Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2021, 12:24 AM   #1
dp7

Leaks into basement when driving in the rain

Living in southern California, it is rare for me to drive in the rain. My last out of state trip included a stretch of driving in the rain. At the end of the day I found that the basement compartments before & after the rear axle were wet. It did not appear that the water came in thru the door gaskets because the basement floor adjacent to the doors was dry.

I recall seeing past posts about this on other Newmar coaches but was unable to find any current posts. For those that have encountered this type of water leak, were you able to determine the entry point? What type of sealant did you use & did you install a wheel well liner as part of the fix?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2021, 07:51 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp7 View Post
Living in southern California, it is rare for me to drive in the rain. My last out of state trip included a stretch of driving in the rain. At the end of the day I found that the basement compartments before & after the rear axle were wet. It did not appear that the water came in thru the door gaskets because the basement floor adjacent to the doors was dry.

I recall seeing past posts about this on other Newmar coaches but was unable to find any current posts. For those that have encountered this type of water leak, were you able to determine the entry point? What type of sealant did you use & did you install a wheel well liner as part of the fix?
We had this issue when our London Aire was 6 months old we drove thru a rain storm for 7 hours. I had a bunch of water in my rear passenger side compartment ( one forward of the tv compartment ) Newmar put me up in a hotel for 10 days ( 8 working days ) Water from the dual wheels was coming up and onto the rails than running forward. I have a appointment this December for a regular servicing and they will be looking at that again, I recently had some water come in ( much less ) Am not sure how much water you got in but I know that Newmar had my wheels off in order to get to the area where the water was coming in.

I guess you can say that am fortunate for living in a area that gets rain so we knew about it early on in ownership. Hope this helps and safe travels
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:02 AM   #3
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96kpmjmm View Post
We had this issue when our London Aire was 6 months old we drove thru a rain storm for 7 hours. I had a bunch of water in my rear passenger side compartment ( one forward of the tv compartment ) Newmar put me up in a hotel for 10 days ( 8 working days ) Water from the dual wheels was coming up and onto the rails than running forward. I have a appointment this December for a regular servicing and they will be looking at that again, I recently had some water come in ( much less ) Am not sure how much water you got in but I know that Newmar had my wheels off in order to get to the area where the water was coming in.

I guess you can say that am fortunate for living in a area that gets rain so we knew about it early on in ownership. Hope this helps and safe travels
Thank you Kevin. Did Newmar just caulk around the frame rails or did they also install wheel well liners? Do you know what kind of caulk they used?

Looks like I will have to fix this myself since I am out of warranty. I have a feeling that the leak has been there since it left the factory, but did not show up previously since driving in the rain has been very rare. Pulling the duals does not sound like much fun!
Old 10-16-2021, 03:46 AM   #4

Leaks

Quote:

I had this problem on our 2020 Dutch star. I pulled the wheels and cleaned everywhere underside in the wheel wells. Any place that looked suspect I applied rubber tape and then double coated everything with Eastman spray undercoating. No more leaks
farmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you Kevin. Did Newmar just caulk around the frame rails or did they also install wheel well liners? Do you know what kind of caulk they used?

Looks like I will have to fix this myself since I am out of warranty. I have a feeling that the leak has been there since it left the factory, but did not show up previously since driving in the rain has been very rare. Pulling the duals does not sound like much fun!
Water getting in the basement from the drive tires is very common, most don't know till the floor rots out. Tried for years with Mountain Aire to stop it, never won the battle. This is the plan I came up with to permanently correct this common water intrusion on my Essex. No more water, any where in basement .

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/ess...ed-547001.html
Old 10-16-2021, 08:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had the some problem with my 2018 MADP. Although I was out of warranty, Newmar covered the repair.

The job was pretty involved. They had to remove the gray tank and wet bay panel as well as various components mount on/near it.

They caulked the whole length of the frame rails from where it entered in the basement at just forward of the rear tires all the way to where it exited the front of the basement area (I also had some water stains on the carpeted wall at the front of the basement where water had leaked down from the rail).

The tech stated that the coach was designed to allow water to flow along the rail, but that the caulk will stop that water from leaking into the basement. Not sure its really designed to have water in the rails, but the caulking fixed the problem.

As for type of caulking used, not really sure, but it appears to be the same black caulking you will see elsewhere in the basement where cables enter/exit (for instance where cables exit the basement for the battery compartment.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #7
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Water getting in the basement from the drive tires is very common, most don't know till the floor rots out. Tried for years with Mountain Aire to stop it, never won the battle. This is the plan I came up with to permanently correct this common water intrusion on my Essex. No more water, any where in basement .

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/ess...ed-547001.html
Thank you. I checked the link & appreciate your detailed post. Looks like all of the caulking is on the outside of the frame rails. Did you need to do any caulking on the inside of the rails (differential area that's hard to see)? What was the purpose of foam sheets placed on top of the rails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
I had the some problem with my 2018 MADP. Although I was out of warranty, Newmar covered the repair.

The job was pretty involved. They had to remove the gray tank and wet bay panel as well as various components mount on/near it.

They caulked the whole length of the frame rails from where it entered in the basement at just forward of the rear tires all the way to where it exited the front of the basement area (I also had some water stains on the carpeted wall at the front of the basement where water had leaked down from the rail).

The tech stated that the coach was designed to allow water to flow along the rail, but that the caulk will stop that water from leaking into the basement. Not sure its really designed to have water in the rails, but the caulking fixed the problem.

As for type of caulking used, not really sure, but it appears to be the same black caulking you will see elsewhere in the basement where cables enter/exit (for instance where cables exit the basement for the battery compartment.
Thank you for the response. Why did Newmar have to pull the tanks? Seems that caulking should be on the outside basement wall. If they pulled the tanks to caulk the inside basement wall it would seem that water would still rot the wood in the wall.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:27 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Thank you for the response. Why did Newmar have to pull the tanks?

“They caulked the whole length of the frame rails from where it entered in the basement at just forward of the rear tires all the way to where it exited the front of the basement area”

The tank had to be removed in order to access the frame rail that was above the tank.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=dp7;5958015]Thank you. I checked the link & appreciate your detailed post. Looks like all of the caulking is on the outside of the frame rails. Did you need to do any caulking on the inside of the rails (differential area that's hard to see)? What was the purpose of foam sheets placed on top of the rails?

Yes, caulked rail's inside and out, then sprayed several coats of Eastwood rubberized coating on everything. I sealed off the top of the frame rails just to keep all the water from the drives on the outside, no water getting inside between the rail's.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:11 PM   #10
dp7

Quote:
“They caulked the whole length of the frame rails from where it entered in the basement at just forward of the rear tires all the way to where it exited the front of the basement area”

The tank had to be removed in order to access the frame rail that was above the tank.
I am confused. The frame rails are a open C channel. Unclear why caulking the frame rails from the rear basement bulkhead to the basement front bulkhead does anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0566b.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	347100  
Old 10-25-2021, 09:05 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I am confused. The frame rails are a open C channel. Unclear why caulking the frame rails from the rear basement bulkhead to the basement front bulkhead does anything.

The frame rail has a cover over the channel. The gap between the rail and the cover is caulked. See attached.

The caulk would keep any water getting past the rear bulkhead from dripping into the basement area. I would like to think that the caulk at the bulkhead would keep water from entering the basement area, but all I can say is thatthe work they did was successful. I’ve had no water in the basement since.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9177.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	327.2 KB
ID:	347117
Old 10-25-2021, 09:12 PM   #12
dp7

Quote:
The frame rail has a cover over the channel. The gap between the rail and the cover is caulked. See attached.

The caulk would keep any water getting past the rear bulkhead from dripping into the basement area. I would like to think that the caulk at the bulkhead would keep water from entering the basement area, but all I can say is thatthe work they did was successful. I’ve had no water in the basement since.

Attachment 347117
Thank you for the clarification!
Old 10-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #13

Is this an issue with the F-53 chassis as well?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks