Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #1

Leaky Pressure Relief

We have a 2017 BS3401 and noticed the hot water pressure relief valve drips when using hot water. Should we replace or is this normal?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9017.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	228068
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 01:02 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
It is not normal. Replace it
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Not normal, but before you replace it, cycle it a few times and let a good quantity of water flow through it. Sometimes, a small bit of debris will get trapped between the valve seat and the rubber seal. Cycling the valve will sometimes flush the piece of debris out and allow a proper reseal.

If cycling the valve a half-dozen times doesn't stop the leak, it is definitely time to replace the pressure relief valve.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Ours has done this a couple of times (2018 Bay Star). As TJ said, I will release some pressure / water to allow it flush out whatever debris could be causing it to not seat completely. So far it has worked and the small drip stopped.

Bill
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #5

Thank you TJ I and Bully. There must have been some debris there. It works now. I need to filter the water coming into the coach.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

John-

A weeping T&P valve is often a sign that the water heater has lost its "air pocket." That is "normal," in that it happens to many water heaters over time. Here is a link to the Atwood brochure that describes how to re-establish the "air pocket":

https://dutcheagle.com/rv/wp-content...ceTri-Fold.pdf

See the bottom right corner of the second page.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
John-

A weeping T&P valve is often a sign that the water heater has lost its "air pocket." That is "normal," in that it happens to many water heaters over time. Here is a link to the Atwood brochure that describes how to re-establish the "air pocket":

https://dutcheagle.com/rv/wp-content...ceTri-Fold.pdf

See the bottom right corner of the second page.
Yup what he said. Saved me some typing.
PRO-BILT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #8

I'll say this is and isn't "normal."

And it usually does have to do with the air-pocket.

We have three RV's at the moment. Two of them hardly ever do this, but our 5th Wheel's 10 gal. Suburban water heater has apparently done this from day one -- and it still does.

Somehow that water heater loses its air-pocket within just a few days. And once lost, it drips.

Here's a simple little test to see how much of the air-pocket your water heater has.

1) Make sure your city water connection is OFF! If it's ON, water will spray out and scald you!

2) Make sure your 12v water pump is also OFF. Same warning.

3) Release water pressure by opening a faucet anywhere in the coach -- you can even open the outdoor shower to release pressure.

4) Once pressure is released, pull the water heater's pressure release valve's handle out towards you. It should remain pulled out straight towards you on its own.

5) It's normal for a little water to dribble out when you pull that handle out. But if it keeps dripping and dripping, that means you've lost the air-pocket.

On our 5th Wheel trailer that continually does this, it will drop for up to 15 minutes before it finally stops.

6) When the dripping stops, the air-pocket has been re-formed -- and you can push the pressure release lever back into normal position.

7) With a normal healthy system, this valve rarely drips. And if it does, usually only at the end of its heating cycle when it's at its hottest. Then it stops.

We've given up on figuring where the problem is in our 5th Wheel's water heater system. The pressure relief valve has been replaced and the system has been pressure tested. But it continues to lose the air-pocket over time. All I can figure is that I've got a very small air-leak somewhere. Not a water leak, but an air leak.

If your coach is still under warranty, I'd have it fixed. It's not supposed to do this. And if it continues, you'll eventually get rust where it drips and the water collects.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
I'll say this is and isn't "normal."

And it usually does have to do with the air-pocket.

We have three RV's at the moment. Two of them hardly ever do this, but our 5th Wheel's 10 gal. Suburban water heater has apparently done this from day one -- and it still does.

Somehow that water heater loses its air-pocket within just a few days. And once lost, it drips.

Here's a simple little test to see how much of the air-pocket your water heater has.

1) Make sure your city water connection is OFF! If it's ON, water will spray out and scald you!

2) Make sure your 12v water pump is also OFF. Same warning.

3) Release water pressure by opening a faucet anywhere in the coach -- you can even open the outdoor shower to release pressure.

4) Once pressure is released, pull the water heater's pressure release valve's handle out towards you. It should remain pulled out straight towards you on its own.

5) It's normal for a little water to dribble out when you pull that handle out. But if it keeps dripping and dripping, that means you've lost the air-pocket.

On our 5th Wheel trailer that continually does this, it will drop for up to 15 minutes before it finally stops.

6) When the dripping stops, the air-pocket has been re-formed -- and you can push the pressure release lever back into normal position.

7) With a normal healthy system, this valve rarely drips. And if it does, usually only at the end of its heating cycle when it's at its hottest. Then it stops.

We've given up on figuring where the problem is in our 5th Wheel's water heater system. The pressure relief valve has been replaced and the system has been pressure tested. But it continues to lose the air-pocket over time. All I can figure is that I've got a very small air-leak somewhere. Not a water leak, but an air leak.

If your coach is still under warranty, I'd have it fixed. It's not supposed to do this. And if it continues, you'll eventually get rust where it drips and the water collects.

Suburban water heaters by design have a smaller air gap AND the air is exposed to more if the exhaust chamber .....combustion/exhaust are stacked so full length of exhaust tube is only covered by small amount of water
Just nature of the design
Suburban even admits some 'weeping' from T&P is 'normal'
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak