Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 10:12 PM   #1

Leveling system not working

Has anyone found hydraulic step sensor failure to keep HWH leveling system from working? 2017 Essex
Jheller54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 10:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Thats a great question for HWH. They are pretty friendly and receptive to trouble shooting calls. And if theres updates youll find that out too.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Thats a great question for HWH. They are pretty friendly and receptive to trouble shooting calls. And if theres updates youll find that out too.

A female employee answered my call a few years ago re a 5 pack question. She was quite terse but said she would have a tech call back.
2+ weeks later I got called back.
Boomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomper View Post
A female employee answered my call a few years ago re a 5 pack question. She was quite terse but said she would have a tech call back.
2+ weeks later I got called back.
I spent a week there in March getting AA installed, then stopped by in June for some adjustments. They also voluntarily changed out all the check valves (even though they worked just fine), because they said they we’re now using a higher quality valve.

They had it on the rack for about five hours, no charge, and I had just called the day before to see if they could squeeze me in while I was passing through. They did even though they were quite busy.

Both times everyone seemed like they couldn’t do enough for me. Even let me borrow a small delivery van to run around in while they worked on the coach. Maybe things have changed in five years. They even have hook ups for half a dozen rigs.

They could use some pavement but other than that, no complaints and only positive experiences.

For the OP, ask for Ashley and she’ll get you to the right person.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheller54 View Post
Has anyone found hydraulic step sensor failure to keep HWH leveling system from working? 2017 Essex
This is in fact the case. Solved step sensor issue and coach leveled fine
Jheller54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:09 AM   #6

Thanks for letting us know the outcome!
Dval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jheller54 View Post
This is in fact the case. Solved step sensor issue and coach leveled fine
Glad you solved your issue. The step sensors will stop working when they have water intrusion. Acts just like they have hit a curb or bottomed out which will stop all leveling or jack action or steps from extending. I had to replace both sensors last year.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewlee View Post
Glad you solved your issue. The step sensors will stop working when they have water intrusion. Acts just like they have hit a curb or bottomed out which will stop all leveling or jack action or steps from extending. I had to replace both sensors last year.
When the sensor has absorbed some water and wont let the steps fully deploy, can you close the door to operate the jacks. It may be smart enough to not allow the jacks to operate even when the steps are retracted and have the water problem. . Just curious.
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 10:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizbad View Post
When the sensor has absorbed some water and wont let the steps fully deploy, can you close the door to operate the jacks. It may be smart enough to not allow the jacks to operate even when the steps are retracted and have the water problem. . Just curious.
From what I know of the system, the step sensors when they malfunction will stop the HWH leveling system from operating. On my 17 LADP there was a service bulletin to install an override switch and a reset switch so you can fully extend the steps when they malfunction. I have not had the situation where I had to try the switches in reference with the leveling system. Something to ask Newmar or HWH.

Tags
leveling, leveling system