Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #1

Kwikee Steps are screaming at me.

Hi folks. I am looking for advice from folks with these steps and my problem. My steps scream like murder when I open and retract them. I have used brake cleaner to try to clean the shelf glides and then liberally applied a dust free lubricant but I can't seem to get consistent improvement. These things will wake my neighbor when they retract! What can you tell me?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kwikee Step Picture.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	273412  
Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2020, 04:46 PM   #2

Something that needs lubrication isn't getting it.
I would get underneath and have someone else operate the steps. Follow the noise. -Paul
Old 01-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Kwikee Series 42. I have the same steps and they are a PITA to clean and lubricate. It was recommended to me and I have been using an aircraft lubricant called Boeshield T-9, with marginal results.

If you didn't already know, Kwikee was purchased by Lippert. They changed part numbers during the transition. Here are the motor and motor assembly diagrams in case you need parts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Motor Assembly.pdf (77.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf Motor .pdf (78.8 KB, 15 views)
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #4

[QUOTE=Scottybdivin;5126218]Kwikee Series 42. I have the same steps and they are a PITA to clean and lubricate. It was recommended to me and I have been using an aircraft lubricant called Boeshield T-9, with marginal results.

I use Boeshield for lots of things but not lubrication. While it does leave a slightly waxy film its purpose is mostly to prevent corrosion. In aircraft it’s used for the inside of wings and such. I use Super Lube Synthetic grease. Tube or spray can.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Kwikee Series 42. I have the same steps and they are a PITA to clean and lubricate. It was recommended to me and I have been using an aircraft lubricant called Boeshield T-9, with marginal results.

If you didn't already know, Kwikee was purchased by Lippert. They changed part numbers during the transition. Here are the motor and motor assembly diagrams in case you need parts.
Thank you for posting this - Are parts directly available from Lippert? It would probably not be a bad idea to have a spare motor on hand. I worry every time I use the steps that they are going to die. I wish there was a better alternative.

I asked Newmar directly at Tampa this year if you could upgrade MA steps to the ones that LA and above have and I was told they would not fit.
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:10 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Don’t know those steps however ... maybe it’s time for the entire business needs to come off the mh put on a bench, see if maybe something got bent, bearing froze etc.

You can turn the entire thing over, I’m betting after you eyeball it on the bench lubed it will work as desired.

I always have great success with chain lube, won’t sling off has additives does not pick up dirt.
Attached Images

Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 05:22 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrving View Post
Thank you for posting this - Are parts directly available from Lippert?
Yes. I have bought parts direct from them. In fact, that's how I came upon those parts diagrams.

You can replace the whole assembly too Kwikee Series 42
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee, scr, steps