Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2023, 09:09 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Leveling Procedure Questions

For what ever reason it seems we tend to pick sites that are not the most level/flat. We pull in - while on air - put out the slides. Then auto level the coach. What happens many times at the end of the auto leveling dance is one axle or tire is off the ground. So I manually drop the jacks as evenly as possible to get the tires back on the ground. This leaves the coach slightly un level. Dishwasher drawer either won't stay out - or stays out / interior doors don't behave as they should etc.

So what I was thinking is while the tire is off the ground .... lift the jack a little more and put a block/spacer under the tire (no more than 2" or so), and then drop the jack some to rest the tire on the block.

Although these are some beefy jacks, I had heard it is not a good idea to leave the tire hanging.

I haven't seen any one else do this. I have seen many other larger coaches with a tire in the air - just not a good look imo.

Any comments?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2023, 10:04 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I don’t worry about it. I’ll be one of those you see with a tire or two in the air.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 10:28 AM   #3

Leveling Procedure Questions

Level manually after dumping air instead of allowing auto level to go too high, which from what I’ve read here is often the case.

If I end up having a front tire off the ground, I put an extra step out and don’t worry about it.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 10:31 AM   #4

If you have air suspension, 43 ft should, the suspension dumps ALL of its air as the jacks lift the RV, even 1 inch.

That leaves almost all of the rigs weight on the jacks, except the tires and axles. There is no RV weight on them.

Insuring that they lay on the ground or on boards does nothing to keep your rig in in its place.

Lowering 1 corner to get the tire on the ground will twist the chassis.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Level manually after dumping air instead of allowing auto level to go too high, which from what I’ve read here is often the case.

If I end up having a front tire off the ground, I put an extra step out and don’t worry about it.
If you dump all of the air from the suspension on an uneven site, you risk twisting the chassis.

Getting the levelers down before the air is totally gone will prevent that.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 10:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If you dump all of the air from the suspension on an uneven site, you risk twisting the chassis.

Getting the levelers down before the air is totally gone will prevent that.
Maybe I'll try manually extending the leveling jacks - just touching while still on air. Then tweaking the jacks to manually level and then not dump the air. That should keep the chassis twist to a minimum.
Old 05-20-2023, 10:53 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We occasionally get a site where there is one corner that is low, and the wheel wants to lift off the ground. I don't like having either of the front wheels in the air. I'm not going to argue the reason why as its kind of like a Chevy vs Ford argument. It's still hundreds of pounds hanging on the air bag and shock.

When your jacks lift the coach, they lift in pairs and when they lift too much making their corrections, they aren't smart enough to lower those jacks, but instead compensate by lifting the others higher. This can happen a few times.

After having leveled 100's of times, I can often tell when the coach has done the above. I manually lower the offending jacks and then push AUTO LEVEL a second time. Often the coach will level on the second try. If I can't, I do as you proposed and add a block or one of my ramps under the offending jack.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 11:52 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhexpert View Post

So what I was thinking is while the tire is off the ground .... lift the jack a little more and put a block/spacer under the tire (no more than 2" or so), and then drop the jack some to rest the tire on the block.

I do this. Only had to do it a handful of times in 3 years though.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 09:02 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We occasionally get a site where there is one corner that is low, and the wheel wants to lift off the ground. I don't like having either of the front wheels in the air. I'm not going to argue the reason why as its kind of like a Chevy vs Ford argument. It's still hundreds of pounds hanging on the air bag and shock.

When your jacks lift the coach, they lift in pairs and when they lift too much making their corrections, they aren't smart enough to lower those jacks, but instead compensate by lifting the others higher. This can happen a few times.

After having leveled 100's of times, I can often tell when the coach has done the above. I manually lower the offending jacks and then push AUTO LEVEL a second time. Often the coach will level on the second try. If I can't, I do as you proposed and add a block or one of my ramps under the offending jack.
Meant to say tire.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 09:59 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
In addition to suggestions already stated:
I always deploy my FWS while on air suspension as it rolls down the road
As far as uneven sites, I will get out and examine the site if it feel very uneven prior to deploying slides or lowering jacks, I have found that moving front to back and or side to side can make a big difference on some sites.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:09 AM   #11

Why do you put out the slides while way out of level?
Old 05-22-2023, 10:55 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Why do you put out the slides while way out of level?

I can answer this, as on Newmar coaches with mechanical full wall slides, the recommended procedure is to deploy slides BEFORE jacks (as long as the gaps between slide and walls are even and not touching)
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:29 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I can answer this, as on Newmar coaches with mechanical full wall slides, the recommended procedure is to deploy slides BEFORE jacks (as long as the gaps between slide and walls are even and not touching)
Correct 😎
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 09:36 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Once we get situated on pad, while still on air we open the slides. I will close the door and bring in HWH steps.
The wife will watch the rear flap, then I dump air. Once air is dumped, if using HWH leveling I will tap auto level. This ensures we are leveling at the lowest point possible. Never had our front tires hanging on our LA.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling