RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2021, 06:32 PM   #1

Leaking window

So I've got a 1999 dutch star, my first motorhome. I've had it for a couple months now and have been crawling all over it trying to make sure it's sealed up good. There's small water damage that I started to fix on the floor near the driver's seat with a little damage under the window. I believe it's not leaking anymore. While I was dealing with the fix inside, I ordered the sample glazing kit from pelland and got two sizes coming for the window. The glazing bead just showed up.

The glazing bead is the right size but the new stuff that came from pelland was almost twice as thick in the elbow section of the bead. I have attached a picture of it. Drove me crazy trying to get it in the window, I did not succeed. Put the old piece back in and put a mess of silicone on it for a temporary fix.

Called up newmar and found out this window is a Creation window, only to find out that they are no longer in business. I don't know what to do. I don't know if I need to order an entire new window? Seems kind of silly. Is there a standard method of replacing an entire window? Website? Recommended brand?

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can take the meat out of the new glazing bead with a dremel, just enough so I can get it in there.

Oh, it's also about 35 F outside and blowing about 40mph... Pelland's advice to me was to park the motorhome so it's setting in the sun, get it nice and warm... That's not going to happen.

This is my first post, so please excuse me if I'm in the wrong area.

Thanks for the help
EL Cheeko!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210113_153720782_HDR.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	314371   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210113_153732530_HDR.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	665.8 KB
ID:	314372  

Name:	IMG_20210113_154614700.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	495.8 KB
ID:	314373  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2021, 09:24 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 and the Vintage Newmar family.

I've got a drivers side door so my windows are different .
Both the stationary glass on the drivers side ; in front of the door ( I'll post a photo tomorrow ) and the glass in the entry door , separated from the frame .
What ever bonding agent in use didn't hold up for 18 years , resealed 3 years ago . Picture of entry door glass below.
I blame the lack of drainage in the lower outer frame below the rubber seal , bonding material , steamed out as water evaporated from the lower frame .
Lack of bond between the glass and frame was the actual water leak into the interior.
Warmed the rubber in a bucket of hot water to re-install.

Did you send a picture of your old seal's profile to Pelland ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0311 (640x360).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	314379  
Old 01-13-2021, 09:57 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Old 01-13-2021, 11:07 PM   #4

I've been doing some more research and may have found another source, other than pelland. When I spoke with pelland earlier they told me the seal was for herh windows. They also told me the seal might fit in the Creation window that I had, but implied I might have to work a little harder to get it in there. I had watched some "how to" videos, and it looked pretty simple, but if it wasn't the exact replacement seal... I didn't send any photos to pelland, was kind of disappointed when the new piece didn't magically snap into place. They probably have good customer service because I see them referenced all over the internet, I just happened to move onto another product that I think will work better.

The weather conditions are not very forgiving at the moment, so I'm not really in the position to be struggling with it in the blowing rain and snow.

What I found was another product called steel rubber, https://www.steelerubber.com/

Looks like it's a gold mine for all types of different rubber seals in regards to motorhomes, going to be researching the slide seals as well. They posted a bunch of youtube videos demonstrating their products.

I ordered a two foot piece that's got the 3/4" length against the glass and the foot that snaps into the channel is a smaller 5/16". I might have better luck with this piece.

I'm going to continue to research more and keep trying. If I find something good I'll let ya know.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2021, 06:19 PM   #5

Just wanted to update this by saying I got a sample from https://www.steelerubber.com/. Turns out they give samples for free. They also recommend saving your old rubber if a match cannot be made, if you send the old rubber to them they will make it. Also, the rubber they use is advertised as not to shrink in cold weather.

I ordered a small piece from them and it looks like it will fit. It seems this company specializes in customer service.

Haven't put the piece I ordered in yet, as the waleather is crappy outside. It's gonna have to wait.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #6

I did get out to get photos of my windows .... only to find my new front clearance light were leaking worse than the originals , 1/2" of water on the dash . So I got a little side tracked .

Good the hear that you've found a supplier for the rubber seals .
On a side note , on the stationary glass the rubber is in place to keep water out of the frame , if ; as it did in my case , water gets into the frame and then past the glass to the interior of the coach , that's an indication that the seal/bond between the glass and frame has let go .
In the first photo the grey material between the glass and frame is new sealant that I used three years ago ( poor choice on my part as it needs to be re-done).
When I had the glass out to install the sealant , I drilled three 1/8" holes to drain any water out of the frame ( that got past the rubber ) before it got deep enough to go up under the glass. Arrows in second picture .
NOTE: The glass is tempered safety glass , do not drill these holes with the glass in place , drill bit contacting the glass edge WILL shatter it!

If you can push on the glass from inside and see any movement in the area of the grey sealant I used, or like the pink paper in my first post ; then the glass must be removed the frame cleaned and new sealant installed between the glass and frame.

Please note , that another member , with our vintage of Newmar DSDP , had the glass blow out of the entry door at highway speed , because the sealant ( glass to frame ) had let go .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0836.JPG
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	315352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0834.JPG
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	315353  

Old 01-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #7

Yeah, that appears to be the case in mine. I'm gonna have to redo all the seals. Just waiting on better weather.
Old 01-22-2021, 12:33 PM   #8

I'm looking into sealants , will post my findings .

Also waiting on weather .
Old 01-22-2021, 01:07 PM   #9

Hey skip,

Just wanted to show you this, perhaps unnecessarily but it doesn't hurt. When I bought my motorhome a few months ago all the lights had crispy gaskets and instead of trying to seal them all I just upgraded all the running lights with new led that came with new gaskets. Here's the link if you want to take a look.
20 Pcs LedVillage 12V DC 6.4 Inch...
https://www.amazon.com/LedVillage-Cl...d+vill&sr=8-80

They are easy to install and look nice. Ran a small bead of caulk around them after install and no leaks. $50.00 for twenty of them.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:51 PM   #10

Thanks for the link ; I'll see if they're carried in Canada ; but the overall measurement seems wrong and right now my front ones are taped over . I'll get up and measure the back ones. Same size , red lens.

3/4" frost on the ground this morning , sun all day ( so far )and still white in the shade.

RV repair looks like March as a start date.

If mine measure the same , and you have 15 extra , I might just swing by in Oct. while driving south and buy some . LOL

Tags
leak, wind, window