Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2021, 08:00 AM   #1

Leveling your coach

We have a 35 ft Ventana so that we can more easily fit into state parks and carry some 30 2x10s to allow us to get it level which is often a challenge. For this coach the drill is slides out then jacks down. Occasionally, after leveling, we find we've lifted a tire and have to air the coach, stow the jacks, put the slides in, and pull off the blocks to add another block. Does any one just lift the coach higher on the jacks and slip another block under? After typing it sounds like a silly question since at that point I've lifted a tire anyway.
RVific is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 08:13 AM   #2

Leveling

I never liked having my tires off the ground, but I've done that when I had my shorter prior coach, and went to those state parks with an unlevel site. Of course, I only had my front tires off the ground and only a few inches.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:16 AM   #3

For example. I'd never want to leave these hanging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20201017_165122_1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	323396  
Old 04-01-2021, 09:27 AM   #4

I have 2 different approaches to this issue, depending on the severity of the problem. I keep a little square level in the console and as soon as I am in a parking space Ill put it on the floor and see how far off we are. Ill also take note of how flat the terrain is, which can make a difference.

If things are decent, then I just auto level. However, if I am concerned that height will become an issue I go one of 2 ways ...

1) If its not too bad, the approach I use is to hit the autolevel and then immediately stop the jacks from deploying. This effectively dumps the airbags and gets the coach sitting as low as possible. Once the air is dumped then I use the jacks manually to level. I have found that this can make a tremendous difference in the final height of the coach. In normal operation the legs will catch the coach before the bags are fully deflated. Additionally, the auto level only tends to add height to level rather than ever taking it away. The result is that the auto leveler can really jack the coach up, which, on uneven ground can cause wheels to hang in the air.

2) The other approach in a more severe circumstance is to carry 2 sets of jack pads. If necessary, I drive the coach onto jack pads and to level it first, and then for every pad that went under a wheel, a corresponding one goes under the associated jack. This way the jacks and the wheels are somewhat on the same (and relatively level) plane. I then do the leveling sequence from there, doing it manually after an airdump if necessary.

J
pilotspike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #5

I am a lot longer but have a LevelMatePRO which helps getting it as level as possible before deploying jacks. I'm able to tell if or how many boards I may need beforehand. I don't think we've ever had to go back and add anything afterwards since we got this product.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:22 PM   #6

I know some don't want their tires in the air, but I've never heard why.

How would you change a flat with your tire on the ground?
Old 04-02-2021, 12:52 PM   #7

For 3 reasons that i personally dont want them hanging:

1) The rear wheels are the ones locked down by the emergency brake. Once you get your rear wheels up off the ground the coach is free to roll off the jacks which can ruin your day really badly. I watched this happen on a $450K rig once.

2) Coaches that have airbags would be effectively hanging the axles by the bags themselves. I dont believe that the bags were designed to support that kind of weight in tension v compression as when the coach is sitting on top of them.

3) Once the wheels are in the air the jacks now have to add alot of lateral stability which they aren't really designed to do. If you have ever had your front wheels off the ground and noticed some side to side sway, that is your jack legs flexing under lateral loads. Once those tube walls buckle it doesn't take much to get them to fail, and, once they buckle, they are likely stuck down.

Just my perspective.

J
pilotspike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotspike View Post

1) The rear wheels are the ones locked down by the emergency brake. Once you get your rear wheels up off the ground the coach is free to roll off the jacks which can ruin your day really badly. I watched this happen on a $450K rig once.

2) Coaches that have airbags would be effectively hanging the axles by the bags themselves. I dont believe that the bags were designed to support that kind of weight in tension v compression as when the coach is sitting on top of them.

3) Once the wheels are in the air the jacks now have to add alot of lateral stability which they aren't really designed to do. If you have ever had your front wheels off the ground and noticed some side to side sway, that is your jack legs flexing under lateral loads. Once those tube walls buckle it doesn't take much to get them to fail, and, once they buckle, they are likely stuck down.

Just my perspective.

J

Good Thoughts,

Thanks
Old 04-02-2021, 04:22 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

This a good response and why I don't like mine to hang.

When we occasionally have an issue with a tire coming off the ground, I'll first try lowering the rear manually, then hitting "Auto Level" again. The system is smart, but not smart enough to realize that it over lifted the rear and then tried to correct the front, by lifting higher.

If that doesn't work, I'll place one of my ramps under the dangling wheel.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #10

Not having an air bag coach I may not encounter all those situations but I dealt a lot with air bag semi tractors. When letting an air bag axle dangle it is supported by the shock absorbers. It is not a good situation so I would recommend not doing it. If the bags are deflated the jacks are supporting all the weight so not having the tires off the ground would make no difference as to the amount of weight supported by the jacks other than the weight of the axle. The picture of all the boards under the rear tire looks to me like if the coach wanted to move the boards would just start to slide off each other. On my Workhorse I try to avoid more than one board. Before I catch static as to why I am offering advice on this forum I was looking at it because I am looking for possible problems on a 2000 Bay Star I see advertised.
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #11

I looked up the LevelMatePRO and I think ill give it a try. It's a bit spendy but we use a lot of state parks and it sounds like it might really reduce some of the leveling burden by eliminating the guesswork.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:31 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The LevelMate Pro, allows you to jockey the coach around a campsite and tells you the most level spot without having to get out if the coach. It will also tell you exactly how many inches a side is low.

Buy the newest version with the USB power plug. The only complaint is that the battery only models have a short battery life, but the newer one stays powered up all the time, or you can turn it off with a switch.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #13
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The LevelMate Pro, allows you to jockey the coach around a campsite and tells you the most level spot without having to get out if the coach. It will also tell you exactly how many inches a side is low.

Buy the newest version with the USB power plug. The only complaint is that the battery only models have a short battery life, but the newer one stays powered up all the time, or you can turn it off with a switch.
The LevelMatePRO i bought about a year and a half ago is battery only but also has the power switch. I turn it off after leveling and got over a year out of the battery.

It does go to sleep with no movement but that also means it's turned on while driving.

Ray
Old 04-04-2021, 02:56 PM   #14

Quote:

Just my perspective.

J
Once your levelers lift the rig an inch (air bag vehicles only), only the weight of the axle is on the tires. The parking brake isn't doing anything substantial.

The air bags don't suspend the axle. The shocks are, or limit straps are (if equipped).

Hanging the axle does nothing bad. The forces are downright minor compared to what the suspension system is engineered to undure while driving.

Don't lift the RV when on a substantial slope. Ensure the leveling legs are on solid and grippy material. Pressure treated wood is slippery when wet. If the leveling legs are in a pocket, then the sidewards force to move is huge. If they are gliding on the surface (wet blacktop or hard packed grass), then it's possible they could slide downhill.

The larger reason rigs slide sideward is the leveling are on blocks cockeyed and then the stack tips (gets pushed into the ground), then the leveling pads slide off the blocks and the whole rig goes sideways until the leveling jacks bend.

Different jacks are diff diameters / sidewall thickness. Mine are HWH very stout jacks. I have personally yanked the RV doing chassis repair sideways using a semi and the jacks didn't care one bit while the RV was getting pulled around the parking lot (a few inches at a time). But, I have seen cheaper jacks that I wouldn't trust on level ground.

Tags
leveling