Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2018, 06:29 AM   #1

Kitchen slide leak

After sitting in Little Rock and watching it rain 7" we came home to find water in the rear lower compartment. The water was coming from the ceiling of the compartment but couldn't tell from where. Called Napanee and all I got was take it to your dealer. Has anyone had any experience with anything like this or have any helpful advice. I pulled some covers off the plumbing under the kitchen sink but could find no water. Thanks, Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is it leaking with the slide in or out?

When you say “rear lower compartment” are you referring to basement storage?

We had water leaking into the basement storage under our dinette slide after heavy rain with the slide out our our Bay Star.

If this sounds like it might be your problem I can go into more detail.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:09 PM   #3

We had set with the slides out for 4 days in which it rained almost every day. I did not notice any water then but might have over looked it. We I got home and started unloading and I noticed water on the floor of the basement storage compartment. This is the compartment in front of the peg board compartment. It is directly under the kitchen sink. I have had a previous leak with a kitchen line water hose leaking in the past and this is where the water showed up. I first thought I might have another water hose leaking but after leaving the water pump on for several days to pressurize the water lines and not finding any water I now am looking at a possible leak around the kitchen slide but don't know where to start looking. Hope to find help from someone with a similar problem. Thanks, Bill
Old 02-28-2018, 06:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kitchen slide leak

On the Bay Star there is a system of drains that carry water collecting under the slide down through the basement compartment and out below the coach. The rear drain on my slide was not properly installed and allowed the water to run directly into the basement compartment.

Your coach may have a similar setup.

My dealer put his GoPro camera in the bay to see where the water was coming from.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We currently have an issue with our 2018 VTDP 3412 where the joint between the rigid drain pipe from the kitchen slide has come apart from the flexible drain pipe (for slide movement). The result is the kitchen sink draining into the pass thru compartment.

Looks like the nipple used for the joint is too short for the compression fitting to really have a solid fit.

This is our maiden trip in our new 3412 so we expected a few teething issues. Newmar customer service has been outstanding. Newmar is dispatching a tech to resolve this issue at our next stop.

Safe travels.

Jay
JRW-NAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #6

After thinking about this for several days I am beginning to wonder if this water could have been on the top of the slide and run down the back of the slide when I brought the slide in. If the water had run down the back of the slide it could have easily run into the hole in the floor under the kitchen sink. This water would then drain into the lower storage compartment. While I was sitting for several days I don't remember seeing water in this compartment but I might have not noticed it. Any thoughts on this.

Knightstorm, Can you tell me where this drain is located so I might look into this aspect. Thanks, Bill
Old 02-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kitchen slide leak

The top of the drain system is visible when the slide is out, although you will need an inspection mirror to get a good view. On my curbside slide there is one drain at the front and a second one at the rear of the slide. Any water running down the side and under the slide is picked up by the drains. Any water that collects under the slide is carried by the drains through the basement and out. My forward drain tubing is visible in the storage bay and the rear drain runs through the outboard rectangular steel tubing between the storage bays.

I have attached a photo of the rear corner of my slide for reference. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3121.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	194130

Old 03-01-2018, 06:27 AM   #8

Knightstorm, Thanks for the picture and response. I will check this out and see if I can find anything. Bill
Old 03-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taratiffin View Post
After thinking about this for several days I am beginning to wonder if this water could have been on the top of the slide and run down the back of the slide when I brought the slide in. If the water had run down the back of the slide it could have easily run into the hole in the floor under the kitchen sink. This water would then drain into the lower storage compartment. While I was sitting for several days I don't remember seeing water in this compartment but I might have not noticed it. Any thoughts on this.

Knightstorm, Can you tell me where this drain is located so I might look into this aspect. Thanks, Bill
My curb side kitchen slide does not have a slide topper. After a rain with a level coach water does set on top of the slide and some will get inside if the slide is retracted with those puddles on top. Scrapper/seal helps but does not eliminate all water.
Prior to slide retraction I can use leveler to tip the coach to curb side and to lower the front or rear slightly. Most of the water will run off prior to retracting the slide. Extending the awning just enough to protect the slide top will help but may not be the best choice if it is windy/gusty.
Hope you find a fix to your issue.
Best of luck and safe travels!

Cheers

Tags
leak, slide