Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #1

Koni Evo shocks for 2017 Newmar DS on a Freightliner

EDITED::

I am picking a new (used) 2017 Dutch Star 4310 and want to replace the front shocks with some Koni Evos like I did on our 2018 DS Spartan.

Found what I was looking after digging through lots of other posts. Hopefully this will be helpful for someone else:

Front: 99B-3262 - $199 at ultrarvproducts.com
Rear: Koni 8805-1022 - $160 at ultrarvproducts.com
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2020, 08:45 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Pretty sure DSDon has done it to both of his FL chassis. I added them to mine but haven't driven it yet.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just for info, the tag shocks are the same as the duals.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:37 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
EDITED::

I am picking a new (used) 2017 Dutch Star 4310 and want to replace the front shocks with some Koni Evos like I did on our 2018 DS Spartan.

Found what I was looking after digging through lots of other posts. Hopefully this will be helpful for someone else:

Front: 99B-3262 - $199 at ultrarvproducts.com
Rear: Koni 8805-1022 - $160 at ultrarvproducts.com
kpeck,

Are those shocks for a Freightliner or the Spartan? I need to do something about the porpoising on my coach.
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #5

I replaced the fronts with the Koni Evos, and was absolutely amazed at the difference in ride, especially over rough patches and pot holes. Have around 20k on them now and can't imagine what the original ride was like. I do remember feeling as if I'd lost a couple fillings on some roads with the original Sachs shocks.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:40 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
kpeck,

Are those shocks for a Freightliner or the Spartan? I need to do something about the porpoising on my coach.

Never mind kpeck, it was a dumb question, I just clicked on your link and see that they are for the Freightliner ZF front suspension!
Old 04-25-2020, 02:49 PM   #7

I just replaced all 4 Koni on my XC freightliner chassis and am very pleased with the Performance. On a road trip now and just came through the mountains what a World of difference. I highly recommend them. Happy travels.
Old 04-25-2020, 03:19 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"tqqest".....When I enter 2020 Spartan K-2, Koni North America shows Koni EVO's for your coach as part # 99B 3234.

I believe several have placed the EVO's on the Spartan and have been happy with them, versus what Spartan was changing to.

Over the past couple of years, the site that Kpecks listed, ultrarvproducts.com has had the best prices.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"tqqest".....When I enter 2020 Spartan K-2, Koni North America shows Koni EVO's for your coach as part # 99B 3234.

I believe several have placed the EVO's on the Spartan and have been happy with them, versus what Spartan was changing to.

Over the past couple of years, the site that Kpecks listed, ultrarvproducts.com has had the best prices.
tqqest...I can confirm part number DSDon posted is correct and verified by Spartan. I had them installed on my coach in March.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:10 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWIP View Post
tqqest...I can confirm part number DSDon posted is correct and verified by Spartan. I had them installed on my coach in March.
Thanks Don and NWIP for confirming that they will work on my Spartan DS!

Spartan said the Bilstein 46mm front shocks I have now, are the newest version that they developed with Bilstein, to "fix" the porpoising front end complaints. When pushed, they gave me the part# of the Bilstein 60mm shocks that they put on the MA coaches and above. I am not sure about them, or the pricing yet, and I don't hear any complaints on the board from owners, but I do hear a lot of good things about the Koni's.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #11

Cheapest price on the Koni's that I have seen is from Jegs racing - $185 each with free shipping. I've dealt with Jegs for years for my race and classic cars and they're a good reliable outfit to deal with.

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...rsistYmm=false
Old 04-25-2020, 10:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
Thanks Don and NWIP for confirming that they will work on my Spartan DS!

Spartan said the Bilstein 46mm front shocks I have now, are the newest version that they developed with Bilstein, to "fix" the porpoising front end complaints. When pushed, they gave me the part# of the Bilstein 60mm shocks that they put on the MA coaches and above. I am not sure about them, or the pricing yet, and I don't hear any complaints on the board from owners, but I do hear a lot of good things about the Koni's.
I put the Koni’s on my 2017 FL and was pleased with improvement. When I got the Spartan I thought it was worse than FL originally was but it is 4369 vs 4018. I felt there was more porpoise to the front on the Spartan and still had the harshness so I changed to Koni’s right away. I feel it di improve things and glad I made the switch. I will say that with the extra front end weight of the 4369 ride is still not as good as the 4018 but very acceptable. Definitely worthy the money.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 10:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Cheapest price on the Koni's that I have seen is from Jegs racing - $185 each with free shipping. I've dealt with Jegs for years for my race and classic cars and they're a good reliable outfit to deal with.

https://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...rsistYmm=false
That price is for the spartan shocks only. Jegs has the 99B-3262 for $205.99. Still cheaper at UltraRV at the link above. I have mine on order! Picking up the coach on Friday. Cant wait.
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWIP View Post
I put the Koni’s on my 2017 FL and was pleased with improvement. When I got the Spartan I thought it was worse than FL originally was but it is 4369 vs 4018. I felt there was more porpoise to the front on the Spartan and still had the harshness so I changed to Koni’s right away. I feel it di improve things and glad I made the switch. I will say that with the extra front end weight of the 4369 ride is still not as good as the 4018 but very acceptable. Definitely worthy the money.

I put Koni evos on the front of my 2016 ds 4369 on Freightliner and it took away much of the jarring and harshness on expansion joints and small pot holes.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks, newmar, freightliner, koni