Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2017, 12:07 PM   #1

Leveling Blocks for grass parking ??

In our first 4 months, all of our overnights have been on concrete, paver, or firm gravel pads. In January, we are going to be at the Tampa RV Expo, where we will be on grass for multiple days. Early on, I cut up a 2x10, into 24' and 30" lengths, to put under the leveling Jacks, but haven't used them yet. I also have some purchased CAMCO leveling pads that are unused.

I have read about, and seen photos of laminates people built and use, but figure my 2x10's have to be as good as those. I do want to drill a hole in each, and attach a rope, to make removal easier in case they get embedded somewhat.

Any opinions on why mine won't work? I don't want to find out too late, when I can learn from experience.
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2017, 12:13 PM   #2

Way back when the Auto Club Speedway had 'nice' grass in the infield and after sinking into wet grass the first year it opened (1997) I began using (4) 1" plywood 18" diameter circles under my jacks and it was enough to spread the load and not sink into the grass. Your 2x12's properly positioned should do the trick. I might note that the first few years at the track, the grass was lush, green and very wet and the plywood kept me from sinking into the grass. The grass is now brown and the ground is very hard so no need for the plywood.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #3

2x10 or 2x12 pieces work OK but will end up splitting if you don't either laminate w plywood or some 1x? or 2x? Cross grain to reinforce.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
The advice to spread the load is sound. While your 2X10/2X12 board will probably work OK, they won't spread the load as effectively as LJowdy's 18" plywood circles. They will also be harder to get properly placed under the Jack pads.

I carry a set of the 15" DICA "Road Warrior" RV Jack pads and they have worked very well. A bit pricey and a little heavy, but you sure won't bend or break them.

RV Jack Pads | Stabilizer Jack Pads | Landing Gear Pads for Sale - DICA

If I was going to build a set of pads for use on grade, I would either use plywood circles 16-18" in diameter constructed from 1" stock or, preferably, two circles of more commonly available 3/4" stock glued together. If you use wood blocks of any kind, consider screwing stainless steel eye bolts into the side to attach the rope rather than drilling holes in the blocks. The rope handles won't fray from having the blocks dragged around; especially if they also get used on hard surfaces.

BTW, using some kind of blocks under your Jack pads on paved surfaces (especially decorative concrete) is a common courtesy and will be appreciated by the site owner.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
2x10 or 2x12 pieces work OK but will end up splitting if you don't either laminate w plywood or some 1x? or 2x? Cross grain to reinforce.
Agree. For longevity just sandwich what you have between some 1/2" plywood. Glued and screwed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #6

When we first started i used laminated lumber under my jacks as well as my under tires if I needed to level out the coach. The laminated lumber ended up cracking after a few times. I bought heavy duty rubber pads for the jacks and the leveling blocks for the tires. I have found that this works much better for me than using lumber. Carrying and storing long planks can get old. My blocks and pads store very nicely. As a bail out I still carry 2 laminated blocks in my pickup. Hope that help.
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:18 PM   #7

We are also attending the Tampa RV Show and will be staying on site for 3 days.
Thanks for the heads up on potential parking issues on soft grass.
I've used the 2x10's in the past, but they are prone to splitting.
I just finished making a set of 4 Jack Pads using a Stall Pad (recycled tires) and 5/8" plywood.
Sandwiched the plywood between to rubber pads, glued and screwed, with a rope handle.
Each one measures 11.5" x 13.5" x 2.25" and cost $7.50 to make.
I hope I won't need them, but if I do, I'll be ready.
Someone also mentioned that the rubber will prevent the RV from grounding, should we get struck during an electrical storm!
Not sure about that, but it sounds good.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:36 PM   #8

Our rv came with some blocks. They aren't laminated and have had 0 issues with them splitting the rig is 22,000 lbs if I remember correctly. They are painted with plain white paint. They have rings screwed into the side to hook and drag out. I tied rope to them as a reminder they are there and don't like using the awning hook to get them out.

They had them because as we found out that the levelers are too short to really be effective and using them fully extended really isn't ideal for the levelers.

I would post a pic but don't feel like digging them out of the basement in 20* weather. lol
Old 12-30-2017, 04:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
Someone also mentioned that the rubber will prevent the RV from grounding, should we get struck during an electrical storm!
Not sure about that, but it sounds good.
I really don't think a layer of rubber will stop a million + volts that has traveled through a mile or more of free air from finding ground.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:04 AM   #10

Lightning barrier sounds good but think about it.
Lightning jumps from cloud to ground...whats the chance it won't jump an inch or two?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:42 AM   #11

There are probably all kinds of fancy things you can purchase at CW and other places to put under jacks and tires. I'm a fan of cut pieces of 2x12 lumber painted with exterior quality paint. I have had my current set of them for about 3 years and they are holding up great.

The good thing about cut pieces of 2x12 lumber is that if you forget and leave a couple of them you really aren't out much. If after 2 or 3 years of use one does slit, which mine never have, it is no big deal to go buy another $10.00 worth of lumber and make a few more. I painted mine bright yellow so I don't forget them or trip over them as much.

2x10 lumber would work great also, I just had some 2x12 handy.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We bought a 4x6 rubber stall pad from tractor supply and cut into 12x12 pieces. We use these under jacks on all surfaces. They store along the tray to house battery compartment. Out of the way when we travel and we can stack up if need be on uneven surface.

Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:15 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
We bought a 4x6 rubber stall pad from tractor supply and cut into 12x12 pieces. We use these under jacks on all surfaces. They store along the tray to house battery compartment. Out of the way when we travel and we can stack up if need be on uneven surface.
+1

We did the same. Started out with 4 hosspads from Camping World. Because we had a rervation at a park with Asphalt pads...which required jack be on pads. I later opted to cut a bunch myself from the horse stall pad they sell at TSC vs buy more hosspads.

They have been incredibly durable. So in honesty...I use the Hosspads as the base...since they include a rope to help dislodge them...and stack my homemade pads on top of them, if I need some extra height to make it easy for the coach to level.

Tags
leveling