Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #1

LED bulb source

We have a 2003 KSDP with the inset ceiling lights above the couch. I want to replace the little halogen bulb with led and it must fit inside the concave reflector. Then the screw on cover goes over it (diffuser?). I tried the circular led with side pin but it was too large.

What source would have something that would fit?

Ron
rrodda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #2

This site does a very good job. Just e-mail the owner and tell him what you want to replace and if it is indoor or outdoor. He will recommend the proper led.

He also provides a fair amount of lighting information so tour the sight even if you elect to use another supplier.

M4 Products

I still prefer std lighting but am gradually phasing over to led's.
Bill-MACV21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Spartan Chassis
I did my boat with marinebeam products. The quality was so good, I did the rv with them as well.
vonkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I second the M4 recommendation. I replaced all of the halogen puck lights in my RV with these smaller disk-style LEDs:
Elite Series Retrofit LED to replace Small 10w G4 / T3 Halogen
They come in three different temperatures/colors: warm white (the link above), "natural" white (whiter, more like daylight) and "cool" white (bluish cast). When I ordered, I used the "RVgeeks5" discount code and saved 5% (every little bit helps, right?!?!).

The only downside is the fact that my Newmar has the 3-position (Lo-Off-Hi) switches for the halogens: high is 12V, middle is off, and down is 6V. Because LEDs need a PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) dimmer that supplies modulated 12V power to dim the LED, this setup doesn't work the way you'd expect. In my coach, the LEDs still come on at full power with the 6V "Lo" setting of the switch... so the switch is now On-Off-On, instead of Lo-Off-Hi. So just be aware.

Have fun with the upgrade! I'm thrilled with having almost everything upgraded now. Virtually NO power draw... and virtually no heat generated!
Old 06-07-2015, 07:06 PM   #5

Ebay is another great source for LED's ,at 70 % done with mine, just need to do the odd ones.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Ebay is a great resource but I do like Amazon more for a few reasons. Namely, if you are a PRIME member, you can get 2 day free shipping and most importantly I do like the return policy of Amazon.

The disc shaped ones will fit, you just have to be patient. I have even bent the pins a bit to make it easier to insert. They give off very little heat so if they are touching it make little difference. The bulb shaped LED's will rely more on the refelctor and I found them to not give off as good a light, where as the disc shaped threw the light "downward".

I typically, order a small batch of what I think would be a good replacement and then install them. I then let them run for at least 24hours to see if they will fail. You would be surprised at how many do. I have found this supplier to have good product. They are well priced and are pretty close to what the halogens produce. The 3watt throw a few more lumens so I have used in ceiling pots along the main walk way and 1.5 in other areas I want softer light.

I am for the most part complete in changing my entire unit over to LED, including exterior lighting such as patio lighting, driving lights, signals and markers. I have been described as a little bit obsessed with lights by the family here lol

Tags
led