Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2021, 07:51 PM   #29

Rescue Tape is the original silicone tape invented for the military. https://www.rescuetape.com/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2021, 10:30 AM   #30

Step problem

On my 2016 KA I was getting where the steps would retract on their own just sitting in the pole barn. Then the doors would auto lock. Everything it does when an ignition signal is present.
Brought it to the dealer and it was backfeeding an ignition signal from the charge bridge solenoid. Whenever the lightning bolt is showing on the readout the solenoid is on and all the problems appeared. Once they figured it out they cut and capped one wire and it fixed everything at once. It never had anything to do with the step.
Another common problem is a voltage spike from the same charge bridge solenoid. When it opens it throws out a 600 v spike and disrupts or wrecks one or more of the tri mark modules. Tri mark customer service is great to help figure out problems.
Mark55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:45 AM   #31

Hello All,
I know this is an older thread but I have just discovered a different problem:
My step made a wild squeaky noise for some time (but all the joints were well greased), and now it doesn't move at all anymore. No motor noise but only a clicking sound coming from the controller to turn on the under light when I open the door.
Any thoughts?
AustroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:53 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mine was the motor went bad. Was kind of slow in and out and then just stopped. Got a replacement motor on amazon and was an easy fix.
Chargersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:00 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargersrt8 View Post
Mine was the motor went bad. Was kind of slow in and out and then just stopped. Got a replacement motor on amazon and was an easy fix.
Is there a way to test the motor?
Old 05-19-2022, 10:24 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Tom - I'd suggest that you first disconnect the steps from the motor and see if there is binding. If so, check to see where and lube it, especially the shaft. If not binding then you are likely losing the motor. They are inexpensive enough to buy one rather than trying to rehab that one. Good news is if the light is coming on then the board is likely OK.

Tom
Old 05-19-2022, 10:30 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not that i am aware of. I suspect you could remove it and apply 12 volts DC to see if it works. The replacement was $50 on amazon and i bought two to have a spare.
Chargersrt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 12:33 PM   #36

Sounds like a plan. Thank you guys so much for your input
Thomas
Old 05-21-2022, 08:18 PM   #37

ok, update:
I determined it's the motor. But here's the kicker, there's NO WAY i can get the motor out with the step retracted. And the pressure from the motor to the actuator arm is so great that I could never get the clevis pin out, let alone turn it so that I can get to the cotter pin.
The Kwikee designers definitely did a master piece on that engineering
Any thoughts??
Old 05-22-2022, 12:37 PM   #38

got it out with the (3) 10mm machine bots that the motor is connected to the gear box
Old 05-23-2022, 12:59 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Some probably-not-needed advice. When I got my first coach with an electric step, I thought it was fun to step out of the coach quickly, and "ride" the step as it extended. 2 motor replacements later, I figured out that was not a good practice. Now nothing happens until the step is fully extended, and I haven't replaced a step motor in 4 years.
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, kwikee, steps