Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2021, 07:32 AM   #1

Li Batteries and Solar Panels

I just purchased a 2016 4369 DS, the batteries are shot and I want to install Li batteries and a solar system.

Anyone know the best place to purchase the batteries and panels and how many will fit on the roof of a 2016 4369 and what has been your experience so far.

I installed a system with AGM batteries and 2 panels on my boat a few years back and love that it really cuts down on generator time...less noise and fuel burn :-)

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Curt
flyingcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2021, 07:57 AM   #2

Need more info.

How will you use your rig?

What is your electric use budget? IOW, how many amp hours per day do you want to use?

Do it yourself or hire it out?

$$$ or $$$$$ budget?
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:37 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Curt,

Quite a few of us have done or are doing this. You probably have enough roof space to put up enough solar that would virtually replace your generator and run two A/Cs at once. Start at the top and work your way down. How many panels can you put up there? How much battery bank do you need? Inverter(s) size?

Defining your "mission" is key and then build a system from there. At the high end, expect to spend at least $15k or so on a "big" system with batteries being the lion's share of the cost. The good news is that LiFePo cost is coming down. I just bought some "Big Battery" 24v 170Ah batteries for 33 cents per Watt hour. The industry standard Battle Borns run about 74 cent per Wh. There is so much extraneous data. Wh cost is a good measure for "apples to apples" comparison. The Will Prouse videos are helpful also.

Victron components (Charge controller, inverter, SOC display, etc) are popular because they mostly bluetooth together....but aren't the least expensive. You just need components that play well together....and fit your budget.

Tons of advice to be found on this site. Lots of do's and don'ts.

Jack
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
PS....

Here are 3 places for reasonable pricing quotes:

1. Discount Solar in Quartzite..
2. Northern Arizona Wind and Solar
3. Wellspring Components (Indiana)

Or, DIY and save some bucks. You are replacing the batteries to begin with? Charge controllers will need to be set up for Li.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:55 AM   #5

Hi Curt,

A real plus is you doing the work yourself. It can be a challenging and fun at the same time and the end result has always been worth it.

Been at Q for 3 months and only needed the genny for 3 hours so if your after quiet, solar is great. The charging and storage size for lithiums let you roll over marginal days with ease.

I strongly suggest speaking with one of the folks on this forum who currently are using these technologies. A little phone time will reap great benefits and make for more informed choices.

You are welcome to PM me your # and I’ll be glad to share what I have learned.
SV K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #6

I would also look at AM Solar's website. They sell product, do installs, and have a lot of information there. https://amsolar.com

We had them do our install on our 2017 MA.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:43 PM   #7

Curt,
First determine which way you like to park in the winter. Then position your panels for the least amount of shade in that position. For instance we like to face our MH East for solar gain in the winter. Thus are panels are mounted on the passenger side of the roof. Which is the south side. In the summer, when the sun is more overhead, it may not make a difference which way you park. I'm sure your aware, it takes a small amount of shade to kill the whole panel. Jack mentioned 3 places above for solar panels, I'm familiar with the first 2, which are well thought of. Starlight solar in Yuma is a good source for lithium batteries.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcash View Post
I just purchased a 2016 4369 DS, the batteries are shot and I want to install Li batteries and a solar system.

Anyone know the best place to purchase the batteries and panels and how many will fit on the roof of a 2016 4369 and what has been your experience so far.

I installed a system with AGM batteries and 2 panels on my boat a few years back and love that it really cuts down on generator time...less noise and fuel burn :-)

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Curt
I put 7 -200 watt Renogy Panels on the roof. I have 8- Battleborn 100ah batteries. A Victron 250/100 MPPT charge controller. Also Have 2- 3000 watt Magnum inverters. All from Battleborn.
Hambones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:46 PM   #9

Thanks for all the great input Guy's...keep it coming !!!

I will do the installation...and love projects like this. I did do the solar system install on my boat and purchase the solar system and AGM batteries purchased from Arizona Wind and Solar...they are great people and a big help with answering questions.

Lots of research to do for sure and thought I would just start here for some expert advise :-)

Cheers,

Curt from rainy Seattle !!!
Old 02-07-2021, 08:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
This is what was done on my coach. Not my exact coach but very similar. Marvin has done a great job putting this system together. If you have questions send me a PM.
Old 02-07-2021, 10:10 PM   #11

Wow !!! That is great information....thanks so much for this :-)

Cheers,

Curt
Old 02-08-2021, 08:00 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree with Oregonhiker. Take a look at AM Solar. I just put 1200 watts of solar on our Dutch Star. Am Solar assisted in specing out my complete kit. I did the work myself. They have great technical support videos and also are just a phone call away. My first solar install I used Renogy. A good company but I really like AM Solars complete kit with everything you need.
IDWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels