Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2022, 05:57 AM   #29

Thanks for all the great answers. I’m learning alot!
Mle75749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2022, 02:42 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
I believe all models will provide hot water with the motor running, but only those specifically equipped will do the reverse - preheat the motor FROM the Oasis….
Thanks for that! Very helpful
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:54 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Typically, the "Aire" coaches on up will heat the engine via the Oasis, Dutch Star down doesn't.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:04 AM   #32

good mornin, This is my first post after reading many others. I am a full timer in a 2022 DS 4369. I do not use AC1 or 2 and just use the burner for hot water. Reason being, I am in AL and if AC1 or 2 is used my Amps will be around 60 if all 3 ac units are running. I am on a 50amp hook up. Can someone explain if this is an issue? and if so why is it an issue. Thanks
kurtlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:32 AM   #33
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtlaut View Post
good mornin, This is my first post after reading many others. I am a full timer in a 2022 DS 4369. I do not use AC1 or 2 and just use the burner for hot water. Reason being, I am in AL and if AC1 or 2 is used my Amps will be around 60 if all 3 ac units are running. I am on a 50amp hook up. Can someone explain if this is an issue? and if so why is it an issue. Thanks

50 amp electric service is really TWO (2) 50 amp breakers,
which is 100 amps total. It would be unusual if your coach was wired so that it could pull 60 amps on one line (it would trip the breaker on that side).

It is also unusual to need all 3 air conditioners simultaneously. We have 3 and I almost never turn on more than two. In really hot conditions try bumping fan speed to medium or high, it really helps move more air. Also consider getting a Magneshade which is a sunshade that is on the OUTSIDE of your windshield…..easily cuts the heat by 15-20 degrees coming through that glass and makes it far easier to keep the coach cool.
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:51 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club

In addition, I am sure you have a load shedding system that would not allow you to overload your system (Precision Circuits).
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:09 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
one way this could happen is if the elements are mis wired... but usually the Oasis AC Sense relay will stop working with this kind of current going through it..
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
GUS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:33 AM   #36

Quote:
If three AC's are needed and working away I would not use a electric element and also be miserly with any other high amp draw use. Just because you can doesn't mean it's a good idea. My concern is simply being cautious with any shortcomings with the RV park's power.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:34 AM   #37

Quote:
Chiming in, it’s not an issue to run the burner, but why would you want to. As was stated, the coach is designed to handle that load of the ac’s and the water heater. The 60 amps has to be a total usage and is divided out in the 50a service.

Our coach generally sheds one ac unit and I don’t know if all can even run at the same time. We have 100deg days here and it is very comfortable. We generally leave our heater on AC1 and have all the hot water we need. During actual shower time, I may bump it to AC2. The ac units in your coach don’t pull but about 12 amps or so, so your electrical should handle it.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:35 AM   #38
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Here is something I wrote when we first got our coach and were new to hydronic heating. Depending on the outside temp and campground water temp, determines how hot you're water needs to be. If you're running all your A/C units, you'll only need to turn on AC1 to get plenty of hot water, as it's already hot outside and so is the water.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/oas...es-229100.html
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:35 AM   #39

Thank you, I read your post and that all makes sense. My question was is there an issue with just running the burner for hot water? I always have unlimited to water my wife and I can take back to back showers and the water never changes temps. I use 3 AC's here in Alabama due to the humidity and temp I can keep the coach 72 degrees or below ( I am a cold blooded New Englander). Reading your post it doesn't sounds like there is any issues with just running the burner. depending on the park / resort you are I found running AC1 & 2 would stress the power. so to sum things up I don't run AC1 or AC2 or both , only use the Burner for hot water and I am in the summer loop. Please let me know if I missed anything or could be causing pending issues. I understand the electrical part and what makes a 50 amp circuit and I understand my coach sheds circuits as needed.
kurtlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Thank you, I read your post and that all makes sense. My question was is there an issue with just running the burner for hot water? I always have unlimited to water my wife and I can take back to back showers and the water never changes temps. I use 3 AC's here in Alabama due to the humidity and temp I can keep the coach 72 degrees or below ( I am a cold blooded New Englander). Reading your post it doesn't sounds like there is any issues with just running the burner. depending on the park / resort you are I found running AC1 & 2 would stress the power. so to sum things up I don't run AC1 or AC2 or both , only use the Burner for hot water and I am in the summer loop. Please let me know if I missed anything or could be causing pending issues. I understand the electrical part and what makes a 50 amp circuit and I understand my coach sheds circuits as needed.
The only thing with using the burner is the burning of deisel fuel and the price you pay! Maybe not much fuel used but still, if your electric is included there is a small savings FWIW.
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oasis