RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #1

King Aire Audio/Video Switch Distribution

King Aire 2012 or 2013 model year HDMI cable wiring (Factory standard install) question:

1) Do they use a dedicated HDMI cable from each TV and run it to the entertainment center or central location ?

2) Do they run 2 cables from the Satellite Dish to the entertainment center ? I notice the satellite control box from the outdoor dome is above the driver front area while the entertainment center is next to the refrigerator. Do they run wires from the satellite control box to the entertainment center. Where would you put 2 satellite receivers, in the front driver side or in the entertainment center ? Again, these are my observation viewing video promo of the King Aire.

3) Do they use a 4 x 4 HDMI Matrix Switch or the Sony AV receiver to distribute the signals to the individual TVís ?

I am asking this question because I would like the option to be able to use all my input devices (Blue-Ray and 2 Satellite signals) and broadcast that signals on ANY TV as I desire for flexibility. I am not sure why the need for an extra Blue-Ray player dedicated in the bedroom in the bedroom on the Newmar video promo if all the input devices can be centrally located and shared by other TV's on demand.

Vlad

Vlady Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlady Daddy View Post
King Aire 2012 or 2013 model year HDMI cable wiring (Factory standard install) question:

1) Do they use a dedicated HDMI cable from each TV and run it to the entertainment center or central location ?

Yes

2) Do they run 2 cables from the Satellite Dish to the entertainment center ? I notice the satellite control box from the outdoor dome is above the driver front area while the entertainment center is next to the refrigerator. Do they run wires from the satellite control box to the entertainment center. Where would you put 2 satellite receivers, in the front driver side or in the entertainment center ? Again, these are my observation viewing video promo of the King Aire.

Everything for front TV(s) happen from above the drivers seat. Bedroom TV has it's own DVD and sat receiver. Sat coax is run to both locations.

3) Do they use a 4 x 4 HDMI Matrix Switch or the Sony AV receiver to distribute the signals to the individual TVís ?

On our 2013 DS they used powered HDMI splitters. I pulled them out and ran the DVD and our media player through the Sony AV receiver.

I am asking this question because I would like the option to be able to use all my input devices (Blue-Ray and 2 Satellite signals) and broadcast that signals on ANY TV as I desire for flexibility. I am not sure why the need for an extra Blue-Ray player dedicated in the bedroom in the bedroom on the Newmar video promo if all the input devices can be centrally located and shared by other TV's on demand.

Vlad
Living room and bedroom are not linked (that I've figured out) in any way.

This is what I've found on our Dutch Star. Our Wii got hooked straight to the TV.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
On our 07 Essex we can add 2 satellite receivers. Our distibution box allows 4 inputs and 4 outputs. We have 4 TV's and all the inputs can be viewed from any TV in the coach by selecting the desired input.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

Thanks for the input @ PDR John.

Iron Man, did you get 2 satellite receivers. If so, was the 2nd located in the bedroom ? This is just to confirm, PDR Johns setup, if a separate HDMI cable can be "special request" to home run from bedroom to entertainment center.

My plan is to place both satellite receivers (and any input device) on the entertainment center or central location next to the HDMI matrix switch (with built-in IR remote control). Finally, communicate to all IR input devices (including the HDMI matrix switch) via RF remote controls assign to each TV display.

If the plan works, I can change the input display via RF remote control to any TV without getting up from the sofa or going in and out of the RV from outside entertainment TV and still have the full functionally of changing the channel or volume using the RF remote control assign to that TV display.

The key here is to have all input device close/next to the HDMI Matrix switch, since the plan is to use a RF extender for remote controls.
Vlady Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
First, the HD distribution system on the '12/'13 KGDB is nothing like the one used in the '07 Essex (which is like our '08 KGDB).

On the '12/'13 units, there's no video switch system like the earlier ones. There's a component splitter system that's designed to distribute the output of one (1) HD Sat receiver to all TV locations. There's an HDMI splitter that distributes the output of the Living Room BD/DVD Player to the LR TVs (mid-coach and front) plus the outside TV. The bedroom TV is not included by default since it has it's own BD/DVD player.

Newmar puts in two BD/DVD players to allow different disks to be played in the front/back of the unit. And then they don't connect the BR TV to the front player. You can get them to add that cable as a special.

The wiring is in place for the second sat receiver to be located in the bedroom cabinet above the TV. I think it's only one cable, so you'll need a 2nd run if you want to use a dual tuner DVR. Or you need to convert to an SWM setup.

I have the A/V wiring diagram for the '12 models. I don't think it's changed for '13.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #6

HI! If you are custom building they will do what you want. We were the first to do 3D LED tv's. They would not do them at first. We elimanated the RGB wiring and had 2 HDMI and 1 cat 5 wire run from all 4 tv's to the entertainment center. We had a KVH in motion sat, and the Winegard 5 LNB Slimline also installed. The KVH unit is above the driver and runs a coax cable back to the entertainment center to plug into a Directv receiver. The Winegard has 4 coax cable sent to the center. They did some HDMI splitters like Joe described. We ripped them out and installed a 4 channel HDMI 3D capable Matrix switcher in the center. That allowed us to send 4 signals to any of the 4 tv's that we wished. We have 3 Directv receivers in the center. 2 for the Winegard full HD, 1 for the KVH does not get HD. I also installed a small Dell computer in the center with a modem (for when we are in Naples) and a switcher, so we could plug all the cat 5 lines into it, plus the computer. We put the HDMI out from the computer on the 4th switch of the Matrix Box. That allowed for me to sit in front of any of the inside tv's with the wireless mouse & keyboard and use the computer. When we are hooked up at Naples we pay for internet service which allows any of the tv's to go on the internet and do whatever. We also have an aircard in a cradlepoint router above the drivers seat, with a antanae on the roof, for when we are underway. I hope that gives you an insight to some of the thing you can do with Newmar when you custom build. Regards, Paul
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #7

Sounds to me like you need to post some pictures of your entertainment center, it sounds cool.

I do like everything in one spot nice and tidy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-21-2012, 04:23 AM   #8

I ran HDMI from the entertainment center to each TV. I had to use Cat5 (2 for each run) and HDMI baluns because of the distances involved and the thickness of long HDMI cables. I used this 4x4 HDMI matrix switch:
For only $145.80 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 4X4 True Matrix HDMIģ Powered Switch w/ Remote (Rev. 3.0) | Auto & Powered HDMI Switches
This switch has an infrared input so can be controlled from a remote but because it is an <inexpensive> switch it does not always sync properly on the first try always when I switch inputs unless I use 720p everywhere (which is what I do).
What switch is Newmar using? And what switch did you use if you did a custom job?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:31 AM   #9

By the way, one signal comes in the coach which is not HDMI and that is the park cable signal which is coax. In order to feed this signal into the 4x4 HDMI matrix it needs to be upconverted. You can use a dedicated box to do an upconvert at around $150. but I found a DVD player-recorder that has a coax input and does an upconvert quite nicely (you can actually force 720p conversion) and that is a Toshiba DR7.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
What switch is Newmar using? And what switch did you use if you did a custom job?
Newmar doesn't use any switches. They use HDMI splitters only in their standard configuration.

I think Paul used matrix switches from Monoprice, but I'm not 100% positive.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #11

This what was in our 2013 Dutch Star.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0586 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	165
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	29398

Name:	DSCF0588 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	150
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	29399

Name:	DSCF0585 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	141
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	29400

Name:	DSCF0587 [1024x768].JPG
Views:	171
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	29401

No control, all outputs are live. Only one input.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
By the way, one signal comes in the coach which is not HDMI and that is the park cable signal which is coax. In order to feed this signal into the 4x4 HDMI matrix it needs to be upconverted. You can use a dedicated box to do an upconvert at around $150. but I found a DVD player-recorder that has a coax input and does an upconvert quite nicely (you can actually force 720p conversion) and that is a Toshiba DR7.
Why in the world would you want to force your cable TV feed through the switcher? Isn't your RV already wired to distribute that signal to each TV already?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
No control, all outputs are live. Only one input.
Yup. That's a splitter, not a switch.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Why in the world would you want to force your cable TV feed through the switcher? Isn't your RV already wired to distribute that signal to each TV already?
The video switch for coax is manual (push-buttons). My HDMI 4x4 is controlled with a universal remote. It also simplifies the system as everything is switched the same way.