Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2022, 08:07 AM   #85

Oh boy, another little piece of equipment to make our lives complicated :-}.
Well, I ordered some Fahren 9006 LED bulbs and will install them and adjust as necessary (with before and after pictures). Then I will decide if I made a horrible, irresponsible choice or not. Wish me luck.
Thomas
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2022, 08:43 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Excellent post. There is no such thing as an led bulb for a halogen assembly that provides proper cut off and distribution.

There are indexable bulbs that will minimize the pattern by sacrificing usable lighting
You end up with a brighter pattern directly in front of your vehicle that actually works against you as it is creating even darker spots in front and to the sides.

There is no substitute for doing things properly when it comes to led headlights.

You should put facts on here not opinions. I put facts that work. I have installed LEDs on many vehicles and they do work well when adjusted properly. Many older RVs do not have aftermarket led assemblies available. They can get good safe light using LED retrofit bulbs. Not everyone has or wants to spend 400+ on an LED upgrade. The only one saying it has to be done that way are the companies making them, and they convince people theirs is the only way. Gotta think for yourself.
richardkronz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 08:45 PM   #87

I think you will be pleased with your purchase.
Old 09-28-2022, 08:49 PM   #88

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardkronz View Post
You should put facts on here not opinions. I put facts that work. I have installed LEDs on many vehicles and they do work well when adjusted properly. Many older RVs do not have aftermarket led assemblies available. They can get good safe light using LED retrofit bulbs. Not everyone has or wants to spend 400+ on an LED upgrade. The only one saying it has to be done that way are the companies making them, and they convince people theirs is the only way. Gotta think for yourself.
How about you show a DOT approved led bulb that can go into a halogen housing and maintain the exact same cut off as the oem.

My detailed examples earlier show the exacting process required for a retrofit to ensure proper lighting.

Recap of the facts:
Original lamp
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220313_144749.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	377535

Retrofit with led assembly. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220313_181620.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	377536

Notice the exact cutoff.

Name:	20220313_181821.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	377537

Show me ***any*** led bulb swap that can accomplish this in a halogen housing.
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:53 AM   #89

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Excellent post. There is no such thing as an led bulb for a halogen assembly that provides proper cut off and distribution.

There are indexable bulbs that will minimize the pattern by sacrificing usable lighting
You end up with a brighter pattern directly in front of your vehicle that actually works against you as it is creating even darker spots in front and to the sides. .

Red, can you explain how a brighter bulb creates even darker spots and what you mean by cutoff? Also in the picture showing the two bulbs, how far away from the door was the lights? Thank you.
I put led bulbs in my stock headlights, I have significantly further sight and haven’t been flashed like I was driving with high beams on. With the stock bulbs, 50 mph was the limit at which I could safely see. I haven’t been able to find a led version of the headlights to install.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:13 AM   #90

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Red, can you explain how a brighter bulb creates even darker spots and what you mean by cutoff?
With improper lighting patterns, a Hotspot can be created directly in front of your coach. This does not reach far down the road but is directly in front of you. It blinds you to the areas that you normally would see with properly aimed and formed light patterns, similar to snow blinding.

This is the most common result with led bulb swaps.

Look at my earlier pictures before and after. I was standing in the same spot. See how much more was illuminated around the periphery, including directly in front and below. The hot spot still remains where the halogen Hotspot was, so distant vision is not adversely affected, but rather increased.

The only true way to test is to mark your patterns before and observe them after.

Quote:
Also in the picture showing the two bulbs, how far away from the door was the lights? Thank you.
I was 20 ft back from the wall.

Name:	20220313_141911.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	377549Click image for larger version

Name:	20220313_141903.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	377548

Here is a video of the stand I made for testing.
https://youtu.be/SAAR_sZOU9o

This could be done with the vehicle, and would be easier. I did this work prior to having my coach.

Name:	20220314_142639.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	377550
Old 09-29-2022, 07:33 PM   #91

We have a 2020 Ventana and installed Headlight Revolution LEDs for the few times we ever drive at night, which is never planned. Only if we get delayed. We try to get off the road before dark. But the few time we have driven in the dark, they are a big help, especially when turning into a campground. Our stock bulb gave us ZERO visibility on the sides when turning.

Not sure how you can reference DOT requirements when the DOT listing applies only to the passenger vehicle that the headlight assembly was made for.

Keeping it simple and adding Headlight Revolution LEDs was the choice for us and these guys know what they are doing.

The great LED debate will go on and on forever, same as Boogey Lights VS Star Gazing.
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 02:30 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Red, can you explain how a brighter bulb creates even darker spots and what you mean by cutoff? Also in the picture showing the two bulbs, how far away from the door was the lights? Thank you.
I put led bulbs in my stock headlights, I have significantly further sight and haven’t been flashed like I was driving with high beams on. With the stock bulbs, 50 mph was the limit at which I could safely see. I haven’t been able to find a led version of the headlights to install.
Hopefully your headlight bezels are adjustable and you can bring the beam down and possibly to the right a little bit so it doesn't blind other drivers. This really isn't rocket science and some people on here are making it way more difficult than it has to be.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:37 AM   #93

Quote:
How about you show a DOT approved led bulb that can go into a halogen housing and maintain the exact same cut off as the oem.

My detailed examples earlier show the exacting process required for a retrofit to ensure proper lighting.

Recap of the facts:
Original lamp
Attachment 377535

Retrofit with led assembly. Attachment 377536

Notice the exact cutoff.
Attachment 377537

Show me ***any*** led bulb swap that can accomplish this in a halogen housing.

In my 30 plus years of working on vehicles I have never seen a bulb make a headlight pattern like you have in that picture. Not halogen, not hid, and not led. I don't know what you have there but bulbs don't have a cut off like that. It's too drastic in your pictures. With a little adjustment and led can successfully provide more light and not blind other drivers. You're getting way too far in the weeds with this. Maybe you work for headlight revolution! LOL
Old 09-30-2022, 07:23 AM   #94

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
In my 30 plus years of working on vehicles I have never seen a bulb make a headlight pattern like you have in that picture. Not halogen, not hid, and not led. I don't know what you have there but bulbs don't have a cut off like that. It's too drastic in your pictures. With a little adjustment and led can successfully provide more light and not blind other drivers. You're getting way too far in the weeds with this.
The pattern I have matches the original pattern, including the cuttoff. That is the tape line that it is matching to. The halogen is not as bright, nor is the cut off as sharp, but the light pattern is the same.

All DOT approved lights have a cutoff. For the US, the pattern is lower on the left and then center it raises higher to give you distance.

Any good LED reflector will have this type of pattern, except for BMW which will have a far more advanced and dynamic pattern.

Without the pattern, you are a danger on the road and blinding other drivers.

Here is a video showing the cutoff in detail of the factory halogen lights, where I made my tape marks prior to upgrade.
https://youtu.be/ksnwLYILRuM

Quote:
Maybe you work for headlight revolution! LOL
Absoulelty not. That company sells the exact crap that I am telling everyone to stay clear of. It is just LED bulb replacements that are dangerous to everyone. Pure junk.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:50 AM   #95

Quote:
In my 30 plus years of working on vehicles I have never seen a bulb make a headlight pattern like you have in that picture. Not halogen, not hid, and not led. I don't know what you have there but bulbs don't have a cut off like that. It's too drastic in your pictures. With a little adjustment and led can successfully provide more light and not blind other drivers. You're getting way too far in the weeds with this. Maybe you work for headlight revolution! LOL
Its nothing that Red is doing special. Led headlight assemblies have a cut off.
My wifes Range Rover and daughters Explorer, both with factory Led, have this cutoff that is really visible at 20-25ft, especially when pulling into the garage.

We also did the LED upgrade on our 22' LA, exactly the way Red did but I had the assemblies modified by a headlight pro then did the installation myself.

One of the best upgrades I ever spent money on.
NewmarDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 04:24 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewmarDave View Post
Its nothing that Red is doing special. Led headlight assemblies have a cut off.
My wifes Range Rover and daughters Explorer, both with factory Led, have this cutoff that is really visible at 20-25ft, especially when pulling into the garage.

We also did the LED upgrade on our 22' LA, exactly the way Red did but I had the assemblies modified by a headlight pro then did the installation myself.

One of the best upgrades I ever spent money on.
I understand the cutoff thing, but my point is there are a lot of LED bulbs out there that are made to mimic the halogens, and with adjustment will work very very well and not blind other drivers. No need to buy assemblies, if they are even available for older vehicles. Have you been blinded by the newer Ford pickup headlights? Those things are crazy and that is the way they are made. Apparently the OEM doesnt follow the rigid guidelines being described in this post so gimme a break. Dont tell people the aftermarket bulbs wont work, when they can work better than OEM and provide a much safer drive. If I had only done 1 or 2 vehicles I wouldnt comment on this post, but I have done over 20 at this point, with only 1 needing a second adjustment after install.
Old 10-01-2022, 05:15 AM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I understand the cutoff thing, but my point is there are a lot of LED bulbs out there that are made to mimic the halogens, and with adjustment will work very very well and not blind other drivers. No need to buy assemblies, if they are even available for older vehicles. Have you been blinded by the newer Ford pickup headlights? Those things are crazy and that is the way they are made. Apparently the OEM doesnt follow the rigid guidelines being described in this post so gimme a break. Dont tell people the aftermarket bulbs wont work, when they can work better than OEM and provide a much safer drive. If I had only done 1 or 2 vehicles I wouldnt comment on this post, but I have done over 20 at this point, with only 1 needing a second adjustment after install.

Older RV's have many styles of head lamps..many are car or truck retros repurposed for RV or a rv made unit.. many have the common 9006 bulb that had been copied buy all.. originally being incandescent, then halogen, spun off into HID , Xenon and now LED..

Fact RV lighting stinks in general,, some bulb upgrades help alot and many times adjustment is overlooked,,

In my older C class, I got updated repacement lamp assemplies, improved pattern was advertised.. I also added higher value white bulbs not LED.
The pattern seems a tad odd as being wider with a distinct side cut off that enhances guard rail view.. highbeams are way way better deep center..

So I lucked out,, in use, I happy, did PA to AZ, PA to IA, PA to FL this year,, NO issues seeing and no on comming flashes back at me,,

Good luck, remeber a fine tune adjustment will make even the new leds better in most cases
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 05:19 AM   #98

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
RichardK,
Agree 100% on the new Ford pickup stacked headlights being blinding. The cut off must be 10 feet over my head.

Tags
headlight, led, light, upgrade