Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ladder or No Ladder-that is the question

We have a 3630 CS on order with the build date to be scheduled in the near future. DH does not want the back ladder as he thinks it detracts from the updated back end on the CS. Although this is our 4th coach, it will be the first without a roof ladder. He says we can carry a 17' folding ladder for when we need access to the roof. I'm a little uneasy that we won't have a ladder attached to the coach "just in case". Are my fears unfounded??
twinknkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 06:43 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mitch, my thought on the ladder are: I have never had a emergency to have to use mine. I always use a extension ladder rested on the top of the Coachs rear ladder and use the top hand rails to get on top. For a bigger person the ladder setup is not a comfortable climb as I tried it once. I guess in a emergency one would work if you did not have anyother way to get on the roof if needed. The one time I tried it I put the bottom section on and give it a try, the bottom section came off and has been in the basement since. Did you ever use your other mounted ladders you had?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00472.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	51656  
Old 12-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
As palehorse89 said, it's not an issue to have one as long as you ensure you carry some means of getting on the roof.
You never know when this need arises. I went through a wind storm that unravelled my main awning and I had to get on the roof to strap it back. I didn't have a ladder with me so it was good to have the ladder access at the rear!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #4

My Winnebago is the first rig with no ladder. However, I never used the ladders on my tt or 5th wheels. No manufacturer would tell me the weight limits and I didn't want to find out the hard way. Added to no ladder on this rig, Winnebago owner's manual tells me to stay off the roof; let it for the techs. As I'm getting older, this suits me fine.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
I'm up on our ladder all the time, but we have solar panels I like to tilt, etc. If there's no reason to go up there I think it's fine to not get the ladder, especially since DH is planning on having the folding one which will reach if needed.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You only need a ladder to get onto the roof. If you have no plans of ever needing to get up there, then opt out of the rear ladder.

In my younger years I wound not hesitate to get on top but the older I get I have less of a desire to be up there.

In fact, just recently I hired a painter to lay down a special rubberized polyurethane type paint that I am ordering this week. It will reduce the need to power wash the roof as often and it will eliminate the white streaks on the sides of my coach.

Bottom-line less time on the roof. If something needs to be replaced up there then I will hire it done. People have died from falling off the roof so why take the chance.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #7

There is nothing safe about climbing a motor home mounted ladder. I think it can be good for mounting things too. But a straight up ladder with a few one inch screws holding it is not safe.....

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #8

The only reason I miss the ladder is, there is no place to our flag pole... never used it for anything else. Here at home I use a extension ladder...
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wouldn't own a coach without one. It's one of those items that each individual must decide the usefulness for themselves. I believe it a safer way to access my roof than if I used an extension ladder I had to step off from.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
void--
Old 12-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry a 8'ft, aluminum, step ladder with me for years now. I prop it up against the MH installed ladder and use it to get on the roof. It hooks onto a small rack (Camping World) hung on the top rung of the MH ladder. I secure it for traveling with a stretch bungee to a lower rung.

I had a fiberglass one and junked it- Too heavy

I use the step ladder all the time, cleaning roof water channels, cleaning the windshield, and other windows.

I'd be lost without it- and so would others coming to borrow it all the time-

And I qualify as an "Old guy"-

Cheers,
Old 12-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Just curious. Where will you keep that 17' ladder?
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Just curious. Where will you keep that 17' ladder?
Probably like the one I carry

bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #14

I don't like climbing up ladders that are not leaning, I would look for something like this
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote