Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to DSRamblers Send a message via MSN to DSRamblers Send a message via Yahoo to DSRamblers
Kitchen slide motor bolts

2018 Dutch Star, 4018 floor plan. I was working on the front kitchen slide motor. The top bolts were tight but the bottom two were loose. I followed Newmar's instructions to remove each bolt one at a time and put blue loctite on the bolt threads and torque the 5/16 bolts to 19 ft lbs. I did this and was very careful starting the bolts so I did not strip the threads. Neither one of the bolts would tighten to the 19 ft. lbs. They are just snug but I could not tighten them any further to reach the 19 ft. lbs. I did notice when I removed the bolts that I had to wrench them all the way out. I am thinking that they were possibly cross- threaded when installed by Newmar. There was no evident of any loctite on the bolts when I removed them. My question is how do I fix this situation and has this happened to anyone else??? Thanks for your response.
DSRamblers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2021, 12:28 PM   #2
D20

If the gear housing isn't cracked where the bolts go in, possibly helicoils would work.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #3

Try using a 1 inch long bolt with no washer, on my bedroom slide,
I experienced the same issue, the one inch worked well....
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:42 PM   #4

Those holes are stripped. All you can do is install heli-coils. I suggest the 1.5 D length. Unfortunately, you will have to remove the motor from the coach to install them.-Paul

https://www.threadtoolsupply.com/516...epair-kit.html
Old 06-04-2021, 06:49 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think PandS is right on the money.
ddowntown, yes you may have been able t reach a couple of threads left in the bottom of the hole but I doubt they are going to be strong enough in the long run. I would plan on installing some heli-coils in the future.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:05 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not sure if my 4369 is the same but both of my kitchen slide motors slid off very easy. Remove the bolts, use a large wrench on the square shaft to remove the pressure on the motor and slide it off. Use a tap to clean up the threads. Now is the time to do the bolt fix. If the threads are good use red lock tight, if not use JB Weld on the studs. Don't cut corners on the Nord locks. I have been using them for 35+ years, there is nothing better.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
Not sure if my 4369 is the same but both of my kitchen slide motors slid off very easy. Remove the bolts, use a large wrench on the square shaft to remove the pressure on the motor and slide it off. Use a tap to clean up the threads. Now is the time to do the bolt fix. If the threads are good use red lock tight, if not use JB Weld on the studs. Don't cut corners on the Nord locks. I have been using them for 35+ years, there is nothing better.
I would recommend using the blue(removable) locktite. You might need to change the motor some day.
Bill
Old 06-05-2021, 02:35 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
For those removing that motor, for any reason.....Removal is easy, but often aligning it again to get the screws started can be a pain, making it easy to strip the threads.

The motor is mounted in a black removable frame (four 9/16" nuts and bolts). The bolts in the frame are much EASIER to access and remove. Once out, the motor comes out, by removing the four motor bolts. When you put it back together, it's easier to install the motor in the frame, loosely, and then reinstall the frame. Once everything is back together and centered, tighten all the bolts.

Here is the frame.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210605_132722.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	330918
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would put a drop of locktite on the four 9/16" nuts and bolts in the black removable frame to.
Bill
Old 06-05-2021, 06:53 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The nuts and bolts in the bracket have lock washers and do okay, because you can crank on them without stripping them. You can also swap the nuts out for lock nuts.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:19 PM   #11

I just ordered these to prevent this exact situation from happening.

https://www.stage8.com/product/abrv1...-fastener-kit/
Old 06-06-2021, 07:26 AM   #12

I can tell you blue Loctite is a waste of time. About 8 months ago I removed all the bolts, including tearing apart the bed storage are to get to that motor to Loctite and re-toqure the bolts.

With all the chatter on this subject, yesterday I decided to check the kitchen slide bolts, and damn if not every one is loose again, even with the Loctite.

With the prices of these coaches and it being a well know problem, it boggles my mind why Newmar continues to put out shotty design/workmanship like this.

I think I am going to do the Stage 8 brackets.
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramer View Post
I can tell you blue Loctite is a waste of time. About 8 months ago I removed all the bolts, including tearing apart the bed storage are to get to that motor to Loctite and re-toqure the bolts.

With all the chatter on this subject, yesterday I decided to check the kitchen slide bolts, and damn if not every one is loose again, even with the Loctite.

With the prices of these coaches and it being a well know problem, it boggles my mind why Newmar continues to put out shotty design/workmanship like this.

I think I am going to do the Stage 8 brackets.
Scott, Iíve not heard of these Stage 8 kits, let alone researched them. Have you heard or read of their effectiveness? Looks like $75 buys you two brackets and four fasteners? How many do you need for a three slide coach? Thanks

2015 Dutch Star 4369, Freightliner, 450 hp
clawsonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
I would recommend using the blue(removable) locktite. You might need to change the motor some day.
Bill
As always a personal choice. To me the blue is a waist of time. A new motor is $1200 and new studs adds a couple dollars.

Tags
motor, slide, slide motor