Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
KIB VBUS Lighting Control Module

I haven't written on this forum for a while but I thought someone may be able to help me.
I have a 2013 Newmar Essex which I am completely happy with. Great coach.
Here is the problem: when I turned on the Oasis heater system, I noticed that the heater in the bathroom did not work when I turned it on using the Silverleaf display.
The heating system worked everywhere in the coach except the bathroom.
I looked in the KIB VBUS Lighting control module in a metal box that is in the bathroom cupboard behind the toilet and saw that a red light was turned on for the stool room heater on the circuit board.
Any ideas on what this means and how do I correct the fault?
mb2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!
When you say did not work, do you mean the silverleaf system didn't see it out control it or was there just no heat coming out of the baseboard vent?

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
On our 2011 Essex, there is a separate "blower switch" on the wall with the light and water pump switches for the toilet area. Did you turn the "blower switch" on? And, is the heater/blower on in the general bathroom area near the sink and stacked washer/dryer?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
On the Silverleaf system (Display) I turned on the heat for the bathroom, as well as the blower switch on the wall in the bathroom. No heat or fan worked.
The Silverleaf system didn't give me an out of control warning.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2013 View Post
On the Silverleaf system (Display) I turned on the heat for the bathroom, as well as the blower switch on the wall in the bathroom. No heat or fan worked. The Silverleaf system didn't give me an out of control warning.
On your Silverleaf, what is the heat "set temp" versus the current actual temp for the bathroom? And are BOTH bathroom heater outlets inop?
Old 03-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #6

Having gone through something similar with my older (e-plex) Essex recently it was stuck valves in the oasis distribution box that was causing the issue. Once I was able to free the valves fab and great came on.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The bathroom temperature was set for heat on the Silverleaf system at 69F versus 56F current temperature.
I have a 4 slideout floorplan so I have only 1 bathroom.
Thanks SPINN, I'll check the distribution box to see if that's the problem (stuck valves).
I'd still would like to know what the red Led light means when it is lit on the circuit board. I couldn't find any documentation on this even on the KIB Electronics website.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
On page 73 of this PFD is the red led a indication of what is the NOW setting operational in the Climate Bath Control Screen?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I read the PFD and I don't remember seeing that symbol on the Now Screen.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
MB2013,
Ran out to the back garage and checked our 2011 Essex. First, both heaters in our bathroom work (in the stool room and the cabinet outlet to the left of the sink). I opened the KIB Control box and observed the following:
1.) There is a red LED illuminated at "F1", sorry, don't know what F1 indicates unless it's power to that FET board as the only two things I see on that board are the "Stool room heater blower" and the water pump.
2.) when I select the "Stool Room Blower" switch on the KIB switch panel the red LED remains illuminated AND a green LED illuminates indicating the heater blower switch was selected. When the heater blower switch is turned off, the green LED turns off.
3.) When the water pump switch is selected, a green LED illuminates in the water pump connection area; when deselected, the green LED turns off. BTW, you will quickly deduce that any KIB switch you select throughout the coach will illuminate a corresponding green LED on the associated FET PC board (ceiling lights, accent lights, wall lights, ETC).

So, the question back to you is: when you select the "stool room blower" does a green LED illuminate (the blower green LED is VERY CLOSE to the red F1 LED, so look closely)?
Old 03-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
MB2013,
Ran out to the back garage and checked our 2011 Essex. First, both heaters in our bathroom work (in the stool room and the cabinet outlet to the left of the sink). I opened the KIB Control box and observed the following:
1.) There is a red LED illuminated at "F1", sorry, don't know what F1 indicates unless it's power to that FET board as the only two things I see on that board are the "Stool room heater blower" and the water pump.
2.) when I select the "Stool Room Blower" switch on the KIB switch panel the red LED remains illuminated AND a green LED illuminates indicating the heater blower switch was selected. When the heater blower switch is turned off, the green LED turns off.
3.) When the water pump switch is selected, a green LED illuminates in the water pump connection area; when deselected, the green LED turns off. BTW, you will quickly deduce that any KIB switch you select throughout the coach will illuminate a corresponding green LED on the associated FET PC board (ceiling lights, accent lights, wall lights, ETC).

So, the question back to you is: when you select the "stool room blower" does a green LED illuminate (the blower green LED is VERY CLOSE to the red F1 LED, so look closely)?
F1 would typically be a designation for a fuse. Red LEDs are often used in the world of automation to indicate a blown fuse. If you turn the heater off on your control system, look and see if the red light goes out....if so it it could be a blown fuse indicator.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotec View Post
F1 would typically be a designation for a fuse. Red LEDs are often used in the world of automation to indicate a blown fuse. If you turn the heater off on your control system, look and see if the red light goes out....if so it it could be a blown fuse indicator.
First, on our Essex the heater blower works with the red LED illuminated. I also tried cycling various lights, pumps ETC on and off - the red LED remained illuminated and lastly I cycled everything off... and the red LED remained illuminated. From the testing I did on our 2011 Essex, the red LED has nothing to do with the OPs blower fan not working. Also, the fuses on the KIB cards are surfaced mounted and visible for replacement.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you Stealth01 for your message.
Sorry, I was out to a surprise birthday party for a friend last night and I didn't see you message till this morning. This morning I did the same as you and the green led light also turned on like you on the F1 connection and the red led light remained on. There is only 1 fuse on the board and it is ok when I checked. Very perplexing as a problem. I also checked the blower heater in the bathroom and found no fuse on the wiring around there.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
MB2013,
Because that red LED is perplexing, I contacted the KIB engineers this AM via email. Here is the engineering response: "The REL-8 relay PCB in your V-Bus control center can be configured to use the relays as a “dry” normally open or normally closed contact set, or have 12VDC applied to the relay common contact through F1, an ATC type fuse, for a 12VDC output. In your coach application, the stool room heater relay is used as a dry normally open contact set to control the stool room heater blower. The LED would be an indication of F1 being open, if it was installed to supply 12VDC to the stool room relay common terminal. Since no fuse F1 is installed in your application, the LED is lighted at all times. I hope this answers your question, please feel free to contact me for further information."
Now, I have to ask one other question... and I ONLY ASK because I have done this... Are you SURE that "heat" is selected on the Silverleaf system?? I have cursed my self numerous times when I found a "zone" not heating and subsequently found that I had accidentally turned the heat off for a particular zone. If heat is on and the set temp is well above ambient, I would be calling the Oasis engineers or using their trouble shooting guide to try and narrow the issue down. If you need a copy of the Oasis T/S guide just give me a yell.