Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2021, 08:53 AM   #1

King size mattress - Dutch Star

Any ideas for replacing air mattress in Dutch Star?
linda West is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2021, 10:51 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We're in the market as well. Have a king sleep number in our 14 Entegra. Need recommendations. Camping World only has "Comfort Zone" mixed reviews on it.
SharonandRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:11 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Call these guys with your mattress dimensions. They can make anything you need, their prices are very reasonable, and their customer service is exceptional.

https://www.mattressinsider.com/rv-mattress.html

Ive purchased from them for three different coaches (one cut corner, one with a hinge, and one “off the shelf”) and have always been satisfied.

I even had one that didn’t expand sufficiently because I left it in the box too long (my fault - it sat for several months) and they still replaced it free of charge. If I wasn't satisfied with the sleep number mattress I have in my Ventana, I’d replace it with one from Mattress Insider.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:34 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda West View Post
Any ideas for replacing air mattress in Dutch Star?
CAUTION****** When changing out the mattress, you need to account for the fact that on many models, the mattress/bed slides under the wardrobe cabinets. If you get a mattress more than 10"-11" tall, it won't fit.

We went with short (height) pillow top. For those who like the new foam mattresses, that would probably be the way to go.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:05 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
CAUTION****** When changing out the mattress, you need to account for the fact that on many models, the mattress/bed slides under the wardrobe cabinets. If you get a mattress more than 10"-11" tall, it won't fit.

We went with short (height) pillow top. For those who like the new foam mattresses, that would probably be the way to go.
Like Don just said, don't make the over 10" mistake... I did, Pictures attached. Once that 12" mattress opened up, it was like giving birth to get it out of the door.

It was purchased from Costco, so the return was easy once I got it back to them.
Purchased another one from Costco, this time a 10". I did trim the 10" memory foam down on the sides with a long cake knife to give a bit more clearance by the little built in night stands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed 1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	347223   Click image for larger version

Name:	bed 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	347224  

Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Like Don just said, don't make the over 10" mistake... I did, Pictures attached.

Purchased a 12" from Costco, then had to return it to Costco for a 10". I did trim the 10" memory foam down on the sides with a long cake knife to give a bit more clearance by the little built in night stands.
Thats one of the things I like about Mattress Insider. You can have them make it to any dimensions you want. On one of them, the 60” wide queen was so tight next to the night stands it was really difficult to make the bed so I ordered the new mattress 58 1/2” wide. Made a big difference. I also had them put a hinge in that one to make under-bed storage easier to access - those mattresses are heavy and this took the stress off the struts. And for height I just measured the clearance to any windows or obstacles. On an older class C, I was able to add 4” in length to the bed. Also they come in a box that you open up inside the coach, roll the mattress out on the bed, remove the plastic wrap, and let it expand to size in place. Much easier than muscling a full size mattress in the coach.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:53 PM   #7

I just ordered a RV King 10” memory foam from Dynasty Mattress. You can also find them on Amazon. I saved tax ordering direct and got free shipping. Fits perfectly.

Tags
mattress