Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2021, 10:11 PM   #43
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
OMG.....This train is off the tracks!! Some are making this sooooo difficult. This isn't the Forest River or Tiffin forum. I've had a 2014 Dutch Star and now a 2019 Dutch Star. I've gone outside and checked the gaps twice in 5 years of ownership of the 2014 and have NEVER checked the gaps on the 2019 DS.

To start, the older FWS slides, the ones that are not chain/hydraulic, you can simply look at the slide lock at the front of the FWs slide and note the position of the lock, between the two screws that hold the rubber stop on. If they're centered or within an 1/8" either way, the slide is "gapped" appropriately. Twice I saw mine was quite a bit off and had to adjust the coach position.

On my 2019 DS, my slides have never moved within the opening, and mine gets beat to death on California roads. I know the slides on pre 2019 Dutch Stars won't open with the engine running, but if I owned a pre 2019, I would follow a recent post and change that. For those that think plugging in is helping, it doesn't, unless you physically wait and check to see that the ENGINE batteries are bridged and being charged. Many don't even know what that means or how to check. With the engine running, your getting 13.6 to 14.1 volts tp the slide motors.

Leveling first with a full wall slide makes NO SENSE, as the sheer weight of the slide will change the level. With the coach aired up, put out the slides and then use the Auto Level. For those that try to manually level, you're missing an important feature of the Auto Level. Once Auto Level gets done, it checks that all jacks are down and making contact. If yours doesn't get the coach level, adjust the level on the system.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 04:06 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to the forum! We asked the same question to our service tech at the Newmar Service Center when we were there a few months ago. He told us “First check the reveals on the outside, if ok you can put the slides out then level the coach”
Sagebrushcyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:12 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Sorry but the original poster has a Newmar DS it's different from the Allegro Red.
Just trying to help
Travel_Lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:01 AM   #46

We extend the slides and then level - Just my opinion, but it is probably more important when getting ready to leave - we lift the jacks and then bring in the slides.
ggventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:36 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumberpilot View Post
Dumb question, what if the reveal isn’t square or even?
Sell it on the spot?

Pull out you NEWMAR manual and read what to do if you can't get the reveal gaps correct and the manual has the corrective action. Now if you don't have a NEWMAR follow the instructions in your manufacture instructions. You could also read the post on this thread because it posted several times what to do if the reveal is uneven. Either Way!!!
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #48

Newmar has a different process and a reason when the coach has a full length slide. As for the reason and if that applies to your rig, I don't know.

What I do know is the cockpit driver side window has a sticker with the name and contact info for the model rep at Newmar. I have talked & emailed mine several times and he is very helpful. Use the resource to your advantage.

Since this is a "one-off" process that seems unique to Newmar, they probably have the best answer.
mark2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:20 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
OMG.....This train is off the tracks!! Some are making this sooooo difficult. This isn't the Forest River or Tiffin forum. I've had a 2014 Dutch Star and now a 2019 Dutch Star. I've gone outside and checked the gaps twice in 5 years of ownership of the 2014 and have NEVER checked the gaps on the 2019 DS.

To start, the older FWS slides, the ones that are not chain/hydraulic, you can simply look at the slide lock at the front of the FWs slide and note the position of the lock, between the two screws that hold the rubber stop on. If they're centered or within an 1/8" either way, the slide is "gapped" appropriately. Twice I saw mine was quite a bit off and had to adjust the coach position.

On my 2019 DS, my slides have never moved within the opening, and mine gets beat to death on California roads. I know the slides on pre 2019 Dutch Stars won't open with the engine running, but if I owned a pre 2019, I would follow a recent post and change that. For those that think plugging in is helping, it doesn't, unless you physically wait and check to see that the ENGINE batteries are bridged and being charged. Many don't even know what that means or how to check. With the engine running, your getting 13.6 to 14.1 volts tp the slide motors.

Leveling first with a full wall slide makes NO SENSE, as the sheer weight of the slide will change the level. With the coach aired up, put out the slides and then use the Auto Level. For those that try to manually level, you're missing an important feature of the Auto Level. Once Auto Level gets done, it checks that all jacks are down and making contact. If yours doesn't get the coach level, adjust the level on the system.
100% Thank you Dutch Star Don for telling it the way it is.
Old 05-17-2021, 12:30 PM   #50

i GUESS THIS SUBJECT HAS BEEN MORE THAN COVERED. MY 2C IS ON MY ALPINE 38' YOU CAN'T MOVE THE SLIDS UNTIL THE COACH IS LEVEL. I HAVE TO SAY I HAVEN'T CHECKED THE MANUAL BUT WILL KNOW
Jim Albert Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:44 PM   #51

Well they built it so I guess they have a good reason for saying extend then level but I can't quiet put my head around that one. Did you read it twice?
johnmontgome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:15 PM   #52

Do what the mother ship, Newmar, recommends. They built it and warranty it. They argue that each unit is built with the ride at standard height and slides should be operated as built. My air suspension has been "adjusted" from the as-built configuration and I still follow the Newmar protocol.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:47 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmontgome View Post
Well they built it so I guess they have a good reason for saying extend then level but I can't quiet put my head around that one. Did you read it twice?
For most reasonably level parking spots, the air bags are "softer" / compliant and allow the chassis to remain untwisted (it's natural state as that's how it was welded at the plant) even if there is a little difference in height from tire to tire. When the chassis is straight, then the slide opening is square. When the opening is square, the reveals are parallel. When parallel, the slide moves in / out without interference and all is happy.

If the chassis is also level, then the motors on one side aren't trying to push the slide "uphill". So the motors are happy.

The challenge is when parked on a less level spot that at some point, the air bags won't take up the difference in tire height and the chassis will be twisted. Not happy. One then would need to either repark, or use the leveling jacks to attempt to get things level AND untwisted. So, check the reveals to ensure all is happy.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:52 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by augerdogger View Post
Do what the mother ship, Newmar, recommends. They built it and warranty it. They argue that each unit is built with the ride at standard height and slides should be operated as built. My air suspension has been "adjusted" from the as-built configuration and I still follow the Newmar protocol.
"Standard height" That has nothing to do with it - really.

The chassis just needs to be reasonably level AND untwisted (just like at the plant). The slides don't care about ride height.

Know that just because someone works at a place, doesn't mean they are expert with all aspects of the product.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:43 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

Well said!!
zman62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:49 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
Having said that, would you rather extend your rooms when the coach is least twisted or more twisted?
I would rather extend/retract my slides when the RV "house" (structure above the frame) is **level**. Why? Simply because the slides move in and out of the "house", not the frame.
fottip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide