Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2023, 02:42 PM   #15

Before deploying the slides, we'll turn the engine on and wait until the air bags are full. Even if the coach isn't level, with the airbags, that helps to square the coach - then pull out the slides - and then attempt to use the jacks to level (which automatically empties the airbags in our 2023 NA).

When leaving we do this in reverse - turn on the engine, retract the jacks, wait until the airbags are full (we can see the coach lifting onto the airbags) and then retract the slides.

We try to have at least one set of the rear wheels pretty firmly on the ground. We don't worry too much about the front wheels.

If one set of rear wheels isn't completely on the ground, we'll place wheel chocks on those wheels.

And, if we're concerned about having the rear wheels off the ground - we'll try pulling out of the space and turning around and trying the other way.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2023, 02:44 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
There is a device called Level Mate Pro which provides a tremendous assistance in determining how level and where you need to stop on the site. Go online and Google it.
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 07:21 AM   #17

The Levelmate Pro is a very useful tool because it helps us to identify how level the coach is before we park, let out the slides and then put down the jacks.

We've been told to avoid cycling the jacks more than once or twice - and using the Levelmate Pro helps us to avoid that.

The only time we've had problems with the combination of the Levelmate Pro and our HWH jacks was at a Fort Davis campsite that wasn't graded and we were parking on uneven gravel. When we tried to level with the jacks - the system had a difficult time getting to a level position. We then put some plastic leveling blocks under the jacks - and then were able to level, but after a day or two, we saw the bottom blocks were getting deformed as the coach settled onto rocks below the surface.

We ended up getting some concrete blocks (2" thick) - and that stabilized the jacks - but those blocks splintered into multiple pieces and were toast when we pulled out of the spot.

We're planning to go back to that campground next year, and may bring some new concrete blocks that we'll plan to use for the week and then throw out (they cost less than $10).
Old 05-31-2023, 08:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
The Levelmate Pro is a very useful tool because it helps us to identify how level the coach is before we park, let out the slides and then put down the jacks.

We've been told to avoid cycling the jacks more than once or twice - and using the Levelmate Pro helps us to avoid that.

The only time we've had problems with the combination of the Levelmate Pro and our HWH jacks was at a Fort Davis campsite that wasn't graded and we were parking on uneven gravel. When we tried to level with the jacks - the system had a difficult time getting to a level position. We then put some plastic leveling blocks under the jacks - and then were able to level, but after a day or two, we saw the bottom blocks were getting deformed as the coach settled onto rocks below the surface.

We ended up getting some concrete blocks (2" thick) - and that stabilized the jacks - but those blocks splintered into multiple pieces and were toast when we pulled out of the spot.

We're planning to go back to that campground next year, and may bring some new concrete blocks that we'll plan to use for the week and then throw out (they cost less than $10).
Many years ago when we bought our first class A, I bought an 8’- 2x12 treated piece of lumber and cut it into slices large enough for the jacks. Then, I doubled them and screwed multiple screws into the two blocks of wood at several different angles in an effort to not allow splitting. (and to hold the two blocks together of course). I also drilled a hole in the corner of each set so that a rope could be attached. This makes for easier retrieval. We’ve traded coaches three times and I’m still using those same blocks. They store well in my battery compartment.
In regards to leveling, we deploy the slides while at ride height, and then I manually dump the air. Once the coach is all the way down, I level it manually in an effort to keep the coach low. (We’ve not been in sites that were not too far out of level).
We had a Tiffin Zephyr before this coach that cracked the windshield twice using “auto level”. ……Been “gun shy” ever since then.
Thanks,
Stu
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:40 AM   #19
Rocky Mountain High

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was thinking about this thread earlier this week when I tried to level my coach in a Harvest Hosts parking lot. The lot was dirt and gravel and it wasn’t especially level. On my first attempt to auto level, the coach went through the process and indicated that it was level. When I walked around the coach to inspect it, I found the front and rear tires on the driver’s side were off the ground. I wasn’t comfortable with this, so I retracted the jacks and moved the coach to a different position where I was able to get level without any wheels off the ground. Sometimes you just have to adjust as you go…
Cummins 6.7L ISB, Allison 3000
Dennis C. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:57 AM   #20

I've always heard to level the coach then put the slides out. It makes more sense when the coach is stable and level to put the slides out then when it is not. The slide could be "racked" if not level. I'm afraid the slides will bind if not nice and level.

Maybe someone can explain why slides first then level?

FYI - have a 44' diesel with 1 full wall slide and 2 on the other side.
mgord1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:05 AM   #21

Leveling procedure

If a site is unlevel, we usually drive up on wood, or if a tire is slightly off the ground, we will put wood, or a plastic block under the tire. We also make sure the footprint of the tire is supported on the block/wood. Itís not good to have tires off of the ground, and no support. We also place chocks if the tires are high up on blocks. BTW, an RV tech told us to do this.
Candy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgord1985 View Post
I've always heard to level the coach then put the slides out. It makes more sense when the coach is stable and level to put the slides out then when it is not. The slide could be "racked" if not level. I'm afraid the slides will bind if not nice and level.

Maybe someone can explain why slides first then level?

FYI - have a 44' diesel with 1 full wall slide and 2 on the other side.
According to the manual for our 2023 New Aire, Newmar started recommending slides out first then leveling - as long as the slideout trims have adequate clearance for the slides to extend. If the slideout trim gap isn't large enough to extend (because the coach isn't level enough), only then does Newmar recommend leveling first and then extending the slides.

Though I suspect that if the ground is that uneven, the jacks may have difficulty getting the coach to level anyway...

So far, after 6 months, we haven't encountered a situation where we've had to level first - and have always extended the slides and then the jacks, as per the manual recommendations.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:17 AM   #23

I've come to the conclusion that the auto level function is biased to raise the coach to level.

This past weekend, we had a site that was acceptably level front to back, but had a slope side to side. When I used auto level, it kept raising the coach until the system stopped with an excess slope alarm. At that point, it was acceptable front to back, but still not level side to side. Plus the stairs were way high. So I just manually lowered the coach alternately side to side until I was level. I then was able to lower some more to get the steps at an acceptable height.

Another example is at home, my spot is level side to side but has a slight slope back to front. Auto level raises until the steps are way high. Now, I just manually level starting with the front until just level, then I lower the rears just until they touch. Steps are comfortable height then.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:33 AM   #24

Newmar first said level first, then slides.

Then Newmar said slides first, then level.

Now Newmar says check the slide gaps first and decide based on that.

I have a 2005 MADP 4032 with four slides. I level first, then slides.

I think the slide gap "issue" is much more prevalent with the full wall slides.

The HWH auto level function only knows to keep going up in order to achieve level. I gave up on using auto level two years ago. Based on the lights on the control panel, I level side to side first. Then front to back. If leveling front to back messes up side to side, then I try to correct that by lowering first - something HWH auto level can't do.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:46 AM   #25

Winnebago Manual says:

Before Extending!
Level the coach and set the Parking Brake.
mgord1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 05:40 PM   #26
jrs

3X on the LevelMatePro. Received as a gift and it's a nice item to have. Had to use it yesterday to pick out the best spot at a site.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling