Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2006, 05:54 AM   #1

Howdy folks. This site was recommended to me by a fellow RVer.

I am looking at a 2003 Kountry Star 34' diesel. It has 30k miles, the ISB engine, freightliner chassis, 2 slides, and a great interior.

Any thoughts on value, things to check or watch for, rubber roof issues (leak problems), etc.

Any information or comments pro or con would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Ed

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2006, 05:54 AM   #2

Howdy folks. This site was recommended to me by a fellow RVer.

I am looking at a 2003 Kountry Star 34' diesel. It has 30k miles, the ISB engine, freightliner chassis, 2 slides, and a great interior.

Any thoughts on value, things to check or watch for, rubber roof issues (leak problems), etc.

Thanks,
Ed

2003 KSDP
Old 05-30-2006, 05:59 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Ed, WELCOME to iRV2 !!

As I'm sure you've found already,there's a bunch of good folks here and a lot of good information...

Hang in there a little while and I'm certain someone will come along with an answer for you...

Snoop around the main page and check us out!

At the bottom of the main page,there are groups or regions where we make plans to meet at various campgrounds around the country and swap stories and enjoy good food!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:03 AM   #4

Thank -you for the welcome sir. I will definately take a look around.

If we end up with the KSDP I will probably be a regular here!

Ed

2003 KSDP
Old 05-30-2006, 05:21 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed-Deb:
Thank -you for the welcome sir. I will definately take a look around.

If we end up with the KSDP I will probably be a regular here!

Ed </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same coach that we just bought in Feb. and we love it... OK OK so mine is a Workhorse (gas) but we love out "Star" have fun and you have found a great place to ask questions...

Lee
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:55 PM   #6

<span class="ev_code_RED">What size ISB - As I recall it is a 5.9 L, 300 hP, 660 lb -ft of torque. Also what transmission 5 or 6 Speed. Again I suggest 6 speed. This combo is very reliabile but may be a little slow for your liking if you pull over 3000 pounds of FROG</span>

<span class="ev_code_RED">It is a BRITE TECK roof not rubber which is much better than rubber. I would go to a bank and/or Credit Union and price it out in NADA and pay close attention to the listed options vs book value. As for checking for leaks try putting a sprinkler on the roof and see what happens.</span>

<span class="ev_code_RED">IMHO an 03 Newmar product is a good product.</span>

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome ED-DEB to irv2
Can't answer for the DP but as to other parts of your ? I can. Have own 3 NEWMARS all gas but coach you will find hard to beat. Never had a leaky roof or slides because of the way its constructed. Slide seals are compressed weather out or in, when in the slide will recess into the wall of slide opening and seal against the seal and flush with the wall surface, not against the exterior of the wall. When slide is out a aluminum angle iron on interior face will compress the rubber seal not allowing water to enter by the rubber seal.
The roof no leaks, climb the ladder and observe the stainless steel strips compressing Blis-Tex roof to the aluminum curved dressing to side walls all stainless steel screws to hold it down and sealed. The front and rear caps have to be check for sealent every year but thats all I have done plus your running lights along the top of them. The appliances all top notch. Your wood work should be solid I believe. Have I had some problems yes but nothing that could not be fixed by myself. Its just like owning your home things will need fixing at times. The coach is easy to work on and I have made some improvments with my coachs. If you have any other ?'s to ask feel free.
If you buy a NEWMAR I will make you a member of the Newmar Forum, if you like.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:47 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies everyone and the warm welcome also!

THe MH is an 03 with 30k on it. It has the ISB which has 300 HP and 600 ft/lbs (I think) of torque. It has a 6 speed allison.

I have been researching alot of the other popular brands but hadn't looked seriously at the Newmar. Then I looked at a couple of used Dutch Stars and aside from the price the MHs looked great. My wife loves the interior so that was a huge positive in making the decision.

Unless I can find some negative feedback it would appear to be a done deal!

Thanks for the replies. Any other comments would be appreciated.

2003 KSDP
Old 05-31-2006, 01:53 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Get 'er done Ed !!!

WIFE likes it.....HELLO!!! Can ya hear me??

Old 05-31-2006, 02:15 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Get 'er done Ed !!!

WIFE likes it.....HELLO!!! Can ya hear me??

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear ya Bob! Gotta keep the better half happy.

We are going to look at it again on Friday. Probably consummate then if no issues are found.

Thanks for the help.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Old 05-31-2006, 04:15 PM   #11

Our 1st pusher was an SOB with a 275hp ISB and I absolutely loved it. If it had had a slide we still may have it-- who knows. That 275 was getting 10.2 mpg when we traded at 56,000 and we were towing a '99 Blazer 4 down which is not a light toad.

Only isssue with ISB was possible blow back which would eventually clog the charge cooler--the first part of the radiator you see from the rear of the coach. A clogged charge cooler will eventually cause an overheat issue.

The first time it happened it scared the living heck out of me. Cummins in Harrisburg, PA showed me exactly what to do, first there is a blow-by tube sticking down and on most the ISBs it was too short which allowed any oil droplets to get sucked up into the charge cooler. One hose clamp and and a 6"-8" piece of garden hose and that prob;em is solved for the future.

But, you say the Charge cooler already looks clogged. Fairly easy to correct, wet it down with a hose, soak it in Liquid Green, let it sit for 30 mins. and rinse it down. In rinsing use hose full strength; but, be careful not to bend the fins. To see how well you did have someone shine a flashlight on charge cooler and you observe from the opposite side of radiator from under the bed and you should be able to see light. If not give it a second shot of Liquid Green.

With a blow-by extension and a spanking clean charge cooler you will be home free for any future overheats due to clogged charge cooler.

Our '04 DSDP has a 375 ISL; but, it is a much heavier coach. The ISL will not get the mileage that an ISB can achieve. Good luck however you elect to proceed, Ken....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:52 PM   #12

Thanks for the info Ken. I had that problem with my 99 Dodge. The entire lower half of the radiator was plugged.

After cleaning (had to actually remove it was so bad) it was able to tow my 32' fifth wheel into Death Valley without over heating (as before)!

I would like to thank everyone for the posts regarding the KSDP and also for the welcome to the forum.

Ed

2003 KSDP
Old 06-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #13

Does anybody have an inspection list. I believe some refer to it as a PDI.

2003 KSDP
Old 06-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

HERE is one by Tom Boles....take what pertains to your coach and simply ignore the items that don't...