Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #1

007 has been looking for a Newmar problem...so here it is!!

Coming back from our first trip going up a steep grade the MH started to overheat. I made it into a turnout and let it cool down and then ran the rest of the grade (long and steep plus 100 degrees outside temp) with the ac off, heater on, , and kept the RPMs at around 2100-2300 in 2nd gear. Did the same on the next pass to keep from overheating.

Any suggestions??

I have a 99 Dodge with the Cummins engine and had a similar problem. Tried several things (thermostat, water pump, belt, fluid flush, etc) and then had a mechanic look at it. (It only overheated when towing the fifth wheel when it was hot and on a hard pull). Turned out the radiator was bout half plugged. Does the rear radiator on MHs have the same problem?

Any ideas would help as I don't want to start throwing parts at this thing...yet.

2003 KSDP
Ed-Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2006, 08:49 AM   #2

007 has been looking for a Newmar problem...so here it is!!

Coming back from our first trip going up a steep grade the MH started to overheat. I made it into a turnout and let it cool down and then ran the rest of the grade (long and steep plus 100 degrees outside temp) with the ac off, heater on, , and kept the RPMs at around 2100-2300 in 2nd gear. Did the same on the next pass to keep from overheating.

Any suggestions??

I have a 99 Dodge with the Cummins engine and had a similar problem. Tried several things (thermostat, water pump, belt, fluid flush, etc) and then had a mechanic look at it. (It only overheated when towing the fifth wheel when it was hot and on a hard pull). Turned out the radiator was bout half plugged. Does the rear radiator on MHs have the same problem?

Any ideas would help as I don't want to start throwing parts at this thing...yet.

2003 KSDP
Old 07-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Check your radiator / Charge cooler/intercooler from the inside by the fan blades.
Look at the outer circle of the fan blades,oil blow by and dust may have plugged the
intercooler----so the radiator gets little air.
BTW do you see any oily soot on your toad?
How is the coolant level?
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:50 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by siggyd:
Check your radiator / Charge cooler/intercooler from the inside by the fan blades.
Look at the outer circle of the fan blades,oil blow by and dust may have plugged the
intercooler----so the radiator gets little air.
BTW do you see any oily soot on your toad?
How is the coolant level? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will be looking at the inside of the radiator and intercooler area today.

I did notice what appeared to be dirt / soot on the toad. Thought it was road grime.

Coolant level appears fine...I topped it off yesterday. There was a small residue of grime or mineral deposit on the cap so I guess a complete flush is in order, (possibly a new cap also).

2003 KSDP
Old 07-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #5

Depending upon your rig you could also put the A/C ON -- I know it puts more of a load on the engine but on our rig it also forces the Fan to high right away rather than when the coolant temp gets high; we do this on long steep climbs in hot weather.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:16 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Techie:
Depending upon your rig you could also put the A/C ON -- I know it puts more of a load on the engine but on our rig it also forces the Fan to high right away rather than when the coolant temp gets high; we do this on long steep climbs in hot weather. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The a/c was on when it started to heat up. I turned it off and the temp went down slightly.

2003 KSDP
Old 07-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ed, go to "find" type in "radiator over heating" you will find 12 posts related to your problem, they may help you. Take off the check mark.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:36 AM   #8

We have a 2005 KSDP with Cummins 330 and rear radiator. After any long trip, I spray diluted Simple Green onto the radiator, and then wash it down with a fairly low power pressure washer.

I purchased the pressure washer from Walmart for $90. It is compact and lightweight. I believe it runs at 90 PSI, and has a soap dispenser (which i do not use). It is compact and packs easily on our fulltiming coach. We also use it to rinse down the full body paint coach to get dust off. And it is especially good for getting bugs off the front of the coach.

At any rate, with this process on the radiator, we have never had an overheating problem and we carry a full load and pull a Taurus station wagon.
Montana Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:45 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies folks!

I didn't get to the radiator the other day so this weekend I will be applying Simple Green and some water to see if that helps.

2003 KSDP