Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #1

Leveling jacks slow to retract.

Anyone else have issue with the leveling legs retracting slowly? What we have been doing is start the store sequence when we are ready to leave, then go around the RV and put away power and water lines, check all compartments, and make sure everything is secured. By that time most of the legs are up but one or two still are not parked all the way up. I take a piece of metal and pry the legs up to get the alarms off. We replaced the springs but that hasn't helped. It doesn't take much force to finish parking the legs so I don't believe it's a bent shaft or anything like that.

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue and what you did to correct it.

This is a HWH system on a 04 Dutch Star 40' pusher..
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try cleaning the pistons with WD40. Spray a liberal amount on then wipe down with a microfiber cloth. Also spray some up inside where the jacks retract and get up inside with qtips to clean out whatever dirt may have accumulated there.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:04 PM   #3

Does it have a grease fitting on each one? Mine do.. twice a year a shot of grease and no problems.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:10 PM   #4

^^^ What he said regarding the grease fittings

Plus... measure the voltage across the motor while it is running. If it is low than look at the wiring. A damaged wire with only a few strands left making the connection will cause a voltage drop that will result in a slow motor.

And the cheapest I've found the microfiber cloths was at Harbor Freight.

Mike
Old 02-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #5

For our HWH jacks, TJClark's answer is the best. The driving force in retracting our jacks is springs only! We have had your problem, and the answer has always been WD-40 or a DRY silicone spray.

Ed Headington
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My book requires me to rub tranny fluid on the shafts about once a year. They seem to like it, as they scoot right up after that.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:24 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree, use WD-40 and wipe with clean rags. You also might need to replace your springs.

Just replaced the springs on my HWH jacks. Found the best prices at:

https://www.hannarv.com/

Get the model number of your jacks first, I found that my front jacks were different from the rear. Here is a chart on spring sizes.

https://www.hannarv.com/Content/file...wh%20chart.jpg

A note of caution. Per the chart, and upon investigation, I found the recommended spring for my rear jacks was 18" long, however, the distance between the mounting brackets on my jacks when fully retracted was only 16". If I went with the recommended springs, my jacks would never fully retract. I went with a HWH spring rated the same that was 14" long.

Here is the data on mine.

Front Jacks APP40506 (9000#) replacement springs #R3847
HWH Rear Jacks AP8805 (12000#) replacement springs R34692 (14") vs
R38956 (18")
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:00 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
With the Jack's extended, locate the pump and reservoir. It should be under the hood on the right side. On top of the reservoir will be four round, usually silver in color, solenoids. They have pressure release levers or screws, depending on model, that need to be opened for a test of releasing the pressure in the system. Going from memory here but the two in the middle of the four will operate the rear jack's, the two on the outside will control the front jacks. Manually open those solenoids and see if that will make for a more rapid retraction. If retraction is normal, then the solenoids probably need to be rebuilt, HWH does this, I believe. Call them for information.
It sounds like the solenoids are not opening fully when requested. The solenoids lock the fluid in the system to keep the jacks locked down. Opening the solenoids allow fluid to return to the reservoir.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #9

Have you:

Checked the fluid level when the jacks are fully retracted
Lubricated any and all parts.
Cleaned the pistons with WD40.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - Look at your springs. If they are the type that are the same dimension the entire length then that type will eventually get weak. If they are tapered not so much of an issue. Not sure when the spring type changed but it was about the time span of your coach. If the WD40 doesn't fix the issue and you do order new retraction springs be sure to get the tapered ones.

Tom
Old 02-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #11

Thanks for the responses. I plan to research it further as soon as outside temps rise around here again.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:57 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Your last post might also be a clue ... about when the temperature warms a little. The jack retract time on our Essex is significantly longer when the temperatures get below 40 degrees or so. While the retraction is only by spring power, it still requires hydraulic fluid to be displaced, the fluid is more viscous at lower temperatures and slows the process down. You can either take the extra time to wait for a full retraction, or energize the hydraulic pump to get the fluid moving and warmed a little. On colder days, if I'm in a hurry, I've found extending the generator bay a few times (which is hydraulic powered on the Essex) or even redeploying the leveling jacks, then retracting them again, makes a big difference.
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjclarke696 View Post
Try cleaning the pistons with WD40. Spray a liberal amount on then wipe down with a microfiber cloth. Also spray some up inside where the jacks retract and get up inside with qtips to clean out whatever dirt may have accumulated there.
Best answer. HWH has a very good trouble shooting guide online. HWH are also spring retract so no motor but there are solenoids and valves that operate. If it goes almost up and ready to push likely just needs cleaning.
HWH recommends WD 40 NOT SILICONE. Cleaning around seals also helps. Only other step I have had success with is after cleaning spray the cylinder w WD40 and retract w/o wiping.
Exercising the system periodically helps if stored for long periods.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:47 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRog View Post
Your last post might also be a clue ... about when the temperature warms a little. The jack retract time on our Essex is significantly longer when the temperatures get below 40 degrees or so. While the retraction is only by spring power, it still requires hydraulic fluid to be displaced, the fluid is more viscous at lower temperatures and slows the process down. You can either take the extra time to wait for a full retraction, or energize the hydraulic pump to get the fluid moving and warmed a little. On colder days, if I'm in a hurry, I've found extending the generator bay a few times (which is hydraulic powered on the Essex) or even redeploying the leveling jacks, then retracting them again, makes a big difference.
Here an Information Bulletin from HWH on Jack Retraction Times
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH Jack Retraction Times.pdf (9.8 KB, 110 views)
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks