have me in the system for my current coach (still had me with the ‘15 CS). They were able to copy all of my info over from the old system once they realized the issue. So if anyone calls and they don’t have your info you may suggest they look in the old system. I was just in Nappanee at the beginning of December so the new system is pretty recent.

- Richard
Old 05-17-2022, 11:28 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Resolved.

Found in the half bath regular 12v fuse area a 7.5amp fuse labeled “wall switch” that had blown. Changed that out and everything is back to working normal.

Thanks to the folks who gave me hints. Much happier to see the KIB system is fairly robust and whatever I did caused a fuse to trip not a circuit board somewhere.

I did look inside the KIB box and there is also a 3amp fuse inside there (fuse sizes may vary by model).

At this point I will probably wait to continue my additional panel project until after my next trip due to supply chain delays if something does go wrong.

- Richard
Old 05-17-2022, 12:12 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On my 2019 DS, the original kitchen panel at the end of the counter had a harness attached that allowed you to daisy chain another panel to it. If I recall, on my 2019, I just extended those wires, using the plug end to connect the new panel I added at the sink. You might want to pop out that OEM panel and see if it has a spare connector like mine.
Old 05-17-2022, 12:50 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
On my 2019 DS, the original kitchen panel at the end of the counter had a harness attached that allowed you to daisy chain another panel to it. If I recall, on my 2019, I just extended those wires, using the plug end to connect the new panel I added at the sink. You might want to pop out that OEM panel and see if it has a spare connector like mine.

Yep I got the idea from your mod and was testing that the new panel worked if I daisy chained like that with a Ventana panel. However, I just somehow must have touched 2 wires together that I shouldn’t (like constant 12v and 5v signal maybe).

But in my case the panel in the hallway where I was testing has the extra wires to chain; but my kitchen panel doesn’t in the slack portion of the wiring. Either way I am going to need more free time than I have in the next 2 weeks before my trip to trace the wires from that panel in the slideout wall.

- Richard
Old 05-17-2022, 04:31 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Good luck with it, it's a nice feature when done. After procrastinating for two years, I finally put the kill switch on the front entry lights.

Tags
panel