Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 AM   #1

KMG gears for bed room slide

Hi everyone,
I'm back again.

I have disassembled a non functional bed room slide gear box (KMG-model K01176D100) from my 2007 DSDP 4023. I discovered two problems involving the smaller of the two primary gears. First, there is a broken tooth on the spline gear that is part of the shaft. For clarification, the spline gear, as I call it, is on the shaft of the smaller gear and is what interfaces with the larger gear making the larger gear to turn. Second, the end of that same shaft that fits into the housing cover has sheared off of the main shaft.
Everything else seemed fine, at the time. I called Newmar and was able to order a rebuild kit. It came with the smaller gear and spline, a new cover gasket and other parts that relate to the motor side of the gear box. I began the reassembly and cleaned off all the grease. I then discovered that there was a tooth missing on the larger gear that is attached to the main drive shaft. I spoke with Newmar again and was advised that that gear is not an available part. I called Klauber directly and was advised that Newmar still holds the patent on this motor so they, KMG, could not sell me the gear in question. What I suspected was confirmed by a KMG engineer that this motor be could not be used reliably with the one tooth missing, even though it performs properly on the bench, but that is without the load of the slide attached. He said the amt of torque would eventually cause the adjacent teeth to fracture as well. That’s what I had suspected. Any ideas where I can possibly buy this other gear, ie. a used parts house or RV parts bone yard? Anyone out there have one they would like to part with? I have attached photos of the gears so you can see what I am dealing with. As usual, thanks for the help. Frustrated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KMG gears 002.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	50287   Click image for larger version

Name:	KMG gears 010.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	50290  

Click image for larger version

Name:	KMG gears 003.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	50291   Click image for larger version

Name:	KMG gears 009.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	50292  

THERAPY GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have looked at their web site to match up a possible motor gear combination with same torque to operate slide?
Have you found out what could have possibly jammed the slide to strip gears.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #3

Yes I have. DC Parallel. Mine is 1/15hp and 2.0rmp. There was no match listed and no place to type in a search. I looked all through the inside of the housing and could not find anything except the remnants of the old teeth. I am perplexed. Something caused it to jam and it had to be intense enough to cause a sudden stop and thus cause the shaft to shear at the spline teeth.
Any suggestions as to what else to investigate?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by THERAPY GUY View Post
Yes I have. DC Parallel. Mine is 1/15hp and 2.0rmp. There was no match listed and no place to type in a search. I looked all through the inside of the housing and could not find anything except the remnants of the old teeth. I am perplexed. Something caused it to jam and it had to be intense enough to cause a sudden stop and thus cause the shaft to shear at the spline teeth.
Any suggestions as to what else to investigate?
Is the whole motor available through Newmar? I realize that could be expensive. Sometimes I have seen slide out motors on ebay for less than you can buy direct from the factory.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #5

Yes an entire assembly is available but this is actually an attempt to rebuild an old unit so it can be a spare. The motor is fine and with the new gears I just bought I thought I had it made. Then I discovered the other broken tooth. If I cant find a gear I will have no choice but to return the parts and pay the restock fee and the shipping. Ouch!!!
Old 11-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
One of our sponsors has motor gear combinations that you maybe able to use.
I do not see gear parts though.
Different company but maybe a combination to move your slide move to bottom of page for more items.
Maybe something in here.

How about a outfit like this.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Have you tried Contact Us? They have a HUGE rv salvage operation and I know they had a couple of DUTCHSTARS in the inventory a couple of months ago. They are very knowledgable and easy to work with and I bet a good used motor would be a lot cheaper there.
CHUCK05DSDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have access to a good machine shop? If so take it to them and see if they can make the gear.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #9

Please post if you find a source for the gear.

I bought a complete new unit and had hoped to rebuild the bad one for a backup. I also had a broken tooth on the main gear in my failed unit, and got the same answers that you did - part not available from either Newmar or the gearbox manufacturer. They do not recommend rebuilding the gearbox, but I personally find their reasoning lacking merit.

I did find someone online who had a gear made by this source: Metro Sprocket & Gear. I have not followed up on this option.

The question of why the gear tooth broke is interesting. The dealer had replaced a faulty cogwheel shaft. To do so, they had to remove the gearbox. Afterwards, I noted severe hammer marks on the coupling, and they told me they had to beat on it to get it to release. I contend that you cannot repeatedly hammer on the coupling while it is still coupled up without transmitting the forces from all those blows into the internals of the gearbox. Natually, the dealer does not agree or accept any responsibility. The failure happened only a few activations of the slide after the shaft replacement.

As a side issue, I noted that after the gearbox was replaced that the gearbox mounting bracket was loose and pivoting with every actuation of the slide. The design of mounting bracket to the compartment walls did not provide for a solid mounting condition.
jswickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #10

007 THX FOR THE LEADS, I'LL TRY THEM. CHUCK Can't get thru to contact us. Page will not display. I'll keep trying. IMGOIN- good idea I'll investigate that as the last resort. JS, looked at that site, interesting. I'll work my way there. Thanks for the leads guys. If anyone else has leads don't hesitate. Gene
Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #11

KMG gear up date

Hi everyone. Hope you all had a merry Christmas. Thought I would give an update to the KMG gear issue. I did follow the leads many of you provided and felt you deserved this up date. I did try finding the gear through a bone yard as supplied by 007 but to no avail. I contacted several machine shops in my area and was advised that to fix the broken tooth would be possible but the cost to grind that tooth to meet the needed specs and tolerances would be time consuming and thus quite expensive, with no guarantee that it would hold,(lots of torque on that gear). To manufacture one gear was near the price of a complete motor assembly from Newmar and maybe more.
I don't know if I explained this but KMG said they could not sell me the gear directly because Newmar still holds the patent on these motors. So I did return the parts for only a 12.00 shipping fee and there was no restock fee because these parts are off the shelf. Nice try everyone and thanks again for the help. Hope you all have a good New Year and keep the rubber side down.
Gene
Old 12-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
So what is your choice to get fixed only Newmar, most slide drives for bedroom I have seen were more simpler than yours.

Tags
slide