Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2021, 06:58 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Once your levelers lift the rig an inch (air bag vehicles only), only the weight of the axle is on the tires. The parking brake isn't doing anything substantial.

The air bags don't suspend the axle. The shocks are, or limit straps are (if equipped).

Hanging the axle does nothing bad. The forces are downright minor compared to what the suspension system is engineered to undure while driving.

Don't lift the RV when on a substantial slope. Ensure the leveling legs are on solid and grippy material. Pressure treated wood is slippery when wet. If the leveling legs are in a pocket, then the sidewards force to move is huge. If they are gliding on the surface (wet blacktop or hard packed grass), then it's possible they could slide downhill.

The larger reason rigs slide sideward is the leveling are on blocks cockeyed and then the stack tips (gets pushed into the ground), then the leveling pads slide off the blocks and the whole rig goes sideways until the leveling jacks bend.

Different jacks are diff diameters / sidewall thickness. Mine are HWH very stout jacks. I have personally yanked the RV doing chassis reptag ddair sideways using a semi and the jacks didn't care one bit while the RV was getting pulled around the parking lot (a few inches at a time). But, I have seen cheaper jacks that I wouldn't trust on level ground.

When I visited the factory repair there was a tag axle coach on frame jacks 5 foot in the air and I made the comment isn't that bad for the air bags. They repair guy laugh and said "you must read that one on the forums, how else would we work on the suspension" and the answer was NO. . Later talk to a team leader and echo what DavL said above about the wooden blocks and the damage jacks he had seen was a coach sitting on stack of wooden blocks and thunder storm and side winds with rain and the coach shifting. He called it "Cheating" leveling a coach using stacking blocks when you can't level without blocks and it's not recommended. I ask about wheels off the ground he said "the official responds is don't" with a smile and a tone of voice that suggest that's OK I just can't say it.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 09:35 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
So being new to this, and coming from an Airstream to a Newmar Superstar with HWH leveling jacks, are there guidelines the group can share on maximum front to back or side-to-side? I have no idea how far the HWH levelers will travel/adjust.

In my trailer front to back was never a problem even tho I had to dig a trench for the hitch ball a few times. Side-to-side > 6in was a royal pain and I'd spend 20 min trying to maneuver around a spot to avoid it. I used Andersen Levelers but not sure they can withstand the axle weight of the new rig.

As someone previously mentioned, I'm putting my Levelmate Pro in the new rig and I'll know exactly how far I'm off.

Thanks in advance.
mtflybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:52 PM   #17
NXR

What kind of fridge do you have, RV or residential? RV fridges generally need to be within three degrees of level side to side (with respect to the fridge) and six degrees front to back. Since fridges usually are installed sideways, that means within three degrees from to back of the RV.

I try to stay within one-half degree in both axis. The trick is finding a reference point since there isn't much installed in an RV that's plumb.

I have the LevelmatePRO. It makes setting up a lot less stressful.

Ray
Old 04-06-2021, 06:14 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks Ray.

I have the residential refrigerator. Never knew it had these leveling tolerances. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:52 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The LevelMate Pro, allows you to jockey the coach around a campsite and tells you the most level spot without having to get out if the coach. It will also tell you exactly how many inches a side is low.

Buy the newest version with the USB power plug. The only complaint is that the battery only models have a short battery life, but the newer one stays powered up all the time, or you can turn it off with a switch.
Don, where did you mount your unit on your 19 DSDP?
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:11 PM   #20
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Don, where did you mount your unit on your 19 DSDP?
I've talked about it a lot because I'm ready to order one. I've held off because we aren't going to be home for a week or so and I don't want it sitting on the porch.

In my half bath, electrical cabinet, I installed a dual USB power port to power my ATT Mobley. I intend to buy the powered LevelMatePro and install it in the cabinet, using the USB power port.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:45 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I've talked about it a lot because I'm ready to order one. I've held off because we aren't going to be home for a week or so and I don't want it sitting on the porch.

In my half bath, electrical cabinet, I installed a dual USB power port to power my ATT Mobley. I intend to buy the powered LevelMatePro and install it in the cabinet, using the USB power port.
Great idea

I looked up the directions on it and it gives a variety of mounting positions. I was thinking in the basement near one of the 120v outlets for the USB power adapter and seeing if it will run without the battery, only using the USB power port provided. I'm going to order it now on Amazon but I will mount it inside as well for easy access if I need to switch it off.

Thanks for the suggestion.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B083ZMZP...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 04-06-2021, 10:25 PM   #22
NXR

[QUOTE=Dutchstar411;570333I looked up the directions on it and it gives a variety of mounting positions. I was thinking in the basement near one of the 120v outlets for the USB power adapter and seeing if it will run without the battery, only using the USB power port provided. I'm going to order it now on Amazon but I will mount it inside as well for easy access if I need to switch it off.[/QUOTE]

I don't know your basement design so be certain that is an absolutely solid, non-flexing mount point. I have a small cabinet above the door so I screwed mine inside the cabinet to the side wall.

Ray
Old 04-06-2021, 10:28 PM   #23
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflybox View Post
I have the residential refrigerator. Never knew it had these leveling tolerances. Thanks.
I'm sure it has some kind of tolerance but since a residential fridge is designed to be mounted on a floor that never moves I have no idea how you would ever find out it is.

Ray
Old 04-07-2021, 09:55 AM   #24

I always try to level coach ,with blocks under tires if needed, before attempting slides or jacks.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:13 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I don't know your basement design so be certain that is an absolutely solid, non-flexing mount point. I have a small cabinet above the door so I screwed mine inside the cabinet to the side wall.

Ray
Here's where I'll be putting it in this weekend, medicine cabinet in the Mid-Bath. Has a power outlet so no need to add anything else.

Already measured wheel bases that need to be entered as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mid-Bath Cabinet.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	324173  
Old 04-07-2021, 08:12 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
I always try to level coach ,with blocks under tires if needed, before attempting slides or jacks.
Interesting idea. Certainly what we did in the trailer and never had a problem.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:05 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Mounted the Level Mate Pro plus unit in the cabinet, didn't need to open it to install a battery since using only the USB power and set the software to always on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210409_093526.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	324391  
Old 04-09-2021, 10:22 AM   #28

The Level Mate Pro is a great idea.
I never leave tires off the ground.
I carry several square wood blocks I use for the jacks. About 12x12 x2 or maybe it’s a 12x12x 1. Regular Jack wood blocks.
I have extra ones.
If my tire goes off the ground, I raise it a bit higher, slide a wood block under the tire and manually drop the Jack slowly until the wood supports the tire.
Done, easy and safe.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling