RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #1

Last day of camping, "Bad Day at Black Rock"

The last day of a 2 week camping trip was a "Bad Day at Black Rock" including jack problems which I'll get into in another post...

I was pulling into a temporary storage lot with my gasser 1999 Mountain Aire 3767. At the entrance to the lot were these 5' high metal guard posts on either side of the entrance... I guess my mind was on my jack problems and I turned too sharp to the right and rubbed against the last post in the line... I took out
the lower rear awning mounting bracket, which doesn't appear to be too much of a problem, but I did rub a few feet of the lower part of the coach where the basement compartment doors are. I got mostly a few scrapes and a lot of yellow paint from the post on the doors.

But one door is now concave by a beautiful arc inwards by about 2" inches at the lower center of the door (front to back) including the bottom compartment bracing.. I can't open the door but I haven't tried very hard... It appears the latch area is bowed inward as well and probably jammed. Only the bottom 6-8 inches (up and down) of the door is bowed in.

Now my questions are these:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the yellow paint off with out harming the brown chassis paint underneath?

Also, I will try to remove the door, take it apart and straighten it myself. If I'm unsuccessful in doing that, then what are my options for fixing or replacing the door?

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to tackle any or all of my problems I'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks. Bill
Jack problems Part 2 later..

wilythek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
To get the yellow off, buy a bottle or can of rubbing compound and one of polishing compound.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #3

try a little acrysol or laquer paint thinner on a rag in a non conspicuious place on the lower part of the door, if the door paint does not come off on the rag of the door then you can use the thinner to take off the yellow paint,,, what you are checking for is to see if the basement doors are painted with a base coat clearcoat or an enamel,,, if they are clearcoat then a rag with laquer thinner will not harm the clear,, just do not dump it on the door use it only on the rag and wipe off any excess thinner,, it works great and quick and easy if the doors are painted with enamel then the color will come off on the rag and you will have to use a buffing compound and elbow greese,, try a small spot first to see
Old 06-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #4

it is difficult to repair that type of damage on the door,, you would be better off replacing the door with a used or new one and paint it... the paint code is located on the inside of the cabinet door above the sink on a spec sheet,, or at lease it is on mine

Tags
camping