RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #1

LED bulb conversion for Halogen pucks

Don't know if anyone already posted something like this but here goes:
If you want to replace those high power using, hot 10watt halogen bulbs to LED's for the 2.75" ceiling pucks, Newmar does sell them. Although not exact same "light color" as halogens, they fit with no mods, will work on units that have high/low switches. Replaced all mine in 2007 MADP as we do like to dry camp and power usage is cut way down, along with no more burning hot lamp lenses. The light is slightly "whiter" and on the low setting brighter than halogen which some may not like. I did try some other suppliers first but some would not work on the low setting. If you take a nail file or sandpaper and round off the connecting pin ends first and make sure pins are parallel to each other (carefully holding pin near bulb base and gently bending pin using two pairs of needle nose pliers) they go into the lamp much easier as pin ends tend to be a little rough. Make sure to blow off the bulbs if filed or sanded before you install. A slight pencil mark on the edge of the lamp lens and ceiling material before removal will help make sure the lens is correctly seated as sometimes hard to hear little tabs click when reinstalling lens. Easy to clean off with paper towel and cleaner. Did replace micro/convection surface light ( GE Advantium,20watt halogen) using same LED. Not quite as bright but lot less power usage and LED seems to able to take heat from cook top. Did have to bend pins quite a bit to fit under glass and shine down. One more thing, all bulbs on a switch need to be converted to LED at same time for low setting to work. Same LED bulbs Newmar uses on new models.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Can you advise what LED you used for the GE Advantium? Would like to replace ours with an LED too. And where did you order it and how much was it?

Thanks.

Deek

FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2020 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 / Freightliner with DriveTech / All Electric / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Deek here is a link for LED LIGHTS found in QT's # 3 I will add tm2go's also if he can supply them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #4

Newmar part # 121372 $15.88
Newmar parts in Nappanee at 574-773-7791
same part in ceiling pucks and GE Advantium micro/convection oven.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #5

Forgot to mention that if you change lamps from halogen to LED if circuit is fuse protected you may want to change fuse amp rating.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #6

The bulbs I used for the pucks are 12x 5050 SMD, which is the most one can pack on a disk that will fit the fixture. Some are selling replacements that have only 6 or 9 chips. Of course 12 = more light. The 5050 LEDs are brighter than the 3528 LEDs that many are using. Yes, they dim.
I replaced every bulb in my coach (running lights/tail aready LED). My coach has the intellitec switching system with dimmers and all the LED's dim just as the halogens did. Buying in lots of 100, the puck replacements were $2.53 ea. including shipping. Be sure you get non polarized ones. I used the vendor AprilTang on DHgate. Good people.
3528 refers to 3.5mm x 2.8mm.
The 5050 emits about 3 times the light as the 3528 led.
Polarized means negative to negative and positive to positive connections required to work the light.
Non polarized means can be cross wired and will work either way.
Non polarized is accomplished by the addition of a bridge recifier usually mounted on the back of the board. Some rectifiers are larger than others and may obstruct when mounting in puck lights. The fixture can be removed and re-wired to correct polarity.
Warm white Leds are about 4500 kelvins, where bright whites are about 6500k. Natural white is in the middle, but harder to find. Watch out for the bright whites, brighter light, but bluish light and "cold". The 10w halogens like those found in many RV lights are around 3200K.
The G4 replacements for puck lights are side pins and the bulb cannot be turned around to correct polarity issues as one can with other types of bi-pin bulbs.
Bayonet base leds are polarized, but the bulb fits only one way (1157 double contact) or makes no difference in 1141 single contact.
Most LEDs are dimmable.
Hope this is of use to those converting to LEDs.
I recommend it.

Here are links to what I purchased.
http://www.dhgate.com/car-light-g4-1...e8da263b7.html

http://www.dhgate.com/1156-102-smd-3...a6c6f2e64.html

http://www.dhgate.com/mr16-60-smd-le...9e3f278b0.html

And the main store/web page

http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/stor...598a954bc.html
Old 03-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #7

Looks like your bulbs are way less $ than I paid. I don't know exact specs for lamps from Newmar, only that I tried some from SuperBriteleds.com, some from Jirah company, and some from RV special Things (at Quartzite, Az. RV show) and none worked on the low (6 volt) side of my rig. Maybe yours would.
I also tried some 1076-255 bulbs from Starlights Inc. for my living and bathrooms. They went into the wall sconces, 2 per lamp in baths, 1 in each living room lamp. Also tried Starlights 1383-220 for the 2 bed room reading lamps. 1076s not enough light and color rendering index low. 1383s have enough light for reading but color has more yellow look than I would like. Not liking their bulbs very much, will use until I find better.
Put some bulbs from Superbriteleds in the 5 bulb lamp above the booth table (had #912) but still a work in progress as not where I want it.
I still like actual stores better for the most part.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
tm2go,

I think the difference could be that "justaroamer's" coach has the Intellitec multiplex system. If your coach doesn't have that it's probably like ours, with the "normal" switches (and by "normal" I mean the "old style" switches that are toggles, not the "new style normal" that are push-buttons for the multiplex system)... where the "dimmable" lights use a three-position switch for "Hi/Off/Lo". With these switches, the "Lo" is actually providing 6V to the bulb instead of 12V... and LED lights don't dim that way. They usually just won't operate at that low of a voltage.

The Intellitec systems have a module in them that "dims" the bulbs by performing a modulation on the frequency of the electricity... which, for LEDs, results in dimming them.

If you DO have the "normal" light switches, it's good to know that Newmar's LED bulbs work with the 6V input and actually dim. I've been resisting upgrading the puck lights to LED because I didn't want to either (a) lose the dimming feature or (b) have to re-do wiring, etc in order to put in LED-friendly dimming switches, etc.

Maybe Newmar's LEDs include circuitry that knows what to do with the 6V input power?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #9

Yes, the Newmar bulbs work on the 6 volt side for the low setting. Not exact "light" as halogen but works for me. Maybe try just one on a circuit that only works one puck and if don't like it not a major loss. If more than one puck is turned on or off with same switch, all on that circuit must be done at same time to work on low. 54 or 56 in my MAPD (can't recall) and all work fine for me.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbounders View Post
tm2go,

I think the difference could be that "justaroamer's" coach has the Intellitec multiplex system. If your coach doesn't have that it's probably like ours, with the "normal" switches (and by "normal" I mean the "old style" switches that are toggles, not the "new style normal" that are push-buttons for the multiplex system)... where the "dimmable" lights use a three-position switch for "Hi/Off/Lo". With these switches, the "Lo" is actually providing 6V to the bulb instead of 12V... and LED lights don't dim that way. They usually just won't operate at that low of a voltage.

The Intellitec systems have a module in them that "dims" the bulbs by performing a modulation on the frequency of the electricity... which, for LEDs, results in dimming them.

If you DO have the "normal" light switches, it's good to know that Newmar's LED bulbs work with the 6V input and actually dim. I've been resisting upgrading the puck lights to LED because I didn't want to either (a) lose the dimming feature or (b) have to re-do wiring, etc in order to put in LED-friendly dimming switches, etc.

Maybe Newmar's LEDs include circuitry that knows what to do with the 6V input power?
Yes, mine are the "normal" 3 position switches, same as yours.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
LED "Pucks" for under counter lighting on '13 DS

I ordered three LED "pucks" this morning from Bill Banks at Newmar -- each has one LED light, fixture with wiring. Each was $21 and change including shipping.

We plan to install two of them under the main bath cabinet and one under the mid-coach cabinet. Both sets will be wired to the same switch which operates the light fixtures above the mirror.

Thanks to Steve Morrison who got and installed the same arrangement and has done a fabulous install as documented on the Newmar Owners' Forum under the thread "Our 2103 Dutch Star".

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2020 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 / Freightliner with DriveTech / All Electric / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We replaced all our puck lights with 1109ww bought off amazon. we couldnt be happier. We put themin our 2012 4346.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tm2go View Post
Yes, the Newmar bulbs work on the 6 volt side for the low setting. Not exact "light" as halogen but works for me. Maybe try just one on a circuit that only works one puck and if don't like it not a major loss. If more than one puck is turned on or off with same switch, all on that circuit must be done at same time to work on low. 54 or 56 in my MAPD (can't recall) and all work fine for me.
Good to know... thanks for the response!

Question: when you say "Not the exact 'light' as halogen"... are you referring to the brightness, color, or both? I hate LED lighting that's too blue/cold... would you say the Newmar units are that way? Or are they more of a yellow/warm white?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #14

I bought 20 from the same company as nwokhunter. The brightness is the same as my halogens, but they're not as warm in color. However they are not so white they're unpleasant. I ordered the warmest color they had in a 140 lumen.

I ordered those first because of the number of members recommending them. Wheelingit's blog was one of those reviews that helped the most: Boondocking Made Easy -> LED Lighting | Wheeling It

Next, I just ordered 20 from ebay to try. They were a 1/3 the cost of the first 20. So we'll see if they're the same.

Then I'm going to try some from the place justaroamer (thanks for the research) recommends.

The only bulbs I'm having trouble finding a matching output in are the 921 used in our vanity cabinets, wall sconces and basement lights. Looking 250 lumen, so far all I've found cost $23 a piece.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote