Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #1

King to Queen

I suspect that many will think I'm crazy but I just modified our bed in our 2011 MADP from a king sized mattress to a queen. We have a queen at home and on our boat so we are used to sleeping on a queen and we now have 6" between the mattress and the night stand. So much easier to make the bed. I purchased a t-slot router bit and was able to reapply the plastic molding around the edge of the plywood platform. If I ever sell the unit and they insist on a king it would be easy to go back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1520824895.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	528.0 KB
ID:	30664  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
We actually want to do the same thing, just have not had time. We are used to a queen and would rather have the extra room in the bedroom of the coach.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
We actually want to do the same thing, just have not had time. We are used to a queen and would rather have the extra room in the bedroom of the coach.
When we ordered our '13 Dutch Star 4018 in late October, we ordered the Queen in lieu of the King which was standard. Lots of reasons -- as stated above. Most important for us was the additional room Newmar gives in the side nightstands with the Queen. Much better than standard -- they become useful and look much better to boot!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #4

It was really a quick easy mod. Only took me about an hour. I removed the plastic edge trim, used a jig saw to cut the plywood down, re-slotted the edge of the plywood and popped the plastic edge back in. Only downside is I had to buy a new mattress. It looks like it rolled off the line that way.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #5

We also want to do this to gain the extra room. So, as I am understanding it, you are just cutting the overhanging extra plywood off the platform. The underlying platform does not have to be adjusted. Is that correct? I will need to go out and check out the bed. This is the one thing the DW does not like in our DSDP. She wants more room around the bed.

Thanks

Dan
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #6

Good work! We shortened our Queen by 6" when we ordered the coach(both of us are 5'7") to provide a wider aisle!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan DeBruin View Post
We also want to do this to gain the extra room. So, as I am understanding it, you are just cutting the overhanging extra plywood off the platform. The underlying platform does not have to be adjusted. Is that correct? I will need to go out and check out the bed. This is the one thing the DW does not like in our DSDP. She wants more room around the bed.

Thanks

Dan
Dan,
Yep that's all there is to it. The plywood that the mattress lays on overhangs the pedestal by quite a bit. A queen is 60" wide and a king is 72". I simply cut 6" off of each side but none off of the length. A queen is 80" long and that matched the king mattress that was in the coach.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Wellll, I went out today to do the measurments to cut our bed down to queen, and here is what I found....I can't...LOL I only have about 1.5" of overhang of plywood that the mattres sets on the sides. I could only cut about 1" off of each side before I hit the pedestal. So it will remain a king..LOL I am going to take the two side window valances off though and shorten them. Our biggest problem is that we bought a new mattress that is really thick and because of the thickness it wedges between the valances. But I can cut those down about 2" without them being above the bottom edge of the windows and that should then almost clear the mattress. oh well, was worth the try.