Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2008, 02:25 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I have always leveled my coach first, and then put the slides out. I have always thought that was the correct procedure, and it makes sense to me. However, a recent post on the Monaco forum suggests that at least Monaco believes otherwise. Monaco Slides First Thread So question is, who puts their slides out first? And does anyone know what Newmars position is on the issue?
Thanks,
Alan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2008, 02:25 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have always leveled my coach first, and then put the slides out. I have always thought that was the correct procedure, and it makes sense to me. However, a recent post on the Monaco forum suggests that at least Monaco believes otherwise. Monaco Slides First Thread So question is, who puts their slides out first? And does anyone know what Newmars position is on the issue?
Thanks,
Alan
Old 10-16-2008, 02:54 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I simultaneously sent the question to Newmar customer service and received a pretty quick response. Still interested if anyone does it the Monaco way, but Newmar's response is:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Alan,
We would recommend leveling the coach first and then extending the slides. We have been approached with this question at the rallies we attend and this is what we recommend our customers do. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at 800-731-8300.
Thank you,
Brian Fuchs
Owner Relations Representative
800-731-8300
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-16-2008, 03:05 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
For whatever reason Monaco's recomended procedure for a good many of their coaches, do not know about all, is to extend the slides then level. I always figure that the manufacturer knows best, so follow their recommendations.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:07 AM   #5

I'd rather have those big, heavy slides moving with the coach leveled. I don't want them going uphill or cockeyed.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:19 AM   #6

Monaco definitely says slides then level.

Newmar Well any Dealer I have asked, and the Newmar literature says Level then Slides. BUT when I was at Nappanee this summer I asked 3 different Techs and 2 Leads and they ALL said slides then level!!!!

Their Theory was when they put the Slides in the Coaches the Jacks are NOT down.

However the Coaches are on a Level Concrete floor.

SO My take on this if you are on a Level site and or level concrete pad it really does not matter BUT
If you are on a noticeably unlevel site I would level first then Slides!!

Rick
Old 10-16-2008, 09:34 AM   #7

Our personal experience is that the coach needs to be level or the slide will start to scrape the wood floor in the kitchen.

We always do the following when setting up:

1. air down
2. jacks down
3. level coach
4. slide(s) out

When we leave, the process is in a slightly different order to prevent pinching the air bags.

1. slide(s) in
2. start coach and air up bags
3. shut off coach and retract jacks fully
4. re-start coach and proceed with final visual checks of everything before departing.

Just our $.02.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Slides out first, dump air, jacks down. Air up the suspension, jacks up then slides in. I think Monaco's approach from speaking with the techs is if the site is even slightly unlevel the jacks will tweak the frame however slightly to level the coach, which in turn could cause the slides to bind. So I use the approach in the Monaco manual. Personally I don't think there's much difference so it's probably best to follow your manufacturer's recommendation.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #9

Y'all don't forget that Monaco makes their own chassis so the underpinnings are different and perhaps requirements differ because of that. Also, Newmar's slide-out mechanism is their own, so not duplicated in the Monaco.

I think we should go by our manufacturer's recommendation and not try to make them like each other because they are not.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
It's funny... we always did the LEVEL first (being sure that no jacks were over-extended so that the chassis wasn't in a bind), THEN put the slides out, just like the manual recommended. On a couple of occasions, we ended up with the slides out of alignment and had to have a dealer correct them. We just assumed it was the normal "growing pains" of the new coach and that they'd settle down.

When we were at the factory in '06, we needed to have them re-align the curb-side, kitchen slide as it had gotten outta-whack again. Both the tech and our service writer said we should put slides out FIRST, THEN level the coach (when packing up, we air-up the bags, retract the jacks, then retract the slides). Since doing that (full-time, for the past 2 years) we have never again had the problem. Slides are right where they belong and have never needed to be adjusted again.

I agree that we were concerned about the issue of the slides having to go out when the coach wasn't level and, therefore, having to go up/down hill. But... in 2 years, they've never once even hesitated.

So... do what works for you. If you're not having any problems with your slides getting out of alignment by leveling first and then putting out your slides - more power to you and keep on keepin' on. But, if you constantly have to have your slides re-aligned by following the manual's instructions... try reversing things and see if that helps. It worked for us!
Old 10-17-2008, 08:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I now have a Monaco, but I`ve owned 2 Mountain Aires -- With the Newmars, I leveled, then slides -- The Monaco I now have, has air leveling, & I still level first, then slides -- I dislike starting the engine, getting to ride height, killing the engine, & then the slides --Monaco uses the 3 point jack system, & may be a different situation -- All my Newmars used 4 jacks -- After 25000 miles & numerous campgrounds, no problems yet-- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #12

A question for those of you who air up and then retract the jacks: do you leave the coach so you don't have to listen to the "jacks down" alarm?
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #13
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Sometimes.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
BCOOK57, No, the jack down alarm doesn't sound until you put the transmission in a gear on our coach. The TV antenna up, parking break engaged alarms also do not alarm until transmission is placed in gear.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote