Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 09:01 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Leaking Storage Bay Door Seals?

Recently we purchased a 2020 Kountry Star 3426. Generally very happy with it, but two days ago we drove several hours in the rain.

Today when I went into one of our passenger side storage areas, I found the compartment carpeting was soaked and there was standing water in it. Further checking shows additional water intrusion in the pass through compartment and the exterior TV bay.

Is this a normal (or even occasional) problem with Newmar slam latch doors? I keep them all locked while driving and see no obvious gaps in the door seals but haven't had similar problems in two prior RVs.
Seeking70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking70 View Post
Recently we purchased a 2020 Kountry Star 3426. Generally very happy with it, but two days ago we drove several hours in the rain.

Today when I went into one of our passenger side storage areas, I found the compartment carpeting was soaked and there was standing water in it. Further checking shows additional water intrusion in the pass through compartment and the exterior TV bay.

Is this a normal (or even occasional) problem with Newmar slam latch doors? I keep them all locked while driving and see no obvious gaps in the door seals but haven't had similar problems in two prior RVs.
More likely water is coming from the dual wheels and than into basement by way of the frame rails. This is a common issue with Newmar, mine included
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Check your door seals. I had issues with three doors where the seals had gaps in them.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:46 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Good morning all. Is this a widespread problem with Newmars - specifically, have any NewAire owners experienced this? Having a lot of stored items in the basement, I would like to perform any inspections (or have the service center do so) before travelling into wet fall/winter weather. I am ready for failing windows, bad DEF head etc... and would like to be ready for water in the basement anamolies. As always, any inormation is very appreciated! Be well!
kdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:17 AM   #5

I have the exact same problem and a new 2020 Kountry Star.
3 wet boxes and all water sytems checked ok, hope you can let me know what you find and I'll do the same.
I went through snow and rain so I will take a closer look at the seals and imprint of the door and how it seals against the rubber.
Dont have dual wheels but wondered about that too, water sloshing up into the frame and running into different areas.
My wetest box was left rear, then the pegboard water tank box was very wet then the box behind it has a small wet spot.
Thanks
rsprklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:18 AM   #6

Mine is the 3426 also, what a coinsidence?
Old 11-22-2020, 12:46 AM   #7

Correction, I do have dual wheels too.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:50 AM   #8
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is not normal and should be fixed. While it is possible to come in the doors, it is most likely coming in through the wheel wells from the wiring bundles or around the frame penetrations. We had leaks repaired at Nappannee while we were under warranty. They did an excellent job.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:23 AM   #9
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes my 2017 CS has taken on moisture in a couple of the bays. Examining mine you could see when they install the door latch mechanism it intrudes onto the weather strip. I Put a light inside the bay, close the door and you can see light coming out.... we call that a clue. So I used a thin black house hold weatherstripping and attached it to the inside of the door latch mechanism.... no more light, so no more moisture. Yep kind of dumb to see that kind of stuff on these expensive Riggs but as we call it, ‘the carefree RV lifestyle’. lol
BnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #10

So thankful for your help!
Old 11-23-2020, 05:25 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I've checked for water intrusion after every rain while we've been stationary in RV parks and not seen any signs of leakage. The problem seems to only occur when driving in the rain.
We have an appointment with the dealer we bought from in mid December so hopefully they can resolve it. If not, I guess Indiana will be on our schedule.
Seeking70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #12

I had the same problem with my 2014 Canyon Star. You could see light at the bottom of some of the doors. I used an index card to check the tightness of the door seal from the bottom. Five door seals were replaced with a larger seal under warranty by Newmar. Still had water leakage after the repair so I purchased a larger seal off Amazon. AP Products 018-181-BB, 1.5" x3/4" x25' double bulb seal. No leakage now. Hope this helps.
StvC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #13

Not sure your Kountry Star cargo doors are anything like my Bay Star, but here's a problem I found with mine. I coated the rubber door seals with a layer of slide-out seal conditioner so I could see where the seals were contacting the door face. I discovered that rubber seals make contact along the top and two sides, but not the bottom. The top and side contact is against the black metal trim pieces (which seems as it should), but the rubber along the bottom does not contact the black metal trim along the bottom. The rubber, bottom 90 degree corners, turn and position the rubber above the black metal, trying to contact the inner white plastic surface. This white plastic is recessed enough to create a 1/4" gap on some doors. Put a straight edge across the side black metal trim pieces and you'll see this potential gap (if your cargo doors are like mine). My issue is finding where mice are getting in. I've only owned my 2017 Bay Star for several months and haven't driven in much rain yet. I installed 1/4" thick x 1" wide dense foam weather stripping along this bottom span. I used glue backed stripping plus I used 3M 77 spray adhesive on the white plastic for additional adhesion. If Newmar used the same width black metal trim on the bottom, that they use on the sides, the rubber would have a good seal all around. I'm pretty sure they intend for the rubber seal to contact the metal trim all around (some door dimension is wrong on some drawing out of engineering), time for a rev.
shunsberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, leak, seal, seals, storage