Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2022, 09:52 PM   #1

leave Oasis I & II on all day when parked for 2-3 weeks

When camped in same spot for 2-3 weeks is it best, or okay, to leave the Oasis I & II heaters turned on all the time. Or is it best for wear to only turn them on a short time before needing hot water?

Will leaving them on full time take less wear and energy to keep the Oasis unit fluid hot rather than let it all cool down then have to reheat all the fluid again from cold to hot.

If leaving the Oasis heating unit on full time would it be best to leave both I & II on, or turn II off and let ACI do it all as long as hot water needs is taken care if? Was thinking this might save burning out both units at same time.

Never gave most of this much thought, but after all the problems I've had to solve before this trip I've getting a little paranoid about trying to avoid future problems while taking a 3 week trip.

Any experience, history, or advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Have a 2015 Dutch Star 4018 I bought new in June 2015.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2022, 10:07 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I have always turned mine off when not needing hot water. Any electric heating element has a limited life span, and my thinking was no need to keep it hot when I wasn't using it. Plus, you are never more than 5 mins away from hot water using the burner. Others may have a different view.
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
After I park and get leveled & hooked up (50 amp) I turn on both electric elements. Then when we want heat or shower we turn on the burner. I leave the electric on and shut off the burner. At a sticks & bricks the hot water heater (if electric) is on all of the time. The element burns out because the corrosion eats thru the element and it shorts out. These elements are immersed in glycol.
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:20 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We leave one or both elements on all the time, depending on the outside temps.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:05 AM   #5

I leave 1 and 2 on for months at a time.
Suburbazine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:18 AM   #6
Community Moderator

I have read about the circulation pumps going out with regularity, and the one they refer to as the “summer loop”, is the one which runs anytime the boiler is hot. For this reason I only turn on the AC1 or AC2 prior to needing a shower, and then off when showers are over. This keeps the pump running a minimum of time.

This strategy seems to be working in over 2 years of full-time use, as none of the circulation pumps have gone bad since I have owned the coach. The previous owner had to replace pumps, and there are many threads here on IRV2 of owners needing to replace pumps.

In outside temperatures above 60F AC1 will take about an hour to heat the boiler until it shuts off, and AC1+AC2 heats in about half the time. I use the burner about one shower per month, (or when I want to shower in 5 minutes) just to “exercise” the burner, and keep it working well.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 05:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We leave one or both elements on all the time, depending on the outside temps.
That's our practice as well. If one or both elec elements fail I still have the burner as back- up until it gets repaired.

Do you turn off your water heater between uses at home?
If so I would in MH as well. No back heat source at home so it "leaves you cold" with any failure.

A common myth that turning off any heat will consume more energy to reheat that leaving it on. Not so
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:56 AM   #8

When set up, we leave ours turned on. Sometimes 1&2, but usually 1 only provides plenty of hot water...even for "normal" length showers. We turn on 2 if we're also heating the coach with Oasis vs the in-floor or heat pump options.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:28 AM   #9

We will have one or both electric ON 100% while we are using the coach. Who wants to turn on a faucet & not have hot water? I actually never even need the burner for a shower but DW insists she does. Generally she'll turn burner on and then off after she showers.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:49 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Question ? How many that say they leave the hot water on 24/7 have had pumps fail in the Oasis?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Question ? How many that say they leave the hot water on 24/7 have had pumps fail in the Oasis?
I had my first failures after 3 years of use by me and I don't know how many by the previous owners, but perhaps they didn't leave the heat on.

But even if I have to change a pump every few years I'd leave it on. I want hot water when I want it...like washing my hands after going to the bathroom or before eating, which I don't want to time by waiting for water to heat up.

I could also make my RV last forever by never using it. ;-)
Old 06-07-2022, 02:57 PM   #12

Great replys, and I appreciate the different ideas. We don't need much hot water during the day, but we do like hot water when washing hands, like after toilet use or outside dumping black tank (gray tank left open all time). Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I have read about the circulation pumps going out with regularity, and the one they refer to as the “summer loop”, is the one which runs anytime the boiler is hot. For this reason I only turn on the AC1 or AC2 prior to needing a shower, and then off when showers are over. This keeps the pump running a minimum of time.

This strategy seems to be working in over 2 years of full-time use, as none of the circulation pumps have gone bad since I have owned the coach. The previous owner had to replace pumps, and there are many threads here on IRV2 of owners needing to replace pumps.

In outside temperatures above 60F AC1 will take about an hour to heat the boiler until it shuts off, and AC1+AC2 heats in about half the time. I use the burner about one shower per month, (or when I want to shower in 5 minutes) just to “exercise” the burner, and keep it working well.
My circulation pump has gone out twice in 7 years. Never have understood if pump runs ALL the time heat is on or just when a facuet is turned on for hot water, or cold water also. Veery confusing.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:57 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Knock on wood.....I've had two Dutch Stars with the Oasis system, totaling eight years. I've never had a pump go bad.

Years ago, there was an argument that if you didn't turn the Oasis electric burners off while driving, the summer loop pump would continue to run in search of hot water, since the pump is 12 volt powered. Many were not shutting the burners off, just disconnecting shore power. Others argued that there were systems in place to prevent that, but I was never convinced.

In between campsites, I shut down the elements and have never had an issue. With everything in the cabinet above the driver's seat, it's easy to remember to turn off the sat, turn off the burners and bring the slides in.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
oasis