RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Koni Shocks & 2000 KSDP

My unit has 65,000 miles on it. I put 30,000+/- of those miles since 2010. The RV came with Belstein shocks. The air suspension on the Spartan chassis has produced as good ride as I have ever had in a motorhome. Time went, and the bird flew, and I decided it was time to replace the shocks. Searching the net showed that Koni shocks were held in high regard. The fact that Spartan stocks and recommends them clinched the deal. I was a little concerned about the price of the shocks Ė just under $700.00 + installation. But what the hell, Iím 82 and what else can I spend my money on at my age. Spending it on wild women would be a good alternative, but what could I do with them once I got them? Please donít answer that.

Sometime after the bird flew, the shocks got here, and I made an appointment to have them installed. All went with the front shock installation, but disaster struck with the rear shocks Ė they were the wrong units Ė they were for a Workhorse chassis.

Drove home, called Spartan. They admitted their mistake and said the correct shocks were on the way along with a return mailing label. That was on Thursday afternoon. The correct shocks arrived at my door on Saturday Ė two days. Canít ask for better than that.

Go back to when the front shocks were installed. It is about 20 miles back to my storage yard over less than first class roads. I really couldnít believe the difference. Most of the little irritating little road noises were gone. The steering improved, and I was a happy camper.

After a time, the rear shocks were installed. My, my, this is a new coach. It is so smooth and quiet that the sense of speed is gone. I must work to keep the rig under the speed limit Ė I always obey the speed limit when I think about it.

There was nothing bad about the air suspension Spartan chassis with Belstein shocks, but this is remarkable. I donít know what these shocks will do on other rigs, but for mine, they are a must.

You start to see the difference when you see that the Koni shocks weigh at least three times as much as the Belstein shocks, and it goes on from there.

If you are interested in these shocks, call Spartan parts. They will give you the correct shock number, a discount, and free shipping.

All the best

wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Wil for your post enjoy your new ride.
Do you have the stock numbers of the shocks it may help someone not have the same problem you had with rears.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 PM   #3

It was not a problem with the shock stock numbers. There was just a mistake with what they shipped. The safest procedure is to call Spartan at 800 722 3025 and ask for Tyler. Have your VIN number and you will get the correct model, a discount, and free shipping.

It's possible that the numbers won't stay the same for all time and getting the latest correct number is important.

With the correct shocks, it was just a matter of unbolting the old shocks and bolting up the new shocks. Total labor time was 1 hour.
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the follow-up Wil.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #5

I installed KONI shocks on my 1997 American Eagle with a Spartan Mountain Master chassis and I agree big time! Wow! What a difference they made! They did sooooooo much including that I no longer get blown around by big rigs when either meeting them head on or when being passed.
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
My unit has 65,000 miles on it. I put 30,000+/- of those miles since 2010. The RV came with Belstein shocks. The air suspension on the Spartan chassis has produced as good ride as I have ever had in a motorhome. Time went, and the bird flew, and I decided it was time to replace the shocks. Searching the net showed that Koni shocks were held in high regard. The fact that Spartan stocks and recommends them clinched the deal. I was a little concerned about the price of the shocks Ė just under $700.00 + installation. But what the hell, Iím 82 and what else can I spend my money on at my age. Spending it on wild women would be a good alternative, but what could I do with them once I got them? Please donít answer that.

Sometime after the bird flew, the shocks got here, and I made an appointment to have them installed. All went with the front shock installation, but disaster struck with the rear shocks Ė they were the wrong units Ė they were for a Workhorse chassis.

Drove home, called Spartan. They admitted their mistake and said the correct shocks were on the way along with a return mailing label. That was on Thursday afternoon. The correct shocks arrived at my door on Saturday Ė two days. Canít ask for better than that.

Go back to when the front shocks were installed. It is about 20 miles back to my storage yard over less than first class roads. I really couldnít believe the difference. Most of the little irritating little road noises were gone. The steering improved, and I was a happy camper.

After a time, the rear shocks were installed. My, my, this is a new coach. It is so smooth and quiet that the sense of speed is gone. I must work to keep the rig under the speed limit Ė I always obey the speed limit when I think about it.

There was nothing bad about the air suspension Spartan chassis with Belstein shocks, but this is remarkable. I donít know what these shocks will do on other rigs, but for mine, they are a must.

You start to see the difference when you see that the Koni shocks weigh at least three times as much as the Belstein shocks, and it goes on from there.

If you are interested in these shocks, call Spartan parts. They will give you the correct shock number, a discount, and free shipping.

All the best
I just read your recommendation on shocks.
Thank you
Dave
Davidej M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #7

I like this post. I plan on new shocks this summer and I will check w/Spartan for the Koni's!
Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #8

[QUOTE=Snomas1;1473633]I like this post. I plan on new shocks this summer

Get hold of them know they have the shocks on sale with free shipping. I just ordered them and they are on the way.
Dave

Davidej M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koni, shocks