Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2021, 03:07 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
KIB screen not showing a “furnace” option.

With a KIB screen not showing the furnace mode option I cannot turn on the hydronic heat. All other modes, including Auto are available, and attempt to start the heat pump. I have hot water. Cold here in PA.
Thanks in advance for your help.

BobbyJ
Bobbyj56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #2

KIB screen not showing a “furnace” option.

I believe the available modes are discovered by the thermostat when it communicates with the Penguin rooftop AC units (these are also wired to control the furnace). Each rooftop unit has DIP switches that configure it - furnace control is one of the options.

I just checked my KiB controller’s setup screens - there is nothing on the thermostat to tell it what each zone is capable of. The only options are if the zone is enabled; and if It should show HVAC controls. Hence; the thermostat is discovering the capabilities during initialization.

Two options: turn off the switch at the entry door; to reboot the thermostat (some call this this “salesman switch”)

Or:
power the ac units down at the breakers; and also pull the “HVAC controls” 12 volt fuse (in 4081 that’s in the half bath).

Basically reboot the entire system; so the thermostat can relearn the capabilities.

I’ve not experienced this problem ; but drawing on learnings when I added a 3rd AC to my coach. Hope this helps, and you get warm!
ChrisFSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 08:16 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I can’t tell from your signature block your model of Newmar.

I don’t know if you tried this already but I made this mistake. As a Newmar newbie I tried to get my Oasis to heat the coach in Colorado last month where it had formerly been hot. I ran my air conditioners on MED or HIGH fan when running the AC in direct sunlight. Turns out for the Oasis system they must be on FURN and AUTO to heat the coach.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:07 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ok. Getting closer to finding a fix. The DIP switch recommendation is gaining traction. Great response Chris. So very thankful.
I pulled the cover off of the #1 Dometic Penguin HVAC on the roof and the the furnace (switch) was not in the “on” position. I spoke to KIB and they confirmed the problem is on the roof with the DIP switch settings. I called Dometic. They sent me the installation instructions. I will know more tomorrow after I read the manual and start flipping switches.

Oh yes, I didn’t think this was relevant at the time because I assumed it was an Oasis/KIB interface issue. Turns out now it’s going to be the DIP switch settings on the roof A/C. Also, I should mention that Newmar replaced that A/C unit in May of this year. Hmmm…

I could not have made that connection without your comments.

So, if you are having problems with your touch screen control and the Oasis furnace. Maybe it’s the Penguin on the roof?

Super thanks.

BobbyJ
2020 Dutch Star 4369
Old 10-10-2021, 12:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Totally fixed (we have furnace heat) thanks to responses from this forum, Newmar Service support and Dometic Customer support who sent the Installation Manuel.
All I had to do was remove the top cover of the air conditioner and two screws that held the cover plate to expose the multiDip Switch panel. Using a small screwdriver I flipped on the Furnace switch. Fixed!

So, when you have service done to your air conditioner, a new install in my case several months ago, don’t be a DIP like me. Make sure your DIP switches are properly set on the unit.

Thanks again for all of your responses.

BobbyJ
2020 DSDP.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:21 PM   #6

Dip switch

So on my Newmar 2021 Vantana 4369 I have three ACs on the roof and I noticed that front unit has furnace step switch on the middle unit does not have a furnace on the rear unit does have furnace on I don’t know if this was intentional maybe just the front and the rear work the furnace maybe somebody could let me know
dig601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:19 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dig601 View Post
So on my Newmar 2021 Vantana 4369 I have three ACs on the roof and I noticed that front unit has furnace step switch on the middle unit does not have a furnace on the rear unit does have furnace on I don’t know if this was intentional maybe just the front and the rear work the furnace maybe somebody could let me know
You are correct. You will have a furnace mode only on the LR and BR screens.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
This was my post, and I should have updated sooner, but the front heating loop is now operational, thanks to Mark, the traveling repairman from Newmar. He is stationed in Ft. Myers or Orlando and services Newmar products in various Florida locations, including Naples, Fl. So during our vacation he arrived to fix this issue, and went through all of the normal troubleshooting ideas, including replacing the $350 circuit board that was thought to be faulty, to no avail. He was very concerned at this point, as this project became much larger in scope. We talked and he made a few phone calls. He was asked to track the "blue" wire from the first or leading Dometic AC on the roof. This one controls the front Oasis loop, the #3 unit controls the rear loop. So he then removed several layers of the #1 Dometic HVAC unit, and found the wiring harness (that included the blue wire). It was just laying there, unplugged. Well then, there it is; the problem. He plugged it in, we laughed; fixed. As mentioned previously this AC unit was installed by Newmar at the Service Center 10 months previous. Therefore, it was obvious that it was never plugged in, since we only had the problem after the new AC unit was installed at the Service Center. Therefore, he was kind enough to move the charges back to them, and of course, I thanked him for that. And now we have heat and fans in the front Oasis loop of our 2020 Dutch Star.
All things can be fixed. Even an Oasis problem, that was a KIB problem, that was a Dometic problem, that turned out to be a Service Tech not plugging in the wiring harness during the install of the AC unit on the roof.
Clear as Mud, right?
Thank you Mark and Thank you Newmar!!

Tags
ace, furnace, scr