Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2019, 09:38 PM   #1

Kitchen window fell out

Walked past my coach the other day and found one of the windows laying on the ground next to it. The rivet holding the plastic roller that engages the track on the bottom of the window broke off. Good thing the coach was parked on gravel but the window frame and glass got pretty nicked up. Glad it didn't fall out on my road trip. My wife is becoming less and less impressed with Newmar.
mvintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2019, 07:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I would call Newmar 1st thing. To me that kind of thing is absolutely unacceptable.

Some think the QC is OK and just the nature of the RV industry. I doubt you or your wife feel that way when you are picking pieces of your coach up of the ground.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/newm...ts-453933.html
Old 09-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Of course the OP should call Newmar! And, I'll bet they will step up and fix it.

Golfer Guy's comment on QC is a bit off the mark, IMO. Quality Control (QC) can only go so far; it can't eliminate all future problems. I'll bet when QC looked over the window install and operation, it found everything in order AT THAT POINT. No one is clairvoyant enough to spot future problems unless there is some visible indication of impending failure.

When you build hundreds...or thousands...of coaches a year and use a whole bunch of component suppliers, there will be some level of failure. When the inevitable failures occur, the best the coach manufacturer can do is step up and provide top-notch customer service to affect repairs. My experience with Newmar says that's exactly what it does.

We all see the periodic complaints on the forum of some kind of problem occurring. What we can't see is the percentage of such issues compared to the number of units produced. Rarely does anyone post to the forum saying, "I didn't have any problems with my Newmar today." Seeing only the posts regarding issues can easily skew the perception that quality control is lacking.

Just my $.02 after owning two Newmar coaches over the past 5 years.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:46 AM   #4

Exactly what TJ said!

The rivet installer looked at, QC looked at, The dealer should have looked, and the purchaser should have looked at it during PDI. So either four separate inspections missed a prominent issue, or it looked good and just broke.

Not every part of every subsystem is x-rayed to make sure it has no structural issues. Not every bolt, screw, rivet and seam is inspected multiple times after being driven for 100 miles on bumpy roads.

QC is a balancing act; at some point, you reach diminishing returns on the investments of time and costs vs. problems found.

What makes a great company is how they address issues.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I've had two windows fall out. The plastic rollers on the end of the actuator arms broke allowing the window to flap in the wind. First time it happened the glass flew off and shattered. Luckily it didn't hit anyone. Not sure if it's the cheap plastic or something during assembly that caused it. Newmar told me 6 weeks to get a new window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4670.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	481.9 KB
ID:	259367  
Johninar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #6

You gotta wonder how waterproof a window is that can just fall out. No signs of leaking I guess?
Old 09-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #7

What about the aircraft industry

The AC industry uses thousands of suppliers. How would you like putting your family on a plane built by the RV industry? Push em out the door let the customer and dealer worry about it and by the way let's not pay our dealers too much or too quickly for warranty work. In fact let's not pay them at all for diagnosis. OH another. If I buy a MH today and sell it tomorrow it has no warranty. What a RIP.

I know I don't have to buy one.......
Old 09-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninar View Post
I've had two windows fall out. The plastic rollers on the end of the actuator arms broke allowing the window to flap in the wind. First time it happened the glass flew off and shattered. Luckily it didn't hit anyone. Not sure if it's the cheap plastic or something during assembly that caused it. Newmar told me 6 weeks to get a new window.
Yep, that's the part that failed on mine. Like you said, lucky it didn't hit someone, or me as I was looking for something in the basement.

I understand it is a supplier problem. Aircraft makers use suppliers too but we're talking about a different level of quality control...not to mention liability. I don't expect any product to be 100% reliable and as someone else mentioned, the test is how Newmar responds to the problem. I have no doubt that any issues will be corrected to my satisfaction.

My wife's frustration is that we paid more for this coach than we did our first three houses. Instead of us being able to use the coach, it's going to have to sit on NIRV's lot for who knows how long and they are not the one's making the payment. We are. They can't get us in before October and we want to make another beach trip before the weather cools off. That means I've got to cover the window somehow, mess with the door latch that locked us out of the coach for over an hour and try to find the water leak that dripped all over my wife's toes and quilt that she worked on as we drove. For her, the window falling out was the breaking point. Personally, I am still convinced purchasing a Newmar was the right choice. But it's certainly hard to defend them to the wife.

Let me finish by adding that NIRV has been very accomodating about our concerns. The reason they are so busy is because so many folks like their customer care.
mvintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:52 AM   #9

Hopefully, they replace the entire window and not just repair it as the glass needs to be replaced. Any nicks or scratches in tempered glass cut into the "temper" which is an area about .030" deep that is in high compression. The inner area is in high tension. Nicked, scratched, or chipped tempered glass is prone to breakage, even just by thermal changes.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Whose fault?

I haven't figured out who is at fault. Is it something that Newmar made or part of the window mechanism which would likely make it a supplier issue? I know the windows come in assembled and Newmar simply installs them. In that case, QC would only be checking their part of the build, the installation. I know of no dealership that checks every window mechanism as part of their PDI.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #11

Sounds like cheap parts that don’t have a short life span. If these types of issues were addressed it might cost 10-20 bucks. Too high for the companies. Sad state of affairs.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:58 PM   #12

There's always something

We are full-timers (third year) in our 2011 Baystar that we purchased from a dealer, used, in 2016 and there is always something that needs attention.
As full timers, after the first year we generally chase weather in the western states .
At least once a month I go through things and there is always something that needs attention but usually its minor.
Last month I tightened virtually every screw in the cabinetry.
The more you dig the more you find areas that are not done properly .
Since we are second owners , we cant be sure weather the issues were because of poor assembly, poor quality components or just from driving.
Overall this coach has less issues than many of our friends have and the few Items I purchased from Newmar ( storage bay, Draw catches ) were quite reasonable with good customer service.
We paid less than half the price of a new coach so I don't get upset with the minor issues. Had we purchased this thing new …….. another story.
Old 09-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #13

Hmmm... went to pickup our new 2019 Ventana at the dealer. Noticed condensation between the glass on the rear bath (Egress) window. They acknowledged it. At home the window separated into 2 pieces and so was flapping. We had to duct tape the 2 glass panels back together for the trip. The dealer has since replaced it, but wow.. Brand new window. Hope it was a fluke..?
RV: 2019 Newmar Ventana, Model #4037
Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Newmar must have gotten a bargain price on windows that were seconds or returns from other coach mfgrs.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, window