Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2019, 04:43 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I’m going to lube it up good which everyone should do to their step systems. Hopefully it was just seized from non use. Will get spare parts as these things just don’t last.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #16

Yep heres a pic of mine circled in yellow with steps down. May be a little tight getting pin out with them up but doable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0D42E638-5E02-41BE-B199-0CDDD92859B5.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	240781  
Jon_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The most important advice for the steps is never step on them until they have fully extended - don't ask my wife how we know ?!?
Old 04-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Had that conversation with DW yesterday, then went into great detail as we cleaned up some inside.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Reviving an old thread, but I thought I might share my experience.
My steps worked fine, until they didn't--they decided not to extend. So this morning, I went through all of the steps with a voltmeter to check the circuits, they seemed fine. I getting power when I should, where I should.Troubleshooting was starting to point towards the motor. With some choice words and much finagling, I was able to remove the motor. It's tough with the steps stuck retracted.
I applied direct 12V to the 2 pins on the motor, both polarities to simulate extension and retraction. There was a little spark, indication current flow, but no motion by the motor. I removed the motor from the gear box, and now the motor spun when I applied power to it, both directions.
What I found was 2 3/8" flat washers jamming the gears. I have no idea why those washers were in there, and couldn't find any logical place or use for them in the gear box. Other than that, the gears were fine, no chipped or broken teeth.
I reassembled the motor and gearbox, and applied power to the motor, and the arm moved freely in both directions. I reinstalled the assembly to the steps, and everything works as it should now.

Still puzzled about those 2 washers.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #20

My NEWMAR Baystar quikee steps just started acting up. Gear is making noise and only partially retracting in and out without assistance. Is there a way to open the motor and change (or adjust) the gear or do you just need to replace the whole motor assemby?
rwhit323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:18 AM   #21

Most probably you will need to replace the motor and gear linkage. The gear that operates the steps is made of a plastic nature. They have a tendency to wear out. I had this same situation on my coach last year. I removed and replaced both the motor and gear linkage then lubed all moving parts with a quality grease including the traversing rod up underneath where the linkage attaches and my steps work like brand new. You can get the parts from Amazon for around $170. Just make sure to match up your old parts with new ones by part number as there are different varieties of the motor and linkage. My entire process took me about 2 hours. You can find instructions on You Tube. Good luck!
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:58 AM   #22

Thanks. I am ordering parts today and having them forwarded to next camp site. Will disable the motor and use steps manually until then.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #23

Hi All,
I just replaced my motor on my 2104 Baystar and everything was doing fine for two days. Now the steps are making noise again and it sounds like the gears are slipping (again). Not Locking down. Has anyone run into this problem? Thanks.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:19 AM   #24

I just went back and re-read RoaminRichards post. I'm guessing it is the gearbox linkage worn out.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #25

It is wise to change out both the motor and gear linkage at the same time. That gear has a history of wearing out over time due to usage. Mine was doing the same thing. It would extend sometimes and then again it would not. It finally quit working all together while I was on a trip. I had to tie my steps up with rope and use a small step platform to get into and out of the coach until I returned home then I ordered both parts from amazon and replaced them. My steps now work silently and just like they should.
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #26

It looks like we will be doing the same thing until I gett the parts delivered.

Tags
kwikee, steps