Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2014, 01:26 AM   #1

Launch customer for Canyon Star 3910 - bunkhouse?

We finally did it - after months of comparing gasser bunkhouses & it coming down to the Tiffin 35QBA vs. Newmar 3910 - we just ordered the Canyon Star bunkhouse at the Dallas RV show today.

We really felt like we could not go wrong with either Tiffin & Newmar - but the Canyon Star 3910 was quite a bit of an upgrade (and more money too). I think my wife was sold on features only the 3910 could provide (dbl pane windows, res fridge, king bed & stackable w/d).

We were told by the Newmar rep that we are the very first customer to order the 2014 - 3910 gasser bunkhouse - dunno if that's true - but we would love to hear how other Canyon Star 40 footers ride & if the V10 is plenty of power to haul that large gasser & a toad too (looking at a CR-V).

The customer service/sales from Newmar was excellent & honest and we even plan on storing our new coach at National Indoor RV Storage in Lewisville, TX not too far away from where we live.

Our coach should be ready in mid-late May, just in time for my wife's b-day!

We are both pumped & can't wait - this is our first MH (did the tent, popup, hardside) - decided to skip the 5th wheel route & go class A instead (was kinda looking forward to that 1-ton dually - but oh well!).

Any tips on the Canyon Star would be appreciated as well as the Winegard Trav'ler Directv dish too...
fred061164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Congratulations on coach and joining the Newmar family.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide to pass the wait time.
Down below in my signature are links to many in relation to your new Newmar.
The new Ford chassis will serve you well.
Some Canyon Star owners.
Enjoy the forums and many safe and happy miles when you finally can drive that coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi fred061164,
Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar Owner's forum. You have many happy memories waiting to be made.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the ranks of Canyon Star owners. I'm sure you will be pleased with your purchase and have many years of enjoyable travels with it. The Canyon Star is one of the finest gas coaches on the market IMO. You will have enough power to move your coach and tow a vehicle but you won't win any races on grades or mountain driving.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome and Congratulations.... we have over 8K on our CS3940. Have traveled as far as Oklahoma from the East Coast. Drives well, we pull the CR-V with No issues. I have added 5 Star Tuning and CHF. We love our Canyon Star..... best coach we have had in the over 30 years we have been Rving. Of course the coaches have come along way since the 70's.

Check out the Several threads on the Canyon Star.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The 5 Star tuning Improves the Shifting and Throttle response, are the two Big items I notice.

CHF - improves the handling in the steering, Improvement is Great, takes about an hour. Change to the Front Sway bar..... " moved the links to the inner set of holes figuring it would make the sway bar harder to twist thereby increasing the roll stiffness."
pics - index.html
Old 02-23-2014, 07:40 PM   #7

Excellent tips - thanks all! :-)
Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Missed the mileage question...... I am now getting in the low 7 mpg. I have found with my previous V10 engines, mileage improves after 8 - 9K miles as the computer learns your driving habits. Early on I was getting 6.5 - 6.9 mpg, this was running the Generator during Hot weather. All of this is towing the CR-V. I would run High 7's and low 8's in my smaller MH's towing. Ironically I would get in the 9 mpg range on one tank of gas after a Oil change in my other coach. I use Synthetic oil.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #9

BTW - I just heard from my Newmar salesman that they sold another CS bunkhouse 3910 at the Dallas RV show (yeah!!). I didn't want to be the only one having a 2014 CS bunk - May can't come soon enough!