Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2008, 12:53 AM   #1

Kountry Star Slideout Leak

I have a 99 Kountry Star 5th Wheel. It has developed a leak at the rear corner of the sloping slideout and I can't really tel where it is coming from. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you solve it? Thanks
Kountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2008, 01:20 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. I'm not entirely familiar with that type of slide but I'm sure some members may have some ideas for you and hopefully will be along.
Perhaps if you could better describe the leak area it might also help. I don't think there is that much difference between slides on a 5er and those on a motor coach.

Peter
Old 03-07-2008, 03:56 AM   #3

Hi! Welcome to the forum!! You may also want to post this question in the 5th Wheelers Group at the top of the Newmar page. Just in case someone in here can't answer your question. Maybe one of the moderators can do it? Paul
Old 03-07-2008, 04:00 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Kountryguy, welcome to iRV2.

Slideout leaks are usually a problem with the seal not making good contact in one or more spots.

I suggest examining the seal from one end to the other looking for a gap, no matter how small.

Water leaks can be so frustrating to locate since the visual leak can be so far from the actual source.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
We can link threads to another forum, but not to another thread.

Duplicate posts and threads are not permitted as it's just too difficult to follow a topic.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:09 AM   #6

The leak is wetting the carpet in the slideout toward the rear of the trailer, first appearing wet is the area near where the slide contacts the outer wall with the slide extended. Hope that is clear enough. The surrounding carpet in the trailer itself, does not seem to get wet. If it is the seal leaking, I can't see how the water is getting around that corner. I hope someone understands what I am trying to say.
Kountryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With your slide extended you are getting water on rug in back corner of slide not where the slide meets main side wall of trailer.
The slide box itself may have a leak from the window seal in the box or any seams on corner of slide and top of slide.
A 99 will have to be resealed as I have had to reseal my 2003 recently. Had a leak at top of the roof line where it meets the sidewall and water was soaking the rug inside on front corner of area where passenger would have there feet. The water was following the "A" CHANNEL down the fiberglass cut out for windshield.
I had to clean out on top of roof seam of the old sealent and I used a MARINE SEALENT from Berts Marine. It was easy to work with and can be dressed for a fine bead with finger before it sets up. Has not shown any cracking or chalking since applied.
The corner of slidewall and top seam of slide is where I would check and the bottom seams of slide near floor level.

Welcome to the Newmar forum and irv2.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
Need any further help just ask.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:03 AM   #8

When your slide is out, is there a topper over it? If so, check the "seal" between the roof and what connects to the topper: that seal sometimes deteriorates and has to be freshened, otherwise water finds its way down.
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:18 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
One other thing to add the rubber seals on sidewall of slide, make sure you have no fold in seal coming down the slide sidewall any fold will allow water to get behind it and make its way inside the TT or MH.
If you have a fold run the loop end of awning rod up behind the rubber seal so seal lays flat against the the sidewall of slide.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
One other thing to add the rubber seals on sidewall of slide, make sure you have no fold in seal coming down the slide sidewall any fold will allow water to get behind it and make its way inside the TT or MH.
If you have a fold run the loop end of awning rod up behind the rubber seal so seal lays flat against the the sidewall of slide.
This happens quite often with mine. I am getting significant water on my carpet. My question is...can this be a problem with the slide in also? Do you recommend guiding it to stay "outward" as the slide is closed?
Khenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Khenson, no as your slide comes in the rubber seal will turn inward and wipe side of slide to remove water if it has some. It should all turn in unless you had a fold that was never laying flat against the slide wall.
It could have been deformed by laying against the slide wall with fold.
The rubber seal should have talcum power applied so it can ride smoothly on slide wall. You can place talc in glove and wipe on rubber seal.
On the top of your slide the seal will wipe stuff off the top of slide.
With your slide locks locked the rubber seal will be depressed to stop water from entering.