Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #1

Level or slide outs first

Do you level first our put slide outs first? Does it really matter?

If you were going to store RV for a month, would you store on tires or pads?
Thanks
GWHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2020, 06:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On the slides out question, follow your manual. Different models different order.
Mine sets on its jacks in storage.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:46 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My manual specifically says slide out extended at ride height. Then level, but I do have air levelling so that may be specific to my coach.

When stored it is on the ground, unless in an area with soft ground then on boards big enough to keep me from sinking.

These are my procedures and work for me.

Each person has there own specific wants and expectations.

Terry
96Bounder1st is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWHauler View Post
Do you level first our put slide outs first? Does it really matter?

Both will work - but if you think about it for a minute it might be clear as to what and why - if the frame is level and Not torqued either will work - but the issue is if the leveling system screws up and it thinks it is level , but not, then when the Big slide - one with the level floor goes out, or in, if the frame is torqued there is a good chance it will bind up - Not Good! So to solve that issue many/some manufactures suggest or direct you to open the slides when the coach is aired up - which most of the time is means there is very little/no chance for the frame to be Torqued.

So there you go - if the frame is level - the slide outs will go in and out with no Problem - either way. JMHO.

If you were going to store RV for a month, would you store on tires or pads?

Same answer - both work - just depends on you - no right or wrong one on this.

Thanks
Hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 07:33 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
The manual for our ‘04 Itasca Sunrise specifically states that the coach should be leveled before deploying the slides, then adjust the leveling if required.

We always store ours leveled on the jacks. No reason other than it sits on a pad in our driveway and we sometimes deploy the slides to get to the wardrobe in the bedroom.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:10 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And mine is the opposite, slides out then level. Thats why I said check your manual for your coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryF View Post
The manual for our ‘04 Itasca Sunrise specifically states that the coach should be leveled before deploying the slides, then adjust the leveling if required.

We always store ours leveled on the jacks. No reason other than it sits on a pad in our driveway and we sometimes deploy the slides to get to the wardrobe in the bedroom.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:26 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I will check with the manual. I was told to do slide outs first and the level. I didn't think that sounded correct.

I thought storing on pads, might be better on tires.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:28 PM   #8

Common sense would say to level your rig first before extending the slides. Taken to an extreme, if the rig were parked where the frame were severely twisted, then the slide could bind when being extended. The same goes for long term parking, putting down boards just keeps the tires from contacting the ground and eventually sinking in.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #9

It would be stored on a concrete pad, so sinking is not an issue. I just thought it might be better on suspension and tires would not have flat spots.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:36 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Whatever YOUR owners manual says.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is what Newmar says and verified that in May when were at the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deploy Slides.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	308873  
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 09:48 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
You can't always go by the owners manual either!

This is my coach after 15 minutes of attempting to air back up before I bring the full wall slide back in. Sometimes if I manually dump and try to air up several times, I can get it to work. And I ALWAYS make sure my secondary tank air pressure is at max before pushing the "Travel Mode" button.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1120.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	308874

At this point, the jacks have all retracted, the rear air bags as well as the front passenger air bag have all fully re-inflated, and the front drivers side airbag will not re-inflate due to the weight of the full wall slide. This really twists the chassis frame and happens anytime my parking spot is low on the drivers side.

After having the dealer check out all the chassis air systems and finding no issues, Spartans only solution is to state that in spite of what Newmar says, whenever my parking spot is drivers side low, I must level first, then slides out. Of course you must still "manage the gap!"

Even when I am on level ground and all the slides are in, the front drivers side takes far longer to inflate than all the rest, causing the chassis frame to twist every time. In talking to my dealer, they said that they are having to give the same "level first then slides out" advice to many of their customers.

I still feel that the Spartan front air bags are undersized for the weight the front drivers side is carrying. I have never had another coach that airs up so unevenly.

PS However you decide to do it, slides out then level or level and then slides out, always bring the slides in using the same method!
tqqest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:00 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqqest View Post
You can't always go by the owners manual either!

This is my coach after 15 minutes of attempting to air back up before I bring the full wall slide back in. Sometimes if I manually dump and try to air up several times, I can get it to work. And I ALWAYS make sure my secondary tank air pressure is at max before pushing the "Travel Mode" button.

Attachment 308874

At this point, the jacks have all retracted, the rear air bags as well as the front passenger air bag have all fully re-inflated, and the front drivers side airbag will not re-inflate due to the weight of the full wall slide. This really twists the chassis frame and happens anytime my parking spot is low on the drivers side.

After having the dealer check out all the chassis air systems and finding no issues, Spartans only solution is to state that in spite of what Newmar says, whenever my parking spot is drivers side low, I must level first, then slides out. Of course you must still "manage the gap!"

Even when I am on level ground and all the slides are in, the front drivers side takes far longer to inflate than all the rest, causing the chassis frame to twist every time. In talking to my dealer, they said that they are having to give the same "level first then slides out" advice to many of their customers.

I still feel that the Spartan front air bags are undersized for the weight the front drivers side is carrying. I have never had another coach that airs up so unevenly.

PS However you decide to do it, slides out then level or level and then slides out, always bring the slides in using the same method!
Something is not right there. That should air up all bags correctly. I have a full wall slide in my 4369 and my manual says (short version)...
Park, check the gap around the slides, slides out, level. Reverse order when leaving.
I have never had nor heard of the issue you are showing there.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
@tqqest

I have stayed overnight in places were I can not put the jacks down nor do I have air leveling and just put out the full wall slide and doesn't lean like that.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out