Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #1

Leave ignition key on?

Hi guys,

New DSDP owner here with dumb question. Is it okay to leave the ignition key in the "left" setting? The one that powers the leveler and dash stereo and camera and such? Does that just drain the chassis batteries by doing so?

I kind of like having it powered up, but I won't do it if it's not a good idea.

Thanks,

Ben
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would say yes, it will drain the batteries if left in the "ACC" position. Just like in your car.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
key on

I agree if the key is on you are using the motor battery even in the acc position. I dont know your coach but my Holiday Rambler has a switch for the dash radio to power it from the house battery's. As for the levelers once you are leveled out they dont need power
Old 03-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #4

First, my dash radio works without the key being in the ACC position. As said previously, once you are level why do you need the system active? But assuming you are in a campground and plugged in it doesn't matter as your batteries are being charged.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You do not or should not need your key in that position for the dash radio to work.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Breaking Bad, season 2 episode 9: "4 Days Out"

Unless you're Walter White, don't do it.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-30-2015, 09:04 PM   #7

Ha ha, okay, thanks guys. A couple follow-ups:

1. For the leveler, I just like seeing the red dots. They are cool. And, twice so far, I've found the auto-level not right after messing around a bit. It's easier to hit the buttons when there is power.

2. One of you has said that the chassis battery is being charged if I'm connected to shore power. Is that right? Is there a relay that links the chassis to the rest of the power bus when plugged in? Anyway, if this is true, it seems like there would be no harm to leaving it in ACC.

3. My real motivation was to keep the dash stereo and cameras on. I like being able to see around the coach from inside it, and I like the stereo. It turns out, for the first time tonight, the dash stereo stayed on even when turning off the ignition. I have no idea why it was shutting off before! But, I do lose the cameras.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #8

If you just want to have the back up camera on, just change the power wire leading to the monitor.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:52 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
On your jack pad with the leds after your coach has been leveled either manually or AUTO LEVEL do not just hit any button to trim what you may think a jack is out of trim, if you do you may twist the chassis frame and pop your windshield from its rubber gasket, NOT GOOD.
ALL your batteries will be charged while shore power line is plugged in by your BIRD or B.I.M. SYSTEM explained in this link I provided to you.
Your camera usually has to be in reverse gear to display or maybe there is temp sensor to disconnect to protect monitor from over heating.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:25 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes. the ACCESSORY position will drain the chassis battery...It may also do other things (on my coach the same radio speakers are shared by both the dash radio and the "House" home theater radio..The ignition switch selects which.. ACC or ON = Dash Selected)

HOWEVER if your RV has a bi-directional isolator (Mine does) then the house converter will charge the chassis battery WHEN you have shore/generator power to charge it with.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:33 AM   #11

I say get it set up so you don't have to leave the key on. The way it comes from the factory does not guarantee it meets your needs. Think "committee decision"!

Would take about 30 seconds to change for a tech familiar with your coach.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
On your jack pad with the leds after your coach has been leveled either manually or AUTO LEVEL do not just hit any button to trim what you may think a jack is out of trim, if you do you may twist the chassis frame and pop your windshield from its rubber gasket, NOT GOOD.
Now, that's interesting. What would be the difference in doing that and simply manually leveling the coach with the buttons in the first place, assuming after auto level it's not actually level?

Quote:
Your camera usually has to be in reverse gear to display or maybe there is temp sensor to disconnect to protect monitor from over heating.
My camera always displays, regardless of gear. And I like it that way, because I want to see the toad.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:13 AM   #13

It sounds like the consensus opinion is that I should be able to stay in ACC when on shore power. I'll check with Newmar next time I'm on the phone with them as well. Thanks guys!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:16 AM   #14

Personally I wouldn't leave anything on unless it has to be on. Every electronic device has an MTBF and you are just shortening its life.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote