Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 06:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Some issues with the answers you got. First, seven of them were from other brands that require their own method of deployment and retraction. Second, all but one were from diesel owners with air ride suspension, when your profile says you have a gas rig with leaf springs.

Newmar, on their diesel pushers is pretty adamant about slides out and then leveling on their newer coaches. Since I haven't had a gas coach in awhile, you need to see what Newmar wants done on your Bay Star with springs. I'm guessing it's still slides out and then leveling.

In 20 years of having coaches with jacks, I've never stored the coach with the jacks down as I personally don't want to expose the shafts that long unnecessarily. We do use ours all year long so the longest it might sit is 60-80 days. There have never been any adverse effects to the tires.

Lastly, I park my coach on concrete, so I keep truck mud flaps under each tire, as concrete will leach water. Many will argue it doesn't, but put a concrete block in a puddle, it will be soaked in a few minutes. Rather than argue the point, it costs me nothing to keep something under the tires.

Hey Don,
You are through, but I have a 2021 Canyon Star. It has a front engine diesel and rear air suspension. I'm not sure it will make any difference in level or slides first. This is our first RV and we wanted a toy hauler to carry my Gold Wing. It's going to be a great way to see this country.

I appreciate everyone that given their advice. I have a lot to learn and tried to read as much as possible on this forum. There's a lot of information on this site.
GWHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I guess you will have to take that up with Newmar because I have been told by two different techs at Newmar the information I gave above. Matter a fact the tech said that if they do get out alignment being on air bags will cause less damage then being on jacks. I guess you need to call Newmar and tell that them they are giving out bad information and give them the correct information.

From Newmar
What you posted and what Newmar states are two different things.
Bottom line: check the reveal. If not even, don't move the slide. Use the levelers to untwist the chassis and THEN move the slides when reveals are even. Most of the time, the reveal will be even when on air bags. That's because most of the time the road / ground is relatively flat.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Since that is a new model I would call Newmar. There should be a tag in your window with a phone number and persons name to call for tech support. I have called the number twice and they have been helpful both times. I believe information they give you is reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWHauler View Post
Hey Don,
You are through, but I have a 2021 Canyon Star. It has a front engine diesel and rear air suspension. I'm not sure it will make any difference in level or slides first. This is our first RV and we wanted a toy hauler to carry my Gold Wing. It's going to be a great way to see this country.

I appreciate everyone that given their advice. I have a lot to learn and tried to read as much as possible on this forum. There's a lot of information on this site.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
Like I said - you need to call customer support and explain to the techs on the floor and tech services that are they are putting out is incorrect and you are right.

Like I said above these are the reason I was given.

"When I asked why at the factory I was told two reasons. First one being the slide is installed and adjusted for proper operation when the coach is on air bags and not jacks. Two that the coach will flex while on the air bags and if the side catches it will cause less damage than when on jacks."

If those are incorrect you need to call and straighten them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
What you posted and what Newmar states are two different things.
Bottom line: check the reveal. If not even, don't move the slide. Use the levelers to untwist the chassis and THEN move the slides when reveals are even. Most of the time, the reveal will be even when on air bags. That's because most of the time the road / ground is relatively flat.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I will check with the manual. I was told to do slide outs first and the level. I didn't think that sounded correct.

I thought storing on pads, might be better on tires.
Since you have a Newmar, not sure what year, the net is it doesn’t really matter which comes first - level or extend, but what does matter is if the slides are in a position to extend when you press the extend switch.

Each slide has a “reveal” (actually two of them) which is the gap between the side of the slide and the main body of the motorhome. This is really important if you have a full wall slide. Before you hit the button walk around your unit and check this gap. If the gap extending from top to bottom good, as in not pinched or extremely tight, you are good to go. Leveling can cause the “gap” to close up as depending on the site, the frame can twist a bit. So get out and check, do not assume if you unit says it’s level, that all is good.

From Newmar....

In the past, Newmar has recommended leveling the coach prior to deploying the slideouts. As of 2015, Newmar makes the following recommendation for the extension and retracting of slideouts.
Motorhomes, as all vehicles, flex in travel. Flexing may be different due to terrain and the coach’s fulcrums (resting on tires or jacks). As the coach flexes, this movement is more noticeable in the outside reveal on a wider slideout.
BEFORE EXTENDING THE SLIDEOUTS
1. Park the coach on a reasonably level campsite.
2. Leave the coach at ride-height with air in the air bags (if equipped with air suspension) or on normal suspension
(coaches without air suspension).
3. Plug the coach into shore power (if available) or start the generator to increase the voltage for better slideout
operation.
4. Look at the “reveal” or “gap” of the two vertical wall trims around the slideouts to make sure there is plenty of
clearance so the trim will not rub when extending the slideout. If the gap looks good, then the slideout can be operated. Note: Most often the gap will look best when sitting on the tires with the air suspension inflated (at ride- height), and not on the jacks.
5. Verify that the path of the slideout is unobstructed and free from any surrounding objects, both inside and outside of the coach.
6. Once the appropriate conditions are met, follow the operating instructions posted in your coach to extend the slideouts.
7. Deploy the leveling jacks.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:02 AM   #34

Let me put the down for a second and reply I go by the manual on mine and reading the question about him leaving out for a while...Not sure if in doors or out but I have to have my slides out at least the main one due to not letting mice in...
When I have my main front slide in mice can get in the coach and when not in they sneak under the rollers...Just saying per the post...Jay
Old 11-29-2020, 03:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
If the gaps are not even, then don't move the slides. Use the levelers to untwist the coach body. The problem is most leveling systems only have one sensor to determine level (usually in the front). Without having one also in the back, then the system really doesn't know if it's "level" on all four corners (ie: chassis is not twisted).

BTW, this thread has been repeated several times a year across many years. Nothing has changed. I wish the OP would use search before starting a clone thread yet again.
Well, I don't agree, if this tread hadn't been posted I would not have read it with great interest. Scroll on.
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #36

I was at a dealer recently, noticed several units with slides out but jacks up - I asked why and they said "In the summer, they will sink in the asphalt. This used to be a car sales lot. We will be moving to a new location next year, we made sure it's being built with higher capacity concrete."
Old 11-29-2020, 04:05 PM   #37

Freightliner Owners Club
level first or slide first?

If your coach is visibly tilted, extending the uphill slide put extra strain on the slide mechanism and it may be unable to fully extend the slide. On the downhill side. the slide will extend, but it may not retract for travel.

On my coach, the slide controller relies on an increase in power draw to know when the slide is at the end of its travel and cuts the power. If the rig is not level, the excess power required to move a slide uphill makes the controller think it is either all in or all out.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Do you level first our put slide outs first? Does it really matter?

If you were going to store RV for a month, would you store on tires or pads?
Thanks
I have been leveling first and then putting the slides out for 16 years on my 04 Fleetwood Expedition and have had no problems. I store my RV leveled, with the tires on plywood on a cement pad in my backyard.

Best to check your owner manual.
NoSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:09 PM   #39

RTFM as in read the factory manual. Some manufacturers recommend you level first and the slide. Others recommend you slide and then level. Yes we storied on pads.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Always store rv tires on boards. It keeps them from drawing moisture from the ground or concrete. If you are unfortunately storing outside, I would even cover the whole side of the tires too to help with the UV’s. Best would prolly have the tires totally off the ground/floor
Old 11-29-2020, 05:18 PM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSlack View Post
I have been leveling first and then putting the slides out for 16 years on my 04 Fleetwood Expedition and have had no problems. I store my RV leveled, with the tires on plywood on a cement pad in my backyard.

Best to check your owner manual.

I had a Fleetwood and the manual says to level then extend slides but the Newmar says to extend slides then level. Just depends on your manufacture.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:24 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like others have said check you manual and/or call your manufacturer. I did. Winnebago even called me back to make sure I understood. Level on the jacks first then put the slides out. The coach is a 18,000 GVWR gasser with a full body slide. The concern is twisting of the frame causing that slide to bind & jam.

Interesting info about storage & tires. I hadn't read that before.

Thanks to a couple of depressions, I learned to put pads under the jacks when on our asphalt driveway.
permitwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out