Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2021, 11:25 AM   #29

DO it the way YOUR Owners Manual for YOUR Brand/Model of RV

Simple......

Don't agree/question procedure------call MFG and inquire

Once again----Simple!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 12:33 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Here is what Newmar sent me...

For years I have dumped, leveled, and ran out the slides.( on our second Newmar coach). At Nappanee, this past November, I watched then asked my service tech; ( guy been working for Newmar 23 years).
He said1. leave aired up at ride height 2. Check the reveal, if clear 3. Run the slides out 4. Dump and level.

His comment was; the closest tolerance on the slide is the reveal clearance. You have several inches for things to shift and move once you clear the reveal. If you are at a bad or un level site. Pay attention to the reveal. Run it out just an inch or two to clear the side wall, then dump and level, and then run it the rest of the way out. And reverse that coming in. Run it in, leaving it out that last couple of inches. Then retract the jacks, run up the air to ride height before retracting that last two inches.

I had not thought about the reveal clearance issue, makes a lot sense.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:54 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Here is what Newmar sent me...

For years I have dumped, leveled, and ran out the slides.( on our second Newmar coach). At Nappanee, this past November, I watched then asked my service tech; ( guy been working for Newmar 23 years).
He said1. leave aired up at ride height 2. Check the reveal, if clear 3. Run the slides out 4. Dump and level.

His comment was; the closest tolerance on the slide is the reveal clearance. You have several inches for things to shift and move once you clear the reveal. If you are at a bad or un level site. Pay attention to the reveal. Run it out just an inch or two to clear the side wall, then dump and level, and then run it the rest of the way out. And reverse that coming in. Run it in, leaving it out that last couple of inches. Then retract the jacks, run up the air to ride height before retracting that last two inches.

I had not thought about the reveal clearance issue, makes a lot sense.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:06 PM   #32

Quote:
I ask about 2017 Ventana so I don't know what years it applies to other than 2017. I called because reading the manual I thought slides out jacks down was error but was quickly informed that the manual was correct.
Its hard to tell from the wording of that memo. My manual says level, then put out the slides. But if they changed the way they think about it......
Old 05-13-2021, 06:56 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by krpowers54 View Post
I'm also relatively new to forums. I did search this subject prior to adding a new thread but apparently didn't use the proper terminology.

Thanks to everyone for the input and explanations. Gaps 1st, Slide 2nd, Level 3rd. Now - I only have one more question. As recommended by Newmar and many of you, I should check the gaps. What are we supposed to do if the gaps are not even? Have any of you experienced this? If so - what did you do?

Thanks again, folks.
Well, that would indicate that the rig is on an unlevel area. So, you could repark, find a new campsite, OR use the levelers to untwist the chassis.
Note in my post the need is to ensure the back is level and the front is level. If so, then the coach isn't twisted.

I added electronic sensors front and back and an intuitive user interface at the drivers station to monitor progress of "leveling". I guess the next step would be to auto level / untwist...

Others use a level on the floor. You can also view the rig to see which leg needs to raise. Or examine the gaps to see which direction the opening is twisted and then use the levelers to compensate.

Just ensure the gaps are even before moving the slides.

The above is why the owner's manuals differ and don't really address your question. Because it isn't "easy" the way the rigs are designed.

The other point is "Ok, I have the slides out. Overnight the leg on one corner sank in the ground. And because the slide is out, I can't see the reveal to determine if the opening is square before moving the slides closed. Now what?" Judgement call...use the levelers to untwist, or gamble and bring the slides in, or move the slides in most of the way and drive the rig slowly to level and then fully close them (close the reveal).
Old 05-16-2021, 03:44 PM   #34

American Coach Owners Club
Do what the manufacturer says

I’ve been down this road too, and agree with your logic, but what I’ve learned is each manufacturer wants you to follow their instructions for a reason. If Newmar says slides out then level, then do it that way.
dukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:56 PM   #35

Leveling

We have a 2017 Dutch Star. My thinking on leveling is as follows: If the site is fairly level I don’t mind putting out the slides prior to activating the automatic levelers. Otherwise I do the levelers first. Either way you can tweak the level manually after done with leveling. A quick check is how the entrance door shuts. It is very fussy if the bus is not perfectly level.
mebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 04:04 PM   #36

Dumb question, what if the reveal isn’t square or even?
Sell it on the spot?
Plumberpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:20 PM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
We asked this question when in Red Bay at Tiffin (2021 Allegro Red). The guy in the mechanics bay told us to level, then put the slides out, then hit autolevel again for it to make any needed adjustments. The reasoning for this is once the slides are out your weight distribution has changed (the rig is now wider) and possibly the level position. We've done it this way since he told us this (about a month ago) and we have only seen minor adjusting to the level, but not all the time; sometimes it just sits where it was without making additional adjustments. We never saw any major changes other than no more creaking from the leveling jacks.
Little Guy Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel_Lodge View Post
We asked this question when in Red Bay at Tiffin (2021 Allegro Red). The guy in the mechanics bay told us to level, then put the slides out, then hit autolevel again for it to make any needed adjustments. The reasoning for this is once the slides are out your weight distribution has changed (the rig is now wider) and possibly the level position. We've done it this way since he told us this (about a month ago) and we have only seen minor adjusting to the level, but not all the time; sometimes it just sits where it was without making additional adjustments. We never saw any major changes other than no more creaking from the leveling jacks.
Different manufacturer = Different procedure
M&G Braking-Roadmaster Towbar
mbrooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel_Lodge View Post

Sorry but the original poster has a Newmar DS it's different from the Allegro Red.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:30 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Just in case it helps, here are a few tips I've learned in the six months or so now that I've had my 2019 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan.

1) Pull into site and get situated, but leave engine running (so air stays fully inflated).

2) Get out and check gaps, and also check clearance for the slides (e.g., that you're not going to hit the electric pole).

3) Extend the slides: full wall slide first, then passenger-side slide, then bedroom. In my opinion, with the engine still running (and hence supplying roughly 14 volts to batteries), there is no need to plug in to shore power (or start generator) before deploying slides.

4) Once slides deployed, shut off engine, and auto-level.

5) In my experience, given the weight of the full wall slide, after an hour or so I often find that the driver side has "sunk" a bit, so I just hit auto-level again and it adjusts slightly.

6) When leaving campsite, reverse: start by auto-store/un-level, then start engine. And here's a key tip: you need to wait as much as a few minutes after starting the engine for the air bags to get completely re-inflated. In my case, the last thing to come up is the full wall slide side, and it doesn't happen until the *secondary* air bag gauge gets up to 130 - 140 PSI. Be patient! If you want you can go outside and watch the gap between the front tire and the wheel well, and you'll see that gap on the full wall slide side be the last thing to open up. You should also here the pressure release valve go "whoosh" at the rear of the RV when the air-up is fully finished.

7) Once fully aired up, pull in the slides. Full wall slide first, then kitchen, then bedroom (probably really doesn't matter the order, but that's the order I do it).

Hope this helps!

Tom
sartor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:42 PM   #41

I had this debate with myself. I lost to the manual FR which says level first. I think RV’s have different instructions dependent on the slide mechanism type. My advice is follow the manual!
Rick3390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:44 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krpowers54 View Post
Hello all. A lot of firsts for me this year - Retired, purchased 2020 Dutch Star 4081 and 1st post to irv2.

In previous mh, I always leveled prior to putting slides out. In the DS owner's manual, they say to do just the opposite. I'm trying to look at this logically. It seems to me that there would be a lot less stress on slide-out mechanisms if they are extended/retracted when level. I think of retracting old style awnings. If the rv isn't level, it seems to favor one side or another and doesn't mesh evenly with the support bars.

On the other hand, I realize that leveling after slide-outs are extended would make for a more level final product. However, I'm more inclined to lean on less stress than the bubble being a little off-center.

Any thoughts? Thanks much!
Ken
We bought a 2017 Dutch Star 4018 with factory pickup. Our tech said when arriving slides out then level. When leaving, air up, jacks up, slides in. The reason is that the Newmar factory adjusts the slides with air bags full and jacks up.

Bill Bélanger
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide