RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #1

Kitchen slide stuck

2018 DS 4018 coach. Yesterday leaving a boondock site after three days the kitchen slide came in normally until about the last four inches and it slowed way down. I ran it back out a foot or so and brought it in again. It momentarily slowed at about the same point and following a loud "pop' came in the rest of the way.

Today I ran the slide out to do cleaning and it seemed fine when I retracted it the slide stopped about four inches out and does not want to move in or out. I check the motor bolts and all are tight and my index marks are aligned.

Top of slide is about one inch farther in than the bottom and the front edge of the slide is about one-half inch farther out than the rear. I can move the bottom of the slide in/our about half and inch so it is not bound up.

I read the manual retraction options and am nbt sure I can see in and do that due to a bad neck.

Any suggestions other than my current plan of calling Newmar CS on Monday?

trafman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #2

Sounds like something is stuck in there

Leftys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:41 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have the Girard slide toppers. I think a lot of the sticking and binding that these things do, is the slide topper louvers binding up, especially since the top appears stuck. I've been lubing the outer edge joints on mine.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:01 AM   #4

Trafman, I had to put up with kitchen slide problems in my DS for about 9 months, I can tell you how to get it in and keep it in until repair if you want.It would be a long post so please PM me if I can help. Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:33 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kitchen slides are discussed in this thread plus all your other slides.
Its possible you have loose guide bolts, four for kitchen slide pan which are shown in a spec for the kitchen slide system.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #6

Thanks to all who responded.

- Don - the slide topper seems to be functioning fine.

- Leftys - I agree but couldn't figure out what it was. See below.

- 007 - Will check that

-taratiffin - Thanks for the offer

I managed to get the slide in by taking off the forward drive motor assembly and having a helper push the switch to activate the rear motor while I pushed the front in. Contacted Newmar CS this morning and they reassured me it's OK to drive since the locks appear to be working. Also gave me a local repair contact. Have an appt for next week, so I know more then.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #7
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by trafman View Post
2018 DS 4018 coach. Yesterday leaving a boondock site after three days the kitchen slide came in normally until about the last four inches and it slowed way down. I ran it back out a foot or so and brought it in again. It momentarily slowed at about the same point and following a loud "pop' came in the rest of the way.

Today I ran the slide out to do cleaning and it seemed fine when I retracted it the slide stopped about four inches out and does not want to move in or out. I check the motor bolts and all are tight and my index marks are aligned.

Top of slide is about one inch farther in than the bottom and the front edge of the slide is about one-half inch farther out than the rear. I can move the bottom of the slide in/our about half and inch so it is not bound up.

I read the manual retraction options and am nbt sure I can see in and do that due to a bad neck.

Any suggestions other than my current plan of calling Newmar CS on Monday?

Sounds like your front motor on the kitchen slide to me. If you have someone bring the slide in and you push on the slide from outside, it will come all the way in. I would not open again until you find out if it's the motor.
ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 01:19 PM   #8

Renee - thank you for the response.

I tried that and couldn't push it in. I removed the motor from the shaft and then pushed it in. A mobile mechanic referred by Newmar will take a look at the situation next Tuesday.

I'll post the cause/cure once it is known.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #9
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Renee - thank you for the response.

I tried that and couldn't push it in. I removed the motor from the shaft and then pushed it in. A mobile mechanic referred by Newmar will take a look at the situation next Tuesday.

I'll post the cause/cure once it is known.

Good luck!
ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #10

As promised, here is the result of the visit from a mobile repair tech. He put the motor back on and then called Newmar. A tech there walked him through where to find the slide controller and then the mult-step process to reset the in and out limits. This took quite a while so props to Newmar for staying on the line for quite a while.

We ran the slide in and out several times and it worked fine. So I guess it just wanted some attention! Something was definitely wrong when it wouldn’t work and I’d love to know what it was, but it shall remain a mystery.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:30 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
As promised, here is the result of the visit from a mobile repair tech. He put the motor back on and then called Newmar. A tech there walked him through where to find the slide controller and then the mult-step process to reset the in and out limits. This took quite a while so props to Newmar for staying on the line for quite a while.

We ran the slide in and out several times and it worked fine. So I guess it just wanted some attention! Something was definitely wrong when it wouldn’t work and I’d love to know what it was, but it shall remain a mystery.
My kitchen slide goes out just fine, but comes in only a couple inches from full out position when bring it in. Bummer for coach we’ve had for less than a month. Newmar CS was suggesting the “reprogramming” of the controller until he found out mine are KMG controllers and can’t be reprogrammed. I am not convinced that it’s the controller. My kitchen slide comes in at a slight angle at first and then levels out. It seems as something is causing extra resistance within the first few inches. I have followed the manual procedure where you disconnect the motor brake and crank the slide in with a 5/8 socket wrench. After getting the slide in part way, the motor easily will bring the slide in the rest of the way. All of the dealers have shut down and can’t get me until the end of April or beginning of May.
Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:10 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now that you mentioned you have two motors for your kitchen slide, in the slide spec link it tells you how to put the two motors in sink so slide will be readjusted in its opening.
Adjustment of two motor slide system.
This link come from this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar View Post
My kitchen slide goes out just fine, but comes in only a couple inches from full out position when bring it in. Bummer for coach we’ve had for less than a month. Newmar CS was suggesting the “reprogramming” of the controller until he found out mine are KMG controllers and can’t be reprogrammed. I am not convinced that it’s the controller. My kitchen slide comes in at a slight angle at first and then levels out. It seems as something is causing extra resistance within the first few inches. I have followed the manual procedure where you disconnect the motor brake and crank the slide in with a 5/8 socket wrench. After getting the slide in part way, the motor easily will bring the slide in the rest of the way. All of the dealers have shut down and can’t get me until the end of April or beginning of May.
Do the Ventana LE slides use in/out limit programming or are they current limited like on the Canyon Stars? I kind of think they are current limited.

If they are current limited and if the current limit setting is not high enough the slide will trip the current limit relay while climbing the ramp as it begins to move in. Mine does it all the time but rather than raise the limit setting I just wait 20 seconds or so the the relay will auto reset and I can move it in again.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:12 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Do the Ventana LE slides use in/out limit programming or are they current limited like on the Canyon Stars? I kind of think they are current limited.

If they are current limited and if the current limit setting is not high enough the slide will trip the current limit relay while climbing the ramp as it begins to move in.
That's exactly what is happening!

The second time I called Newmar CS, the guy started to walk me thru the in/out reprogramming until he realized I had different controllers. The KMG controllers are current limiting. I must not have waited long enough for the reset. I haven't try your suggestion but I may.

I'll report back, what happens.

Mr.Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide